PDA

View Full Version : SDK location

SSI01
December 7th, 2016, 08:04
In the recent past I bought the FS Addon T-50 Bobcat, plus the CG-4A addons. They are both quite good indeed, worth the price paid. I am in the process of changing the tow plane for the CG-4A from the stock Maule to a DC-3. Instructions come with the CG-4A to allow this. I've followed them to the letter and have swapped the Maule for a DC-3 as the instructions specify. The basic instructions allow the swap for the two aircraft, however, the tow plane's landing gear and flaps remain down - and the aircraft continues to climb the entire time the glider is on the tow line. There are additional instructions included with the CG-4A to allow one to achieve some control input over the tow plane, but they involve the installation of what is called the "SDK" from Microsoft. I have FSX Acceleration and according to the instructions included in the CG-4A manual this SDK should already be somewhere in the computer with that version of FSX. Does anyone know where this SDK would be located?

johannesl
December 7th, 2016, 08:13
SDK is the Standard Developers Kit and if it wasn't installed it is on the CD and can be. Try a search of you hard drive.

pfflyers
December 7th, 2016, 08:46
I have the steam edition, which I've heard ships with an incomplete SDK.

That being said I have a folder called "SDK" in my main FSX folder.

SSI01
December 7th, 2016, 10:49
I checked my FSX Gold edition, which came with Deluxe and Acceleration. There is no SDK folder in my main FSX folder. After checking the disks, I discovered the SDK is on Disk 1. Just finished copying it over to the mail FSX folder so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Dimus
December 7th, 2016, 11:20
FSX SDK installation is not very straightforward. To correctly install the SDK that corresponds to the FSX version you have follow the procedure described here:

http://fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_(FSX)

SSI01
December 7th, 2016, 15:53
FSX SDK installation is not very straightforward. To correctly install the SDK that corresponds to the FSX version you have follow the procedure described here:

http://fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_(FSX)

Thanks. I've just noticed that. Twice it's installed to nowhere. They give really clear instructions with that program; they're to be congratulated.

BTW I'm running FSX Deluxe edition with Acceleration pack. In its usual, easy-to-understand way, MS does not tell you what version of FSX that equates to. SP1? SP2? Are both service packs included in this copy of FSX? There is no way to tell from looking at the box, or at the manuals that are included within the pack. My specific version of FSX is not listed in the link you helpfully provided; I'm going to go with what looks to be closest to what I have. We'll see what happens.

EDIT: I got through with the first part of that SP installation; that was to find and install SP1A per instructions. But the next step just clarifies the problem I referred to above - poor directions. The instructions tell me that after I install SP1A off the Acceleration disk, I'm supposed to browse to a folder called "SDK\"; unfortunately there are no instructions telling me where to find the folder SDK\.

Lane Street
December 7th, 2016, 16:23
You need to know what version of FSX you are using.

In your OP you said you are using Acceleration so...

FSX Acceleration Pack OR FSX Gold Pack users To install the SDK for FSX Acceleration Pack OR FSX Gold Pack:

Install the RTM SDK from FSX Deluxe Edition disk 1, (see 3.1.1 FSX Deluxe RTM users instructions above).
Insert your Acceleration Pack DVD.
Browse to the subfolder called SDK\SP1a\
Install the SDK SP1A from there using fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe, (dated 26/09/2007, size 165,569KB).
Browse to the folder called SDK\
Install the Acceleration SP2/XPack SDK using sdk.msi, (dated 06/10/2007, size 216,929KB).

The installer will put the SDK anywhere you want and where it goes doesn't really matter.

Before you start make a new folder somewhere named FSX SDK, then point the installer there.

cheers,
Lane

awstub
December 7th, 2016, 18:53
I think I read somewhere that you can download the P3D SDK for free and it is backwards compatible with FSX...and much easier to install.

