PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of two drives...

Roger
October 17th, 2016, 15:55
I'm writing this as a guide how not to clone an ssd to a larger one. I was running out of room on my Samsung 840 EVO 750 Gb ssd and I had been looking for ways to either spread files to a storage hd or by cloning to a bigger drive. However I found a new sealed Samsung 850 EVO 2Tb on e-bay for a very good price so I decided to go that way.

The instructions for data migration came with the new drive and required that I attach the new drive via a SATA to USB adapter and then use the Samsung Data Migration software to clone the drive. Many attempts and failures later I decided to try alternative cloning software...and many more failures later I gave up for the night! I had Googled every option I could think of without success.

Musing on why it was failing (instead of going to sleep) I decided I would try installing the new drive directly into the pc, formatting and authenticating the drive before once again trying to clone.

Turned out to be good musing...it worked!:encouragement:

Now instead of 80 Gb left I have 1.2Tb free:engel016:

modelr
October 17th, 2016, 16:08
Roger, glad you figured it out. What I use is a cloning tool for notebooks that I bought a few years ago, by Apricorn. It is basically a USB remote HDD holder, designed for 2.5" drives. The software is the important part, EZ-UP3, which is available online. I've done the same thing three times so far, with zero problems.. The old drive now becomes a spare or add on.

Jafo
October 17th, 2016, 16:22
Acronis works for me....even going from a 'simple' SSD to a M.2 ...;)