PDA

View Full Version : Many Thanks - a Beaufighter

NachtPiloten
October 16th, 2016, 11:36
Thanks to Dave Garwood :jump:who shared his Beaufighter with me to convert to CFS3. This project will take some time but hopefully when we release the Night War 1939 to July 42 she'll be there.

sixstrings5859
October 16th, 2016, 11:49
Nice model. Thank you for another night fighter . Always welcome. At some time in the future maybe a Mosquito night fighter would also be nice. I know this one ought be good as your past work. Thank you.

Led Zeppelin
October 16th, 2016, 12:20
oh oh!! :jump:

hairyspin
October 16th, 2016, 13:36
Very decent of Dave, I have his Beaufighter in FSX and it's a fine model! :encouragement:

mongoose
October 16th, 2016, 13:57
:applause: Will be great!

Frosty
October 16th, 2016, 14:12
That looks very promising!! Hopefully it has a more immersive cockpit than the one we have now (no offense to the creator of the current model intended ).

So that's a lot of high quality aircraft in the pipeline, isn't it? A P-61, a Beau, a Typhoon :encouragement::encouragement:. Where do you find the time?

NachtPiloten
October 16th, 2016, 14:12
Nice model. Thank you for another night fighter . Always welcome. At some time in the future maybe a Mosquito night fighter would also be nice. I know this one ought be good as your past work. Thank you.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=80&id=16593

see the two on that page

NachtPiloten
October 16th, 2016, 14:13
That looks very promising!! Hopefully it has a more immersive cockpit than the one we have now (no offense to the creator of the current model intended ).

So that's a lot of high quality aircraft in the pipeline, isn't it? A P-61, a Beau, a Typhoon :encouragement::encouragement:. Where do you find the time?

Sent the p61 to John last week to be packaged up

gecko
October 16th, 2016, 14:21
Wonderful Ted, can't wait!

sixstrings5859
October 17th, 2016, 00:50
Thank you Sir for the link plus i forgot the mosquito night fighters in my ETO install . Been over at the dark side playing my newly done Il-2 VP modpack. Over 500 aircraft to sort through....but CFS3 does things Il-2 can't and vice-versa . To have both is bliss to us WWII aircraft fans. A super looking aircraft. Thank you. Can't wait for the new P-61.

lgoncalv
October 17th, 2016, 01:24
For sure we can´t live without having both of them. Vp mod pack is outstanding. Il2 might reign as king of dogfights in the skies but nothing beats CFS3 regarding ground attacks.

Pat Pattle
October 17th, 2016, 11:55
Excellent! Dave's a very talented modeler, as are you Ted, this will be good. :0)

mongoose
December 1st, 2016, 14:30
Reading
"White, Graham. Night Fighter over Germany: Flying Beaufighters and Mosquitoes in World War 2" and some initial comments he made

"
Altogether 337 Mark IIs were built with the Rolls-Royce engines, and no fewer than 102 of them – thirty per cent – crashed from one cause or another. These included just two shot down by enemy action and – as if they didn’t have enough to contend with – one destroyed by a USA Spitfire. The Merlin engines gave the aircraft such a built-in swing to port that it tried to take off in ever decreasing circles. You had to open up the port engine slowly and carefully halfway before attempting to advance the starboard throttle, yet the heavy aircraft was underpowered, and if you didn’t accelerate reasonably quickly you risked not getting off at all. And if you messed up the landing, going round for another try became a desperate juggle with Jesus."

"

At this point, with the impeccable logic of the Mahogany Bomber pilots in Air Ministry, it was decided to take the Beaufighter IIs off the front-line squadrons, and put them onto training stations. Presumably they reasoned that any trainee pilot managing to stay alive on such aircraft for more than five minutes would find operations over Germany a doddle. Eighty-four Mark II aircraft were sent to Charterhall. Thirty-nine of them (that is forty-six per cent) crashed, eighteen of them during take-off, landing, or overshooting. Four force-landed, six plunged into the sea, five into the ground, and four caught fire in the air. Two of them simply disappeared off the face of the earth, and it was one of these that came close to finishing up as a coffin for Dagwood and me."

"

At Winfield, we went on to the newer Beaufighter Mark VI, a vastly different machine with more powerful engines. True, on one flight the port engine packed up, covering the windscreen with oil, but unlike the Merlins, on the remaining engine we sailed confidently back home with little trouble. It carried a newer type of radar, the Mark VIII, which only had a single circular screen instead of two rectangular ones. You were the dot in the centre of the circle and other aircraft appeared as a curved arc of light. The distance from the centre to the arc gave the range of the other plane. The completeness of the arc and the position of the gap in the circle indicated whether it was above or below, and to the left or to the right of you. It was rather like looking at a streetlight through the end of an empty beer bottle, which, I suppose, could be why we got on with it so well. In fact the Beaufighter Mark VI was very much a pilot’s aircraft, robust and powerful (at least low down, it wasn’t too good at height), with a panoramic view from the cockpit, giving the pilot the impression that he was flying a cinema organ. Not so good for the poor navigator, though, particularly when trying to navigate, operate the radar, and load the ammunition all at the same time, in the draughty tunnel of a fuselage"

White, Graham. Night Fighter over Germany: Flying Beaufighters and Mosquitoes in World War 2 (Kindle Locations 1619-1629). Pen and Sword. Kindle Edition.

sixstrings5859
December 1st, 2016, 16:36
Thanks for sharing that. Interesting facts that i didn't know about. Thanks again.

NachtPiloten
December 12th, 2016, 16:38
slow and steady....

gecko
December 12th, 2016, 20:42
Looking good Ted.

By the way, do you have the Pilot's Notes from the Air Ministry for the different variants? They are a great resource for determining how different controls and other features are supposed to work on the different models. I have them for Mk.I, II, VI, X, XI and 21.

Frosty
December 12th, 2016, 23:11
Very nice!!

A more convincing pit than the one we have now!

wiekniera
December 12th, 2016, 23:33
ship hunter will love this pit ! thanks sir ! huraaay ! :encouragement:

NachtPiloten
December 13th, 2016, 05:17
I am ONLY making night fighters no other variants.

popsaka
December 13th, 2016, 06:09
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=80&id=16593

see the two on that page

Yes, these are gorgeous :medals:and unsung and except for that hideous co-pilot, could/should be the basis for a whole new series of Mossies... IMHO :jump:

Also, getting back to Beau's, the Mark VIC's w/ defensive gunner, rails for rockets, non-dihedral tails, all ten guns and direction finder ant/loop.... :dizzy:

NachtPiloten
December 13th, 2016, 11:06
I am not sure I follow; what mossies are you speaking of? Are you speaking about these

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&keys=1&keyword=tow_mosquito_nfxiii.zip

gecko
December 13th, 2016, 20:26
Yep, I know it's only the night fighters, I just included the whole list since it can be informative to see how things developed across models. Let me know if you need them.

Cuttles
December 15th, 2016, 16:38
Crikey it's good!

sixstrings5859
December 19th, 2016, 03:05
Love them night fighters !! Never can have too many. Thanks to all responsible people for developing this aircraft. A great addition to CFS3.