PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Active Sky 2016

Navy Chief
April 11th, 2017, 12:28
On the recommendation of someone, I bought Active Sky 2016, but am having a problem with errors, as shown when it boots up. Not able to fix so far. Here are screenshots. Note: I only have FSX SE installed, but for some reason, I have two directories for appdata.... NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49055&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49056&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49057&stc=1

DaveB
April 11th, 2017, 12:35
Hi NC:wavey:

AS16 (like ASN) writes an entry to exe.xml. This is what it added to mine:

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>as_btstrp_config_manager</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Path>as_srv\as_btstrp_config_manager.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

It's possible that you don't have an exe.xml present or.. it's garbled in some way. Not many programs write to exe.xml.. most add bits to dll.xml so unless you've used a program that actually needs it, you may not have noticed.

EDIT: I see you have both FSX and FSX SE installed. Depending on which one you're using, check to see if exe.xml is present. It's possible AS16 doesn't know where to look.

ATB
DaveB:)

Navy Chief
April 11th, 2017, 12:54
Hi NC:wavey:

AS16 (like ASN) writes an entry to exe.xml. This is what it added to mine:

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>as_btstrp_config_manager</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Path>as_srv\as_btstrp_config_manager.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

It's possible that you don't have an exe.xml present or.. it's garbled in some way. Not many programs write to exe.xml.. most add bits to dll.xml so unless you've used a program that actually needs it, you may not have noticed.

EDIT: I see you have both FSX and FSX SE installed. Depending on which one you're using, check to see if exe.xml is present. It's possible AS16 doesn't know where to look.

ATB

I only have FSX SE installed. NO idea why there are two directories. I have tried "pointing" AS16 to the SE directory, but it is not recognizing it...:dizzy::banghead: NC

DaveB
April 11th, 2017, 13:04
Hmm..

Looking at the date on your FSX folder (not SE).. something has written to it today. The date on your SE folder is 7th March. I get the feeling that this is the cause of your problems. Did you actually uninstall FSX? MS programs are notorious for not removing everything and FSX is a pig!

ATB

Navy Chief
April 11th, 2017, 13:07
Hmm..

Looking at the date on your FSX folder (not SE).. something has written to it today. The date on your SE folder is 7th March. I get the feeling that this is the cause of your problems. Did you actually uninstall FSX? MS programs are notorious for not removing everything and FSX is a pig!

ATB

A long time ago. The thing is, my FSX Steam works just fine; no problems. Am somewhat leary of messing with anything, but just unsure how to proceed. NC

DaveB
April 11th, 2017, 13:24
Yep.. and I feel your trepidation. I'm a big fan of 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'!!

Wish I knew what to suggest for the best. It certainly looks like AS16 might be writing to the wrong place but it knows your install is SE so the program isn't seeing the exe.xml file. Do you have an exe.xml file in the FSX SE folder? If you don't or if the one there is blank.. it may be worth copying the one from your FSX folder to the SE folder. Have a look at it first to check there's nothing that may cause SE to trip up. The only things you should be seeing are the executable for exe.xml itself and the as bootstrap entry. There may be an AICarriers entry too if you've had that 'auto load'. Tread carefully and you might get away with it. Doesn't explain why AS16 might be writing to the wrong place though.

ATB

ncooper
April 11th, 2017, 13:30
Active Sky is capable of dealing with installations of FSX and FSX-SE together, whether they
actually exist or whether they are there because the registry still says that they are.

You could always try following what it says on the screen and back up and then delete
the file it's having trouble with, as it is asking you to do.

DaveB
April 11th, 2017, 13:47
That is true but why is AS trying to write to it anyway?

Pete.. open the FSX folder, locate exe.xml and rename it to exe.bak then see what happens.

ATB

Navy Chief
April 11th, 2017, 14:51
That is true but why is AS trying to write to it anyway?

Pete.. open the FSX folder, locate exe.xml and rename it to exe.bak then see what happens.

ATB

Will try that and get back to ya....! NC

UPDATE: Dave, your suggestion worked, THANK YOU!! And everyone else who made suggestions as well. You folks, as always, are the best! NC

DaveB
April 11th, 2017, 14:57
OK mate.. it should do no harm as the FSX folder is, to all intents, inactive. Renaming the exe.xml folder in there will at least stop AS16 seeing it;)

ATB

ncooper
April 12th, 2017, 00:29
Hello,
Renaming the file has of course the same effect as deleting it.
I would expect that Active Sky has now written
a new exe.xml file into the apparently redundant FSX folder.
I would think that it will continue to check that location.
While it should do no harm, it does suggest that the windows
registry has FSX recorded in it as well as FSX-SE.

DaveB
April 12th, 2017, 03:47
Is it a case of the folder is there so AS is writing to it or AS is expecting it to be there because it's still in the registry.. or a combination of both? If it's advised to leave FSX in the registry even if FSX SE is installed and FSX isn't, then surely.. this is a vicious circle. If AS is writing to it because it's a legitimate folder (even though the host program no longer exists) perhaps renaming the old FSX folder would stop it. Question is though.. would it complain if it wasn't there?:dizzy: It all seems rather too clever for it's own good.

Still.. we've yet to learn if renaming the exe.dll has worked. Fingers crossed it will have but I have my doubts.
ATB

Navy Chief
April 12th, 2017, 13:05
Is it a case of the folder is there so AS is writing to it or AS is expecting it to be there because it's still in the registry.. or a combination of both? If it's advised to leave FSX in the registry even if FSX SE is installed and FSX isn't, then surely.. this is a vicious circle. If AS is writing to it because it's a legitimate folder (even though the host program no longer exists) perhaps renaming the old FSX folder would stop it. Question is though.. would it complain if it wasn't there?:dizzy: It all seems rather too clever for it's own good.

Still.. we've yet to learn if renaming the exe.dll has worked. Fingers crossed it will have but I have my doubts.
ATB

Oh yes it did work! I had replied almost instantly, but you missed reading that. Thank you! NC:encouragement:

DaveB
April 13th, 2017, 07:18
New glasses and I STILL missed it:banghead:

Thanks for posting NC.. glad you're up and running:encouragement:
ATB