Is this true?

hairyspin
December 7th, 2016, 21:56
The P3D v1.4 sdk is FSX compatible with 3ds Max for modelling tools, but for anything else it will be looking for a P3D install, not FSX. Follow the instructions in the FSDeveloper link above to the letter.

SSI01
December 8th, 2016, 03:26
You need to know what version of FSX you are using.

In your OP you said you are using Acceleration so...

The installer will put the SDK anywhere you want and where it goes doesn't really matter.

Before you start make a new folder somewhere named FSX SDK, then point the installer there.

cheers,
Lane

Thanks for that advice, Lane. Right now I'm looking at a copy of that "sdk.msi" in the "SDK" file, not the "SDK\" file. That "SDK" file is the same one I got the SP1A download from. The "sdk.msi" file I have is dated 9/26/2007. The instructions give the date 6/10/2007 for the same file. Is this compatible with SP1A?

Lane Street
December 8th, 2016, 17:24
Thanks for that advice, Lane. Right now I'm looking at a copy of that "sdk.msi" in the "SDK" file, not the "SDK\" file. That "SDK" file is the same one I got the SP1A download from. The "sdk.msi" file I have is dated 9/26/2007. The instructions give the date 6/10/2007 for the same file. Is this compatible with SP1A?

Yes, it is. It appears that the date given in the Wiki might not be correct for everyone.

To reiterate, Step 1...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45195&stc=1

Before Step 2, ...

you should copy the GMax installer folder to another location, (outwith SDK folder tree),
as applying the SP will delete the GMax installer folder.

...then...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45196&stc=1

...then Step 3...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45197&stc=1

You should now have the SDK installed.

cheers,
Lane

SSI01
December 9th, 2016, 03:39
OK Lane, will do.

EDIT: I'm grateful for your instructions, but the little caveat before Step 2 arrived a little too late. Where should I be looking for the GMax installer folder, to determine if it is in fact missing?

Dimus
December 9th, 2016, 08:05
Unless you intend to use Gmax to develop 3D models for FSX yourself, I don't think you need to worry about it.

SSI01
December 9th, 2016, 14:40
Excellent! That means I'm done with this thing, then.

Our agency had recently shifted over from revolvers to semi-automatic handguns for our personnel, and the maker of the firearms, Sig-Sauer, hosted a "train the trainer" session for our agency firearms instructors. They wanted to be certain our people could give accurate and easy to follow instructions to people on the firing line at ranges. The first day of this evolution, one of their weapons instructors walked into the training room with a grocery bag containing a new loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, another of grape jam, and a knife. He said he was going to assemble a peanut butter and jelly sandwich using only the instructions given him by the firearms instructors in the audience. He did only what they told him to do, and in the order they told him to do it, and wound up with a mess on that table and nothing even remotely resembling a sandwich.

Moral of the story? Keep the directions very simple, and break the steps down into single actions, not multiple actions in each step. Also make sure you tell everyone everything that has to be done in one step before you go to the next step. That eliminates the old (for example), "Now, proceed to step 2 and take off part 3 - but only after turning and engaging part 2." I recently took training for a professional certificate in a nursing-related field. I'd been out of college or university since 1986, but my time in govt service plus this little story helped me understand how many people blame others for not following instructions on something when they themselves couldn't give coherent instructions to save their own life.

I'm not including anyone who helped me with this problem, all the instructions that were given were easy to follow and I'm grateful for the help, believe me. It's just that it's aggravating at times to be berated by someone for not following instructions when you're given those instructions by someone who has no business giving them.

hairyspin
December 9th, 2016, 23:44
Good point, and I would like to have seen that "sandwich"! :p87:

Francois
December 9th, 2016, 23:49
I'll amend the manual and add a link to Arno's FSDeveloper forum for the instructions to install the SDK. No idea why MS made this such a clumsy procedure.

SSI01
December 10th, 2016, 09:01
Excellent, Francois. BTW I enjoy flying both aircraft, and I'm a "dark and cold start" kind of guy.