PDA

View Full Version : Another scam?

b52bob
February 13th, 2017, 05:53
I received an "emergency" phone call Friday saying my Microsoft operating system's certificate is expired. Please call this number immediately. A 1-800 number was provided.

anyone else receive a call like this?

scotth6
February 13th, 2017, 06:32
No. I haven't heard of this one. I'd say you would be best to just ignore it. Microsoft wouldn't be calling with such information. I'm sure your PC/Windows installation would let you know if a certificate of any importance was expired.

Cheers,

WarHorse47
February 13th, 2017, 06:35
Scam.

Companies like Microsoft will not call contact or notify end users over the phone.

molyned
February 13th, 2017, 07:07
Yes. I had this one recently. Told him it was a pirated copy so :biggrin-new:
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

Dangerousdave26
February 13th, 2017, 07:37
LOL

that's funny stuff right there.

aeromed202
February 13th, 2017, 09:20
Speaking of scams, this one might be worth knowing about as well. Seems there is a revival of the one where someone calls saying they are so-and-so from some company or other and asks if you can hear them alright. The unsuspecting good citizen of course says "yes". The caller then prattles on about anything for a few moments then finds some way to end the call. The surprise comes sometime later when another call comes in to say thank you for buying 'bla-bla' because they have a recording of you saying "yes" authorizing the purchase. I don't know how binding this actually is but it must work to a certain degree because it is making a comeback.