PDA

View Full Version : programs missing

Daveroo
April 30th, 2017, 08:43
im putting this here because i have no idea where else to ask.but why would programs just disappear? im using win 10,and last night i noticed that spadnext,AS16 and FTX central had disappeared.just vanished...they haven't wrote programming to make programs get deleted have they?...like if Microsoft and win 10 doesn't like it..poof?

aeromed202
April 30th, 2017, 12:31
I don't know Dave. But over the years I've had some of my anti-malware programs disappear or be castrated by something that quietly overpowered it. In those cases reinstallation is difficult because there are often enough fragments left to make the computer think it's still there, but not enough to function or uninstall itself. System restore usually does just that, puts things (programs and settings) back as they were but I don't know if W10 has that feature. Could it have decided you don't use them often and "tidied" up for you, relegating them to a storage area? I've heard W10 takes many liberties, folks at MS believing they know better, had to push those intrusions back whence they came on the wifes LT.

Penzoil3
April 30th, 2017, 13:39
A false anti virus positive would be my guess. Check your quarantine folders. You may have to exclude those files from checking. I routinely exclude my sim folders.
Sue

llanning08
April 30th, 2017, 15:35
Very good advice from Penzoil3. Quarantine does not move or change the target. It is "hidden" from the system. When restored from Quarantine, it should function as expected. Just updating an antivirus program can cause this effect and any .exe or .dll can be considered suspicious by the antivirus program. After restoring, exclude the program (or entire directory) to preclude future problems. I also have excluded my FlightSim directories from antivirus checking.
It is why it is good practice to disable antivirus progams while installing new scenery, aircraft or Flightsim addons.

Daveroo
April 30th, 2017, 18:19
i started with checking the files,thanks sue,and as that helped,i also ran CCleaner,but what fixed it was when i realized that the user account settings had been changed,i reset that and its all fine...go figure.

gman5250
May 1st, 2017, 03:25
I could probably write a white paper on the ongoing Win10 saga...but I've installed it now, twice, so I must own my decisions and live with...errrr....progress.
The second time has resolved the update glitches and the program is much more stable. I also installed industrial strength security.

I still experience odd anomalies...usually small. Programs, task bar buttons, files...etc. etc. etc. go AWOL on a fairly regular basis. Most are found or repaired with no permanent damage.

Today, all of my FSUIPC programing for my Warthog Throttle had just vanished. Only the throttle was missing...the stick and pedals were fine.
Spent about an hour re-programing the throttle, switches and key assignments. I'll be sure and back those up once things are fine tuned.

I notice that Win10 is constantly becoming more sophisticated in predicting what ads and click bait Google want's me to receive. In my opinion, I think MS and it's partners prioritize the OS to benefit themselves, rather than the end user. Of course...that is my humble opinion.

Not so humble opinion: Click Bait...should be re-classified as offensive material. That crud gets progressively worse...and worse...and worse.
Interesting psychology though. Bernays "squared".

BTW...noticed that ads in the middle of YouTube vids are more frequent, and some (unsolicited) pop up ads go full page with no way to exit them, short of exiting the browser.

I'm still curious. What genius at MS decided that removing the ability for folders to remember size and layout would make my life easier? :banghead:

:encouragement:

Penzoil3
May 1st, 2017, 15:15
I highly recommend this little add on for windows 10. Makes it much more civilized.
http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Dangerousdave26
May 2nd, 2017, 06:44
I found an issue with my only Windows 10 laptop a few months ago. some things were missing or just plain not working. i tried rebooting and it did not help.

Doing a little research I found out that when you click the shutdown button on the Windows 10 start button it actually goes to sleep rather than shut down. I found instructions that told me to change the power management settings to make it shutdown instead of sleep but that did not help it still went to sleep over shutdown. The only way to fix the issue was to open a command prompt and type shutdown /s

That fixed the issue as the error was finally cleared out with a full shutdown.

I made a batch file with the command and put a shortcut on the desktop for when I want to shut down vs sleep. Sleep has its advantages such as far shorter startup time. We all know however every once in awhile you have to shut down a windows PC.

Daveroo
May 2nd, 2017, 08:18
can i ask how to create a batch file?..i suppose i could google it,but im lay...moms sick again,shes talking about a care facility...which shocked me as she always says "nothing is wrong,im ok" so im worried shes not good at all.

Dangerousdave26
May 9th, 2017, 11:21
a batch file is just a txt file that ends in .bat

Use you favorite text editor and create new text file with the name shutdownNow.bat

It could be any name as long as it ends in .bat.

in the body of the file just have this line

shutdown /s

It needs to have a return after the /s so make sure you press return before the final save.

You can save the file from the desktop or as I do in a folder on the PC and place the shortcut on the desktop. I don't like cluttering up the desktop with a lot of files (full size that is) so i use short cuts to anything I absolutely want on the desktop.