PDA

View Full Version : FSX and Windows 10?

DaleRFU
November 25th, 2016, 08:34
My dad is looking at getting a new machine to run FSX (he's going to be an FS9 convert). both of us are not PC builders and don't fully understand everything that is classed as 'tech talk' but we have a basic understanding of what is needed. So we've been looking at getting a machine off the shelf (although we have been able to tweak it to give it a bit more umph i.e. pop and i7 in etc). The issue is they all come with windows 10. Are there any issues to running windows 10 and FSX as apposed to windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

Scandinavian
November 25th, 2016, 08:46
I can't speak for the original release, but I have had no issues so far with FSX Steam in Windows 10.

hschuit
November 25th, 2016, 08:54
I use the latest W10 (aka anniversary version 1607) and have no issues with FS9 or FSX. Initially I had W10 installed side by side with W7 (dual boot setup) and ran some comparison tests. Interestingly the program and launch flight loading times in W10 are longer but fps/smoothness is slightly better on my machine.

txnetcop
November 25th, 2016, 09:59
Zero problems with Win 10 and FSXSE, FSX Gold, X-Plane 10.5 and FS9.
Ted

jagl04
November 25th, 2016, 10:30
In general, I prefer windows 10 for FSX than previous versions, but I noted two problems, that can be solved:
1.- It is quite bizarre to add sceneries (as in windows 7 and 8), but it is possible: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?205432-Windows-7-Scenery-Addon-Installation-Bug-Fix
2.- The way to use weapons FSX or CCplanner with FSX is to open FSX as administrator

kiki
November 25th, 2016, 20:43
I am going to switch from my old trusted Vista to 10, finally. I need to do a clean install, right? Can I just take a copy of my huge FSX folder and simply put it back after the os install project?

dhazelgrove
November 26th, 2016, 00:13
This has been discussed many, many times in this forum but please don't use the default location suggestions.

I use "c:\fsx\" as my root directory, and this keeps FSX away from the extra protections on both "c:\program files\" and "c:\program files (x86)\".

Make life easier for yourself.

Dave

hschuit
November 26th, 2016, 01:33
Did you consider FSX Steam Edition? It is much easier to install, no hassle with Microsoft activation and some bugs of the old boxed version were fixed. FSX-SE is currently on sale for 12.49 Euros (http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/).

Willy
November 26th, 2016, 06:04
W10 with FSX SE & FS9 & Golden Wings 3 here. All run fine with the exception of the aircraft preview screens being black with FS9 & GW3 which is pretty much normal for those.

Desert Rat
November 26th, 2016, 08:38
All run fine with the exception of the aircraft preview screens being black with FS9 & GW3 which is pretty much normal for those.

I use a little program I found on Steam called Borderless Gaming (currently on-sale for the huge asking price of £0.83!!). It runs windowed apps and games without a window border, giving the impression of full-screen (bar the top menu bar is always there).
In it's options you can turn off the Steam hook so it can run on it's own without steam.

Jamie

PS. Not sure if you can get it without steam thou, but most of you Xers might have it already for SE.

Desert Rat
November 26th, 2016, 08:41
https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming

for those without steam.

DaleRFU
November 27th, 2016, 01:06
Did you consider FSX Steam Edition? It is much easier to install, no hassle with Microsoft activation and some bugs of the old boxed version were fixed. FSX-SE is currently on sale for 12.49 Euros (http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/).

If we use the Steam version can I still install all my non steam addons?

hschuit
November 27th, 2016, 01:52
If we use the Steam version can I still install all my non steam addons?

Should be no problem if you only have FSX-SE installed. Some people however install FSX-SE on top of FSX legacy (aka side by side), that is where older add on installers will get confused. FSX-SE as side by side creates an extra FSX-SE user settings folder which is not recognized by older add on installers because they only look for the default FSX legacy user settings folder.
If you have FSX-SE only (stand alone), FSX-SE will use the default FSX user settings folder hence no add on installation problems.