PDA

View Full Version : weather apps

dcc
November 21st, 2016, 17:11
I'm trying to improve the weather in my FS2004 installation. Until recently, I never used anything other than the built-in themes and 'real-world' weather downloads provided by the sim, so this is somewhat new territory for me.

I'm currently running FS Metar with a registered version of FSUIPC. I like the added clouds and more up-to-date conditions offered by FS Metar, and the smoother wind, pressure and visibility transitions between zones that FSUIPC offers. However, I still experience abrupt changes in clouds. For instance, I'll be flying along above a dense cloud bank and then FS Metar gets an update and the clouds completely disappear. And it's not like I was coming to the end of the cloud bank either.

Do any of the payware weather programs out there offer smooth "seamless" clouds from one weather station zone to the next ?

So far, what I've got is much better than what I had, just wondering if there's anything out there for FS2004 that could help with cloud transitions.

- dcc

Willy
November 21st, 2016, 17:53
Not an app, but the HDE textures by Pablo Diaz works wonders in FS9. HDE.zip at FlightSim

zswobbie1
November 21st, 2016, 20:56
And a newer version on Avsim, that is simply awesome.
File Description:
Photorealistic texture pack that will change the aspect of your Clouds (cumulus, stratus, cirrus), sky color, aircraft reflections and ground detail.

What's new in V2.0? - New and better photorealistic cumulus, better sky colors, some new cirrus, ENBseries.ini (Bloom effect with great performance). HDE v2 is compatible with your favorite weather engine and environment software.

Filename:
hdev2.zip

License:
Freeware

Added:
9th April 2010, 18:38:24

Downloads:

Author:
Pablo Diaz

Size:
24180kb

Sascha66
November 22nd, 2016, 05:48
Active Sky Evolution is the first weather injector which really works for me.

http://www.hifisimtech.com/

dcc
November 22nd, 2016, 17:56
Thanks for the tip on the HDE textures. I just tried them out and they're quite an improvement over the stock textures. I particularly like the clouds and sky colors -- the changes are subtle, but seem more lifelike.

I found that the aircraft reflection texture turned all the shiny silver metallic features into shiny gold, which, while it looked cool, wasn't quite what wanted. So I reverted back to the default for that one. All the others are great. I may have to use the slightly lower-res cumulus clouds though, as they tax my system when its full overcast.

Sascha66 -- that Active Sky Evolution looks like what I am looking for. I'm going to read up on it. Does it transition smoothly, or can you still notice distinct jumps in weather as you fly from one area to another? Thanks.

- dcc

Sascha66
November 23rd, 2016, 07:35
Sascha66 -- that Active Sky Evolution looks like what I am looking for. I'm going to read up on it. Does it transition smoothly, or can you still notice distinct jumps in weather as you fly from one area to another? Thanks.

- dcc

Haven't noticed any jumps at all, I'll try a long flight and see what happens.