PDA

View Full Version : AstoriaVR

davido53
December 3rd, 2016, 17:55
anyone have any experience with this inexpensive VR gaming device?

Daube
December 5th, 2016, 00:06
I didn't know about this headset so I made a search on Google.
There was not even a single "well known" review website about this device. All the results were from totally unknown and Astoria-related websites.
This usually means: stay away from this device, until some serious reviews become available.
But maybe it's just paranoia.

falcon409
December 5th, 2016, 04:59
From what I've read, This only works as a viewer for phone Apps that are made specifically for smartphones to give a 3D immersive sensation while wearing the headset. This isn't a "gaming" device in that you can't use it for any PC related games or simulations.

Navy Chief
December 5th, 2016, 05:26
I will have to wait for VR headsets (that work with PCs) to come WAY down in price. Am hoping these gadgets, like anything else that is new to the market, will eventually become more affordable. NC

awstub
December 5th, 2016, 06:12
Well NC you may not have to wait too long (I hope!).

CastAR is getting very close to marketing their Augmented Reality system...and I think it will revolutionize gaming and especially flight simming.

The great thing about augmented reality is that you are able to see the virtual reality along with reality...something that most HMD's don't allow very well. S
So you will be able to see your keyboard and controls....or your homebuilt cockpit...and the virtual world at the same time.

Here is a demo with a "flight sim" that shows how the retro-reflective sheets work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HGrclGkIE

You can combine as many sheets as you want and have them wrap around you. It doesn't matter how close or far away the reflective surface is to you, because the virtual image does not get projected...so you could even paint a room with retro-reflective paint (like they use on road signs) and turn it into something like a "holodeck".

The principal designers explain how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpmKq_qg3Tk
A
nd the most exciting part....the developers have said publicly that they think they will be able to price their system in the $200 range.