PDA

View Full Version : Sidewinder on XP.

Circus
February 7th, 2009, 08:40
Hi all,

Having a problem with a Sidewinder joystick. It won't work with my PC and I'm at my wits end as I dug CFS3 out a while ago and have a real urge to play it. Before I used to use a 'plug and play' job, (can't remember make) which was a very nice joystick but it broke and now I'm stuck with this thing.

Auto detect doesn't work so I've tried doing it manually, you know scrolling through the list, then adding 2 axis and 4 button, as so many sites seem to recommend. But it doesn't work!!

As anybody had this problem? Pease can somebody help, I'm desperate to play again.

Cheers fellas!!

hairyspin
February 7th, 2009, 09:15
Are you using the USB version? If it's a gameport version, I don't think XP supports it without proper drivers. I have the Sidewinder FFB2 which just plugs and plays, but the original is a different kettle of fish.

Circus
February 7th, 2009, 09:45
Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that, it's the USB version.

I did read about how you can add a game driver?!?! Under Control Panel> System maybe?!? Could this solve the problem?

I should point out that I'm not very technical with computers. Sure I can do most of the 'surface' stuff, but when it gets quite technical, I'm a bit simple!!!

hairyspin
February 7th, 2009, 10:26
There should be an entry in Control Panel for game controllers, if not you may have to add it from your XP cd-rom. If that doesn't work, send me a PM (private message) with a useable email address and I'll send you the software that MS included with the Sidewinder FFB2 :typing:

STOP PRESS: the FFB2 drivers are at:- http://www.netwings.org/library/Utilities/index-2.html (http://www.netwings.org/library/Utilities/index-2.html)

Tailwind
February 7th, 2009, 12:19
Hi,

Plug it in. Cancel any install screens that pop up.Go to control Panel\Game controllers. Click on Add. Scroll down to Microsoft SideWinder(Auto Detect)

Let it detect the joystick. Windows native drivers should load the stick.

TW

Steven190
February 7th, 2009, 12:37
Do you have SP3 for XP?

I updated when asked to SP3 and my USB ports did not function correctly, worked for awhile then quiet. Some people lost all USB ports. There is a Hot fix at MS

Have you installed the MSFF2 drives and control panel?

Circus
February 9th, 2009, 03:02
This is the joystick I've got, not sure if you can see it, might have to click the link!

I tried that software that was reccomended but it didn't work and closed down but also the joystick in the background wasn't the one I own.

I've plugged it in and left it and still no auto-detect.

I've re-booted the PC and no auto-dectect.

When I plug it in no software loads.

It's not the USB port because my my iPod works in it fine, no problems at all. It's incredibly frustrating because I've used it at his house on XP and it was fine. He claims no software came with the disk?!?

Also: When I click Sidewinder (Auto Dectect) it comes back with a message saying:

"You Gameport or Gameport drivers are not properly configured. Please consult the device manager"

I never had this problem with my old joystick, which was a plug and play Logitech 3D Pro, I seem to remember.

Sorry Steven190, what is SP3?

Thanks for the replies, I'm pretty sure it will work on XP I just don't know how to get it going!!!

Cheers.

peterpan
February 9th, 2009, 03:45
I have an old Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 USB model (is different to yours).

In the user manual under Troubleshooting it says for more TS info "see User's Guide in the SideWinder software and visit our SideWinder Update site at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/swupdate/ maybe this link will work for you.

I'm sure you need the installation disc to make it work, I have one for mine.

If the link doesn't give the answer come back and I will then type out the TS section of my manual which may work for your model.

pp

Steven190
February 9th, 2009, 04:29
I am sorry, SP3 is XP Service Pack 3.

It has several related USB issues

Circus
February 9th, 2009, 05:23
peterpan, if you could that would be excellent but if they are different joysticks, could it fix my problem? Also mate, the link didn't work. But we are having problems with the internet at the moment! Tried browsing through the MS site but couldn't find that page. Got to the hardware page but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Steven, I haven't installed the MSFF2 drives and control panel because the joystick isn't Force Feedback, so wasn't sure if it would work? But I may have misunderstood!!

