PDA

View Full Version : What Addon?

Mach3DS
December 22nd, 2016, 21:58
Trying to make a decision between OPUS FS or AS16? Any suggestions? I'm looking for REAL weather. I've already got REX HD installed for textures. Should I go with OPUS? I'm Using P3Dv3. Will this work?

Daube
December 23rd, 2016, 00:20
Active Sky all the way.
Active Sky 16 (which is the most current version) is probably the best weather engine right now, but the previous version named "Active Sky Next" is still a very excellent product (and cheaper, because often in sales).

I have Active Sky Next in P3D v3.3.5. It allows me not only to get the real weather, but also the real weather of the date I chose for my flight.
For example, if today I start a flight in the sim, and I choose Seattle Tacoma on the 1st of August 2016, then the weather I get in the sim will be the weather they had in Seattle on the 1st of August. That's the historical weather mode, and it's also available in Active Sky 16.

Active Sky 16 can coupled with another product, ASCA (Active Sky Cloud Art). ASCA allows Active Sky to use different cloud textures based on the type of weather (instead of using just one set of clouds like normal weather engines do).
However, this raised the price a bit too much for my taste.
Also, I'm so satisfied with Active Sky Next that I don't feel the need to switch to the next version yet.

hae5904
December 23rd, 2016, 00:37
I agree with Daube Rick.

Active Sky Next is the one I'm using and as Daube already had mentioned, is the best around.

Cheers,
Hank

jeansy
December 23rd, 2016, 00:54
AS2016 get my vote

not a fan of opus, it has a few neat features but at the end of the day AS has the better engine

Dimus
December 23rd, 2016, 08:32
I am extremely happy with AS16 for P3D. I have all the previous AS versions, AS16 introduced a very nice haze layer which works wonders in P3D. I use REX4 and Soft Clouds for textures.

dougal
December 23rd, 2016, 09:50
AS2016 get my vote

not a fan of opus, it has a few neat features but at the end of the day AS has the better engine

What constitutes'better'when it comes to weather engine?
I like Opus simply for its very small footprint

Aharon
December 23rd, 2016, 09:52
Which software whether it is freeware or payware produces MOST realistic clouds for FSX use please? Want the software to set clouds at its own the same way FSX sets FSX default clouds at its own.

Thanks,

Aharon

henrystreet
December 23rd, 2016, 10:50
I used Opus for 2 years, then switched to ActiveSkyNext for over a year and am now using ActiveSky2016. My opinions relative to Opus are dated so understand from that perspective.

ActiveSky 2016 has the best cloud and weather depiction I've seen in any flight simulator. So far I haven't seen any sudden cloud shifts like I saw with Opus and even ASN. Winds in Opus could shift suddenly as well. Both Opus and ASN had problems with complete cloud whiteout. ASN, in particular, would fill the cockpit with clouds as part of trying to get the effect of zero visibility.

AS2016 does not seem to have any of these limitations. The weather transitions are very smooth with no "popping" clouds. Zero visibility out the VC is much more reasonable and subject to less compromises in visual quality. AS2016 is the best weather engine I've used that simulates the clouds moving past the VC. For example, when flying thru a cloud, there is a distinct sense of the closer parts moving faster and with greater texture detail. I've mentioned in another forum how startlingly immersive this was the first time it happened to me.

Mind you, I did NOT like ActiveSky Cloud Art. Their texture sets had too many visible repetitions in them for me. Check out the first screenshot of the ASCA SP1 set on their website. There are 4 repeats in the first shot. I have been using Rex Soft Clouds for over 2 years and very pleased with them.

Hope this helps.

Dimus
December 23rd, 2016, 11:55
Just check out this haze! SoCal, real weather at this time:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/VDimus132/2016-12-23_22-31-38-199_zps3sj0ctvy.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/VDimus132/2016-12-23_22-31-38-199_zps3sj0ctvy.jpg.html)

henrystreet
December 23rd, 2016, 17:24
Here is a subtle example of AS2016. Not very overwhelming but very realistic.

https://uchisworld.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/as2016-1.jpg

Mach3DS
December 24th, 2016, 00:22
I went with AS16....very impressed so far! We're having a winter storm here and it's really reproduced it very well! Especially the cloud layering and visibility. Best I've seen so far in FS! Thanks again. Merry Christmas everyone!