PDA

View Full Version : Is AffinityMask Important??

Aharon
April 16th, 2017, 06:15
Shalom and greetings all my pals,

While I am working hard to modify and sharpen FSX's settings to get crisp sharp ground textures from FL350 which I am doing well, I have one more question for all of you please

Is AffinityMask entry in FSX.cfg important or not? Will AffinityMask result into sharper ground textures from FL350?

And should I use AffinityMask=84 in my FSX.cfg? Is it correct number?

I know it is old news and old topic for all of you but AffinityMask is new thing for me even though I have been flying on FSX for almost 10 years.

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
April 16th, 2017, 06:28
Aharon..

why are you posting the same question all over the globe?
ATB
DaveB:)

malibu43
April 16th, 2017, 06:31
I don't think you'll know if AM will help you until you try it, and the number that you use is unique for each system.

I recently followed this guide and got a small fps and smoothness improvement.

forums/topic/444793-one-tweak-to-rule-them-all-how-to-set-affinity-mask-correctly/

ncooper
April 16th, 2017, 07:23
Arguably today's processors are perfectly capably of running FSX
without the need for an Affinity Mask.
Almost all tweaks were published in the days when there just wasn't
enough power in a PC to run it properly.
They are pretty much all redundant and the owners of a 4+ghz CPU and
a decent graphics card will see no difference with or without.
If you disagree, given that it is very simple to set up, perhaps the time
spent posting the question might be better spent testing the various options.

DaveB
April 16th, 2017, 07:46
hahahaha..

I've a very tired i5 2500K (3.3-3.7gig) and GTX560Ti Nick and to be brutally honest, I've never been able to say 'WOW.. adding Affinity Mask has really sped things up or even made a difference'. Can't remember exactly which Dev it is now but there's at least one out there that will add the section as part of an install routine. Aerosoft, Milviz??

ATB

Mach3DS
April 16th, 2017, 07:58
Affinity mask simply tells FSX what CPU to ignore while using the others. The idea is to mask "Core 0" which by default handles windows processes and thereby theorrhetically not interfering with FSX processes. Leaving all your other cores open to run FSX. This doesn't directly affect textures. If you want crisp and clear textures you need to edit 2 other CFG entries. I don't remember off hand but they control the time between loading ...Bufferpools I think? And another one. If you're experiencing for issues try changing your [smallpartrejectradius] entry. This will change the distance to which objects are visible and rendered in sim. Can improve fps. Problem with tweaking is once you start you'll be tweaking forever. Chances are if you want a flawless experience in FSX you need a desktop Intel core i7 with 4+ghz. And a video card to match. Otherwise your CPU will be sending too much data to your video card which it can't handle or if your CPU is on low end you're not able to send enough data fast enough. That's the bottom line. Switch to P3D for a more uniform experience with GPU tessellation.

Mach3DS
April 16th, 2017, 08:00
hahahaha..

I've a very tired i5 2500K (3.3-3.7gig) and GTX560Ti Nick and to be brutally honest, I've never been able to say 'WOW.. adding Affinity Mask has really sped things up or even made a difference'. Can't remember exactly which Dev it is now but there's at least one out there that will add the section as part of an install routine. Aerosoft, Milviz??

ATB

Not milviz IIRC...it actually will interfere with the F4 system coding. Which is optimized for using multiple cores.

Aharon
April 17th, 2017, 06:17
Thanks all for kind advices and tips. I think I shall skip affinity mask.

Regards,

Aharona

Aharon
April 17th, 2017, 06:21
why are you posting the same question all over the globe?

Guilty as charged :biggrin-new::biggrin-new: Because FSX experts live all in different parts around the globe hence me posting questions in different parts all over the globe. :adoration::adoration:

For example, British FSX experts live in your famous part in the globe (hint hint) and Israeli FSX experts live in another part in the globe and so on.

Regards,

Aharon