PDA

View Full Version : Formation Landing (MV F-100D)

Mach3DS
April 15th, 2017, 02:21
Since Dutch was having so much fun making videos...I thought I'd share another too! Just a couple of knuckle heads having fun in the Milviz F-100D. Yes, it's P3D, but more traffic here...Using PTA lighting Mod and AS16.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B43c_mD9H1xXSG9lRnR6aG9MSTA

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43c_mD9H1xXSG9lRnR6aG9MSTA/view?usp=sharing)

n4gix
April 15th, 2017, 05:56
Oh, so very nicely done Rick! :jump:

jankees
April 15th, 2017, 06:05
Very impressive

mal998
April 15th, 2017, 06:11
Well done boys! Can we get a readout on that scenery? It looked pretty good.

awstub
April 15th, 2017, 06:17
Nice vid, Rick.

It's actually worth watching just as a good instructional on formation landings.

What type of multi-player connection method were you guys using?

Stu

Since Dutch was having so much fun making videos...I thought I'd share another too! Just a couple of knuckle heads having fun in the Milviz F-100D. Yes, it's P3D, but more traffic here...Using PTA lighting Mod and AS16.

Duckie
April 15th, 2017, 06:17
N i c e !...

Mach3DS
April 15th, 2017, 09:57
Thanks gents! It does help to consistently fly with someone who knows what they are doing to bring me up to speed on formation flights. There's a lot of work that's gone on to get to this point. We started in the T-6II and then quickly moved in to the T38 and then the Hun, F4E and others. Once some practical knowledge is learned and practiced you can apply it to basically any airplane. It fun to share success stories. What you don't see here are all the times in the T38 that I plowed it into runway...haha...just a couple of times.

xpelekis
April 15th, 2017, 10:41
It does help to consistently fly with someone who knows what they are doing
That's very true and overall another nice video.

Mach3DS
April 15th, 2017, 11:21
Scenery is Blue sky Scenery freeware. I'm using the P3D PTA lighting tool to adjust the lighting even further within the HDR realm. Im using light scattering and haze effects as well as ambient lighting and shadow darkening. All realm time not post process.

mal998
April 15th, 2017, 11:35
Bluesky freeware eh? I'll have to check it out, it looks pretty good.

I haven't done much flying in my P3Dv3 as I thought the lighting in general looked washed out compared to FSX.

Mach3DS
April 15th, 2017, 11:57
Yeah P3D needs custom user input within the sim settings itself. Generally you do need to turn HDR ON to benefit from the improved lighting engine. Beyond that, PTA (P3D Tweak Assistant) is a must have tool. It's freeware and you can donate to further development. It's how I obtain the realistic lighting and haze scattering effect at a distance. Its also how I darken shadows and increase lighting from the sun for more natural lighting and shading without altering the white balance or colors balance.

Mach3DS
April 15th, 2017, 12:10
Multiplayer is direct connect. Although during missions we have a dedicated 24/7 server which is direct connect. We don't use FSJoin...although we need to try it again with the new improvements. The reason being is that we want same weather showing and TOD in order to be able to run missions and formation correctly.

Navy Chief
April 15th, 2017, 16:01
Rick, that is a awesome video! NC

Mach3DS
April 15th, 2017, 16:34
Thanks NC! It's a challenge every time. Some flights are much better than others!

MustangL2W
April 15th, 2017, 18:20
That was awesome...... Looks like Sooooo much fun!!

StormILM
April 15th, 2017, 19:47
Rick, what program are you guys using to get that realistic sounding radio comms sound?

Mach3DS
April 15th, 2017, 19:55
It's a Team Speak 3 Plugin called Radio FX.

StormILM
April 15th, 2017, 20:21
It's a Team Speak 3 Plugin called Radio FX.

Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

odourboy
April 16th, 2017, 14:39
Just saw this now. Beauty guys! :encouragement:

Anthin
April 16th, 2017, 15:45
Wow! Great video.Great formation flying.
I wish to hell I was able to do what you guys
are doing.

Anthin...:applause:

gman5250
April 16th, 2017, 16:20
That...was really enjoyable Rick. Great formation flying, great video work...two thumbs up. :encouragement::encouragement:

Mach3DS
April 16th, 2017, 18:36
Thanks guys! Gordon, what you see is what you get! I used shadow play to record so there's no going back to capture "the perfect shot" so eveythi ng you see was realtime. Glad you enjoyed it!

The cool part about formation once you're in the zone, is that if you can imagine I didn't actually look at my airspeed until after I landed. I was trusting that Toby was on speed and altitude.

ejoiner
April 16th, 2017, 19:21

That
was
impressive!

TuFun
April 16th, 2017, 20:03
Very cool, especially the communications between you two!

eddie
April 16th, 2017, 22:02
Really great video!

mig21bis
April 17th, 2017, 07:56
Hey, all:

If you feel inspired by Rick's video of our session, let's connect and get you into some formation work. As Rick said, the key is to start out slow (and out wide, not tight), and just log time getting used to making small adjustments to hold position. It takes a few sessions, and you'll be surprised how you'll see yourself start dialing it in.

It's sort of a "Zen" thing as wingman, as you fly only by reference to Lead - don't look at your instruments, just focus on lead and holding your position. That's the "contract" between wingman and lead - wingman commits to staring at lead no matter what, and lead promises to not kill the flight...

For the record: none of us would yap away during a "critical phase of flight" in real life, right? Only in the sim, if everything looks stable. In this case, last-minute info replaced a pre-flight brief. Again, something we'd never skip in real life.

Hope you join us!

Toby

Mach3DS
April 17th, 2017, 08:19
Great idea Toby. +100

Duckie
April 17th, 2017, 08:21
Hey Toby and Rick, I'd definitely be interested in this. Thanks very much for the offer.

Steve

Edit: Well, I forgot, I'm FSXA, not P3D.

Mach3DS
April 17th, 2017, 10:50
The next step is going to be flying an AP in formation into IMC.

DUCKIE. From what I'm reading the newest version of JoinFS is able to join players cross platform without it feeling like you're flying on rails...if that's true then we shouldn't have an issue.