PDA

View Full Version : While we're waiting on the Milviz Corsair

hews500d
February 9th, 2009, 07:14
I found this interesting link to a Corsair getting ready to undergo renovation.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23831

Darrell

krazycolin
February 9th, 2009, 07:51
Strangely enough, when we were building the Hog, we used that very site as a reference... we also emailed the guy who bought the plane and he sent us a lot more pics...

thanks to him once again!

BOOM
February 9th, 2009, 09:00
Those pics really give you a good idea of how long the nose actually is of a F4U!!
Great link
Thank You
/Patrick/

guzler
February 9th, 2009, 09:11
Crikey, hope they have a Haynes manual for it, looks mighty complex !

TomSteber
February 9th, 2009, 09:25
Hope some of that stimulus package is going for this!

Helldiver
February 9th, 2009, 09:40
Oh boy, that one is a really old Corsair. It didn't even have the bullet proof hardware or fuel tank . The Oxy flow regulator was old. There wasn't any floorboards in it.
We used to cobble one up out of plywood. If not, all the junk in the bilge, nuts, bolts, cigarette or cigar butts, old Baby Ruth wrappers would fly up when you went inverted.. Make a mess out of your uniform. However, the chewing gum could be rechewed.

hews500d
February 9th, 2009, 09:54
I bet that thing could tell some good stories if it could talk. :amen:

Darrell

fliger747
February 9th, 2009, 10:48
There is only one surviving New Zealand F4U, which has been nicely restored. Even has it's own book about the restoration! Especially interesting was the careful removal of the layers of paint to discover what it looked like at various times in it's career.

Cheers: T.

Naki
February 9th, 2009, 11:03
There is only one surviving New Zealand F4U, which has been nicely restored. Even has it's own book about the restoration! Especially interesting was the careful removal of the layers of paint to discover what it looked like at various times in it's career.

I am pretty sure there is two surviving NZ Corsairs - one flying here in NZ in US Navy Colours (should be repainted in RNZAF colours) and another unrestored example of which I am not sure where its located

Never seen a book of the NZ Corsair restoration..love to see it if one exists..I have one of the Hurricane and another of a P-40N that was restored in NZ.

Edit:
Info on the two NZ Corsairs:

http://motataircraft.blogspot.com/2007/12/ex-collection-aircraft.html

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/corsair.html

SkippyBing
February 14th, 2009, 06:19

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Fleet Air Arm Museum's example? Not sure of the mark but it was an RN example, not RNZAF one.

fliger747
February 17th, 2009, 15:54
If I was still in Australia I could trott down to Dymock's and find the book with the details. I happen to be in China at the moment. As with the usual deal with books in OZ, absolutly out of site price wise, but interesting in the restoration process. The layers of paint were removed and anaylized layer by layer to piece together a full history. I was in Auckland a few days ago but didn't bob in to the book store as I had a very short stay.