PDA

View Full Version : FSX repairs - ideas please

Naismith
November 23rd, 2016, 16:06
Blinking thing has gone tits up again. I usually do a complete uninstall/reinstall but wondering this time about a repair. What is the thinking as to how to go about it? I have FSX Gold with Acceleration.
Do I repair Acceleration then the main program, or the main program and then the Accel portion?

The event viewer gives no real clue as to what the problem is other than FSX.exe was at fault with a long code number. I'm just about sick of this unstable program. If it wasn't for the financial outlay over the years I would trash it.

FS9 still goes sailing on without issue.

scotth6
November 23rd, 2016, 21:43
Blinking thing has gone tits up again. I usually do a complete uninstall/reinstall but wondering this time about a repair. What is the thinking as to how to go about it? I have FSX Gold with Acceleration.
Do I repair Acceleration then the main program, or the main program and then the Accel portion?

The event viewer gives no real clue as to what the problem is other than FSX.exe was at fault with a long code number. I'm just about sick of this unstable program. If it wasn't for the financial outlay over the years I would trash it.

FS9 still goes sailing on without issue.

Hi,

I think you would need to repair FSX base first and then repair FSX Acceleration. Then depending on addons you have installed at the time, these may need to be reinstalled also.

Have you tried starting it with a base scenery.cfg and fsx.cfg first. I would also suggest trying backing up the dll.xml and exe.xml and trying to start it like that. Maybe you could narrow down what the problem is. It may be an addon. Good luck.

Cheers,

Naismith
November 24th, 2016, 00:39
Thanks for the reply, I have tried all your suggestions, slowly and carefully. The last resort of a repair failed. So I have decided not to stress out over it and apply the time honored 'If at first you don't succeed, give up'
I will now catch up with DCS which has been neglected this past year.

scotth6
November 24th, 2016, 02:43
Well that's not such a bad thing then ;) . DCS World is a gem of a simulation.

You can always start again with FSX, just start fresh with a new install, which often isn't a bad thing either.

Cheers,

Dev One
November 24th, 2016, 03:37
Try Google with the event number code, I'm sure you are not the only person with that problem.

henrystreet
November 24th, 2016, 04:55
Definitely 2nd the motion for more DCS. With the Nevada map and new aircraft (F-5 yeah!), things are looking bright.

If you still want to use your payware investments in FSX, would recommend you consider FSX-SE. My FSX-SE install has all of my payware investments working and is much more stable (and somewhat better performance) than boxed FSX Accel.

My only caveat if you choose FSX-SE is to remove FSX completely, especially from appdata and the registry. When you install FSX-SE on a system that has no signs of FSX, it completely emulates the original "Microsoft\fsx" file structures and registry. A big plus for older add-ons. (If FSX-SE installer detects any sign of FSX, it installs in "compatibility mode" and has different file structures/paths).

Good luck!