PDA

View Full Version : New PC on the way,need some help

Daveroo
January 6th, 2017, 06:18
Hi all,I had a major hard drive crash.i ran into a guy in the mobile home park I'm in,and was talking flight simming with him,told him I was having issues,well he works at a local pc repair shop and he offered to take a look at it,he just said,ya need a new HDD ...which meant I needed a copy of win10,according to him any way.bottomline,my mom offered to buy me a new pc.

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0Ghz 8MB Cache Quad-Core |Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan/Heatsink |ASUS Z170-A (Intel Z170, HDMI, 3xPCI-E, 7xSATA,4xDDR4) |32GB (8GBx4) PC4 17000 DDR4 2133Mhz Memory LifetimeWarranty (Major Brand) | 240GB Solid State Drive SATA3 (Major Brand) |
1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps Toshiba P300 |24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW | Onboard Intel HD 530 Video |
Windows 10 Home (Includes DVD and COA)
Corsair Black Carbide Series 200R (3 5.25, 4 3.5) 2 Fans,Audio/USB 3.0 |
Onboard 1Gbit LAN included |
Onboard HD 7.1 Sound included |
Sound Blaster Audigy FX
Wires and Cables ran behind case and tied up for maximumairflow |
im installing my asus nvidia GTX 1060 6gb video card and 1000w ps

what I need help with is,how do I set up my P3Dv3 install? I want to do as others have,the guy at ecollege.com they will put the OS on the SSD,
so
I install P3D on to the SSD,but as I install my orbix scenery and planes,do they get pointed to the HDD ? Or do I move them later?.ive been told that no mater where I put the files they will be seen by the sim,but how? I don't get it,maybe if someone could explain it to me in simple terms?not an excuse,but I do have ADD ADHD and it takes a lot,and I mean a lot for me to understand this sort of thing,but once I'm able to do it,then I'll remember it and be able to understand it all.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Stickshaker
January 6th, 2017, 07:12
I think you can safely put it on the SSD (I did the same with my previous computer) but i would place all P3D ‘material’ on the same disk, just to be safe.
Btw: why don't you buy an internal SSD and an external HDD?

Daube
January 6th, 2017, 07:18
I had a HDD crash on a laptop computer just a few weeks ago.
It was a 5 years-old laptop which had Win7 originally, but got upgraded for free to Win10.
I replaced the HDD but didn't need to buy any new Win10 copy. In fact, using another computer and a USB key, I could simply download a small tool program from the Microsoft website, by specifying my Windows licence key (formerly Win7, sticked on the computer). That small program (less than 30 Mb if I remember correctly) then proceeds to download a Windows 10 installation and puts it on the USB key, which is then made bootable.

Once this process was complete, I simply had to:
- install the new harddrive in the laptop
- plug the USB key in the laptop
- turn it on

Since the hardrive is empty, the laptop boots on the USB key and the Windows 10 install then starts. A few clicks later the installation starts. An hour later Win 10 was ready to use.
Since the HDD that crashed was still under warranty, it got exchanged for free (it was a 500Gb SSD from Sandisk). Most of the important files (pictures) were saved on other drives.
In the end, the replacement and reinstallation of Win10 didn't cost anything.

Daube
January 6th, 2017, 07:21
Concerning the location of P3D, I would confirm Stickshaker's answer: it would be good to install it on the SSD, then put the sceneries on the HDD.

Daveroo
January 6th, 2017, 07:28
Concerning the location of P3D, I would confirm Stickshaker's answer: it would be good to install it on the SSD, then put the sceneries on the HDD.

ok,but when i "put the sceneries on the HDD"..do i install to the ssd?..and then move them over?..or do i point them to the hdd right away? i just dont understand that part

Dangerous Beans
January 6th, 2017, 10:34
I wouldn't bother with the soundblaster IIWY, today's on board audio is more that good enough unless your an audiophile and want it for music use.

Daube
January 6th, 2017, 10:43
ok,but when i "put the sceneries on the HDD"..do i install to the ssd?..and then move them over?..or do i point them to the hdd right away? i just dont understand that part

It's been a while since I installed any scenery, honnestly.
I think you can choose the location upon scenery install. But in case you can't (some OrbX stuff might not be allowing this, perhaps), then you can simply install on the SSD at first, then move the OrbX folder to the HDD with a symbolic link pointing to it on the SSD.

Daveroo
January 6th, 2017, 13:12
a symbolic link

???? you tryin to make me nuts??..:dizzy:....sheeesh.....soooo tell me......whuts a a symbolic link and how do i do this?...

sorry but as i said...im "slow" and "dont apply " myself....this according to my school teachers........

Daube
January 6th, 2017, 14:44
Sorry for the confustion.
To simplify the explanation, the symbolic link is used to create a "fake" folder, which redirects to some other folder on some other drive. It's a bit like a windows shortcut (the icons with a small arrow in the corner).
This technique allows to move big folders away without having to change any configuration files or registry entries (so the programs are not confused).

For example: my Orbx stuff was installed into a big ORBX folder on my D: drive, and that drive was getting full. I needed to move that ORBX folder to another drive, but then the FTXCentral would get confused, and FSX/P3D wouldn't find the sceneries anymore...
So what I did was the following:
1- I moved the ORBX folder to my drive F, which was empty.
2- in the original location of that folder, I created a symbolic link named "ORBX", which was redirecting to F:\ORBX

Then in the end, in my drive D there is still some ORBX folder... excepted it's a fake one. In fact, it's a link, like a teleportation gate which leads to F:\ORBX without notice.
FSX still searches in d:\FSX\ORBX, and it finds what it was looking for. In reality, it reads from F:\ORBX, but it's not aware of that :) That's the symbolic link.
This is done from the Windows command prompt, using the command "mklink".

Daveroo
January 7th, 2017, 08:07
hanks,i googled it and ive got it now...lol...see takes me awhile and i end up gettin it.