The joystick is Sidewinder Standard (USB). I've tried browsing Google for the software but can't find any. Does anybody know where I might be able too- I beginning to wonder if it's the software disk I'm missing. I'm certain now- after much trial and error- that it isn't plug and play!

The PC I use is a HP pavillion t350.uk. We bought it brand spanking new in 2002/2003 I think, got it just after Christmas. As far as I know we have never updated the PC with any kind of software to add extra drivers. It came with a MS Works 2003 disk, if I was to dig up the set-up disk would that be a hand? Although we got the PC through BT, so may already have been installed?!?!

I think the key is to see if the joystick came with any software!

Circus
February 9th, 2009, 09:56
After much browsing and cups of tea, I think I have only one solution for this joystick!!

It DOES come with an installation disk, so basically if anybody knows where I can downlod it from or if anybody actually has it, please, please could we find a way of obtaining a copy?!?

I've tried installing new drivers and such for XP to pick up the USB connection but I'm not very knowledgable in this area so didn't want to feck up my PC!

Saw a review on ebay for the joystick, it says there that it is compatible with Windows XP, so hopefully Google will yield the installation software somewhere!!

Circus
February 9th, 2009, 10:37
http://www.driverfiles.net/Game-Devices/Microsoft/Sidewinder-Standard/download/page,sh,22799,138,24,.html

This is the file I think I need but I'm unable to download it.

Is the link broken or is it just my PC?!?

Steven190
February 9th, 2009, 13:02
The oldest MS Sidewinder installation disk I have is

SideWinder Precision 2 Game Controller Software

I wonder if this is what you need?
It looks like they are the same except for the hat switch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SideWinder#Joystick

So the Precision 2 drivers may work

If it will work I can send it to you

Or you may want to try these drivers http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=97D044F9-6F55-4804-9CF0-F97C5D5F891B&displaylang=en
If they don't work, just un-install them from the add/remove programes in control panel

Circus
February 10th, 2009, 01:42
Steven,

The download in the link doesn't work mate, it quits during the installation, cannot find setup.exe.

Hopefully the software you said you could send would be excellent, I hope that will work!

I've sent you my e-mail address in a PM.

I've just installed CFS3, it's impossible to play it with the keyboard alone!

Thanks for you help, mate!

Circus
February 10th, 2009, 04:18
UPDATE:

I tried the Precision 2 drivers, it installed, but didn't detect my joystick.

The only around this is if anybody knows where the can get a copy of the software that came with the joystick.

That is a Microsoft Sidewinder Standard USB.

Failing that I'm knackered!!

Steven190
February 10th, 2009, 04:37
There is something wrong here.
The readme from the MS site for the drivers had the Standard listed as working for these drivers. Unplug USB and when you plug it back in, does the computer make the ready sound? If not

Try this. Control panel, system, Divice manager, find the USB that has the JS, properties, update driver, browse.

Path to the control panel C/:program files, microsoft hardware, game controller, find the icon (SWC) and click

Circus
February 10th, 2009, 05:06
No noise made.

I've opened the device manager but couldn't find where the JS was connected?!?!

I looked under Human Interface Controllers and Universal Serial Bus Controllers and there where no little exclamation marks (do you know the ones I mean?!?)

How can I find out where the USB is connected? Do you think the root of the problem is a problem with the USB plug on the joystick?

Steven190
February 10th, 2009, 09:11
Do you have another computer? If so plug it into that one and see if you get the sound and a wizzard to install. If that works

Do you have in C;/Program Files, Mocrosoft Hardware, game controllers or something like that? Open the control panel and see if the buttons work, they will light up when pressed.

or Try doing what Tailwind said; Go to control Panel\Game controllers. Click on Add. Scroll down to Microsoft SideWinder(Auto Detect)

In game go to control options and under joystick type click on arrow and select the MS joystick

If on the other computer it does not work, You could have a bad USB cable.