PDA

View Full Version : Best operating system ??

flyindave
April 12th, 2017, 17:04
I need to upgrade from vista, What is best for FSX 7 / 8 / 10 ? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

Gateway FX 6801
system type x64 based PC
Intel i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
Total physical memory 12GB
Total virtual memory 24.1
Total available memory 19.0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

dharry
April 12th, 2017, 23:30
I need to upgrade from vista, What is best for FSX 7 / 8 / 10 ? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

Gateway FX 6801
system type x64 based PC
Intel i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
Total physical memory 12GB
Total virtual memory 24.1
Total available memory 19.0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

Windows 7 x64 is fine but Microsoft quite literary forced Windows 10 onto Windows 7 users. Windows 10 will work fine and is/will be needed for certain games anyway (Direct X12).

Therefore, my recommendation is Windows 10 x64 and if you’re not already, use the Steam version of FSX, not the old discs. It doesn't cost much and does get reduced several times in the year.
One final point regarding steam; Steam add-ons only work with Steam FSX due to DRM but the disc version add-ons tend to work with both providing the installer allows both or you can manually copy files to the right places.

stansdds
April 13th, 2017, 01:51
My next computer will have Windows 10. As much as I love XP and Windows 7 was also reported to be the second coming of XP, Windows 10 is the future. Unless you are going to build a dual-boot system, Windows 10 is the way.

cavaricooper
April 13th, 2017, 02:55
FWIW I disagree- I recently built a Skylake box (OC to 4.6gHz) with M2 drives and a GTX1080, fairly recent HW- and went with Windows 7 x64 Pro. Have never regretted my decision. Windows 10 does many things I'm not keen on....

Again, please remember what they say about opinions- this is mine- it doesn't make it correct.

Best- Carl

txnetcop
April 13th, 2017, 03:16
I have Windows 7 and 10 and I have had no problems with either running FSX, or X-Plane 10. I have FSX-SE on Windows 10 and FSX with SP1 and SP2 on Win 7 (loaded 5 years ago). Two computers I am building for friends all have Windows 10...their choice.
Ted

Bjoern
April 13th, 2017, 06:43
Windows 10, because once you've minimized its nosiness, it's a bloody darn good operating system.

Moses03
April 13th, 2017, 06:59
I have had good luck with Windows 8.1 and now 10. Besides, support for Windows 7 will be ending soon. Best to keep ahead of the push if possible.

http://i.imgur.com/dvzd99W.jpg

vortex
April 13th, 2017, 07:32
I was a big fan of Windows 7 but when I built my new system last year I decided to give Windows 10 a try and haven't looked back. I think that most of the problems people have had with Windows 10 have been as a result of upgrading from an earlier version of Windows so try to do a clean install, if possible. Windows 10 isn't perfect but, once you stop it sending data home (which is simple to do), it's probably the best version of Windows, in my opinion. I use it with FSX:SE and it's worked flawlessly.

RobM
April 13th, 2017, 07:39
I didn't think you had much choice anymore for new builds except Windows 10.

Like box FSX, Microsoft has stopped producing Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 discs and downloads. Around my area, there's
certainly no more of the cheaper Windows 7 OEM discs. All that's available are a few of the much more expensive Windows 7 Pro
box discs.

But even apart from that, I thought the newer motherboards with the newer Intel chipsets would only allow Windows 10 install,
or at least you couldn't install older versions of Windows without a lot of hassle. I don't know about motherboards with AMD
sockets.

Or so I've been reading (I've been kicking around the idea of doing a new PC; the old one with Win 7 still works pretty good, but
is getting around 6 years old).

Thanks - Rob