View Full Version : Ai carriers install in P3d

gray eagle
March 2nd, 2017, 12:57
I am starting this thread under P3D as I had started this topic here
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/104789-Team-SDB-Enterprise

PhantomTweak
March 3rd, 2017, 00:15
Mr. Grey_Eagle, sir,
I believe I have discovered your trouble.
With P3D v3.3 and later (3.4, 3.5, whatever), the AICarriers needs to be IN your P3D folder.
Say your P3D sim is located, for the sake of examples, in P:\games\P3D (Where all the P3D folders are:Add-on Scenery, Modules, effects, and so on)
You then need to have AIC thus: P:\games\P3d\AICarriers
And in your EXE.xml file it needs to be <Path>P:\games\P3d\AICarriers\aicarriers.exe</Path>

It may work fine in the current location for FSX, or FSX:SE, but it's been found out that for P3D it has to be as I've shown.
For more detailed information on this, try reading http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11293.msg98911.html#msg98911 and down. Some very good info on AICarriers in the entire thread, but the shown entry and the entries below it (after it, I mean) seem the most applicable to your situation.

Hope this helps :)
Pat☺

gray eagle
March 3rd, 2017, 04:59
Thank you very much !!!:biggrin-new: That link you provided was very helpful (I scrolled to the bottom and read this new nugget:

1. Create a folder AICarriers In the P3D v3 directory.
2. Copy Conf.d , AICarriers.CFG and AiCarriers.EXE into it.
3. Copy the file Sample_EXE.XML into the AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v3 folder
4. Open the XML file (I use Notepad++, it is very easy to use)
5. Click on the Sample_EXE.XML file; in the address bar this will show the file's path as C>ProgramFiles(x86)>.....>AICarriers>AICarriers.exe
6. Click on the address, you will see the file's a address change to C:\Program Files(x86)\.....\AICarriers\AICarriers.exe
7. You can copy this and paste it into the .XML file (after removing the existing text)
8. Save

The advantage of is method is that the path and file name is created by the PC so all the ":" and spaces etc. are correct and there is no confusion over "l" and "1" etc.

I followed all the above and now this is what my exe.dll looks like
BTW when I fired up P3d and saw that little aicarrier icon on lower right corner of monitor (AI CARRIER CONNECTED), I knew it was going to work.
Guess the "wires" were really crossed in getting this to work but glad it's working. :encouragement:

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>AICarriers</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>P:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\AICarriers\AICarriers.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Mr. Grey_Eagle, sir,
With P3D v3.3 and later (3.4, 3.5, whatever), the AICarriers needs to be IN your P3D folder.
Say your P3D sim is located, for the sake of examples, in P:\games\P3D (Where all the P3D folders are:Add-on Scenery, Modules, effects, and so on)
You then need to have AIC thus: P:\games\P3d\AICarriers
And in your EXE.xml file it needs to be <Path>P:\games\P3d\AICarriers\aicarriers.exe</Path>

It may work fine in the current location for FSX, or FSX:SE, but it's been found out that for P3D it has to be as I've shown.
For more detailed information on this, try reading http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11293.msg98911.html#msg98911 and down. Some very good info on AICarriers in the entire thread, but the shown entry and the entries below it (after it, I mean) seem the most applicable to your situation.

Hope this helps :)
Pat☺

PhantomTweak
March 3rd, 2017, 10:36
Glad you got it going!
That entire thread on the FSDT forum is a wealth of AIC information. I keep up with it constantly. Along with several others, too :D

Current project they have going is another update for the FSX BA F/A-18C. Current edition is v16.1, but we're beta testing the v17.1.11. Hard to believe that they can improve on that plane, but they get it better and better with every edition. I can't say enough good about it.
Sorry, I get carried away on that plane.

vLSO has gotten some real improvements lately, as well. Amazing program. Might want to give it a look. I just have to say, though, that the AI LSO's that Paddles programmed seem to have a built-in "hate PhantomTweak" bit of code. :dizzy::a1310::biggrin-new:
Have fun with it!
Pat☺

fsafranek
March 5th, 2017, 14:01
Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of updating the P3D sections of the Enterprise manual.
Will check this out and definitely incorporate if it works better/reduces support calls.
:ernaehrung004:

Daube
March 6th, 2017, 01:05
Mr. Grey_Eagle, sir,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, but this sentence above is surprising to me.
Currently, my P3D 3.3.5 is in g:\Prepar3Dv3\, while my AICarrier.NET is installed in c:\AICarriers\, and nevertheless it works without problems :)

PhantomTweak
March 6th, 2017, 11:59
Ok. I don't have P3D, so I was just going by what I had read on the FSDT forums. If it works for you in C:\AICarriers, that's great :)
I was jut giving a solution that seemed to work well for others that had had troubles with it, on the FSDT forum. Best I could offer.
I think that to get it to start automatically, the usual trouble people have is a path error in the exe.xml file. I am not sure, but I think the biggest problem with it is caps in the right place, or front vs back-slashes, semi-colon vs full colon, things like that, but I am frequently wrong.
Anywho, glad it works for you as is :D
Pat☺

Daube
March 6th, 2017, 12:37
I think you are right when you mention the path problems in the EXE.xml file.
This is the main source of errors, no matter if the Java or the .NET version of AICarrier is used.

fsafranek
March 7th, 2017, 16:36
I think you are right when you mention the path problems in the EXE.xml file.
This is the main source of errors, no matter if the Java or the .NET version of AICarrier is used.
To counter this I have AI Carriers installed three times (tiny footprint relative to most everything else).
Since they each have their own "EXE.xml" file I use the original "AI Carriers" for FSX, and the .NET version for
FSX-SE and P3D in folders named "AI Carriers_SE" and "AI Carriers_P3D". This way they can have their
own unique set of available ships/boats as well.
:ernaehrung004:

PhantomTweak
March 7th, 2017, 22:00
Good idea!
I'll try to remember that, so I can advise others of it. Thanks!
One small note, if I may: Even in the boxed edition of FSX, the .NET version works better than the original. IN MY OPINION. I do know it uses fewer computer resources than the original, whatever version of FSX you use, and closes more reliably when FSX is closed. There was a problem with the original version with that I know for sure.
If you can't tell, I'm really sold on the .NET version, but again, this is MY opinion, and we all know what those are worth :D
Pat☺