PDA

View Full Version : dog flee's

Ickie
October 8th, 2016, 06:42
flee's are bad here in the tampa area, heck even the top dollar chew able stuff from the vet is questionable.
2 days ago I gave my dog the treatment and he is still chewin' them flees.

today I gave my dog a bath, using Denorex extra strengths (for humans) lol for the wounds from scratching, wow is all i can say it killed the flee's on the dog, I guess the coal tar base is the best I have ever used.

the dog doesn't smell to bad either, hummm, maybe I will use it today.:biggrin-new:

n4gix
October 8th, 2016, 08:26
How are fleas though? :ernaehrung004:

I haven't had that problem since I've never gotten another dog since my last miniature dachshund died from a stroke. I'm of an age that I don't want to risk having a pet starve to death should I pass on before him/her.

Dev One
October 8th, 2016, 12:05
We use Advantix for our dog (& have used it for many years past on all of our dogs) mainly for protection against Ticks, but its also good for all the other pests. Just use it once a month applying it to her neck & spine area. Not cheap though.
Keith

SPman
October 9th, 2016, 16:56
. Not cheap though.
Keith Ain't that the truth......

WarHorse47
October 9th, 2016, 17:50
We used Advantix for our cats as well. Cheaper in the long run than going to the Vet.

magoo
October 10th, 2016, 12:05
Camomile.

We had a couple of dogs on a farm decades back, in the dark ages before home computers and internet. ( or are we now into the dark ages...?)

Fleas were bad, we spent a ton of money on all kinds of flea control. Some of the chemicals were pretty nasty, the hounds were having a bad go of it.

A neighbor who was heavily into gardening showed us her flea-free dog and explained that she was spraying him down every couple of day with camomile tea. "Worked great",she said.

I brewed up a big, strong pot full, let it cool, and poured it into a spray bottle. Gave the dogs each a bath, and after rinse, re-saturated them with the camomile. (Don't rinse that off, let it dry.)

It worked perfectly for us, and had the added bonus of delivering minty smelling dogs. Cheap, effective, offers zero challenge to the dog's metabolism, smells nice.

If you try it and you like how it works, check out the local garden shops and see if they have camomile seedlings. Careful though, it's invasive and spreads far and wide, fast......so place it in a big pot or an isolated garden box to keep it under control. It grows so fast that flea treatment becomes a free resource.

My dogs started laying right in the camomile when they were just hanging out or having a siesta. The stuff is wiry and super dense. When the dogs got up, it'd just spring back.

Check your cupboard and see if you've got some camomile tea. Try it, see how it works for you.

PhantomTweak
October 10th, 2016, 14:33
That camomile tip sounds great!
We have 4 kitties (so far :untroubled: ) we don't let go outside, due to numerous coyotes, wolves, eagles, hawks, owls, and so on in the area. But you know how kitties can be. If they ever get out, we will try the camomile tea trick. They won't LIKE it but if the fleas go away...
I wonder if it just chases them off the animal, or if it actually kills them. I hope the latter! I sure don't want them colonizing me or my lovely wife :mixed-smiley-027:
We tried the Advantix on a kitty we used to have, age and cancer got him in the end. But when we put the Advantix for Cats on him he went bald in a 2" circle around the application site. Temporarily, thank goodness. It also made him sicker than a...well, than a dog, to use a phrase. We never used that stuff again, I can tell you that!
Anywho, thanks for the tip!
Pat☺

magoo
October 10th, 2016, 15:13
We had two cats on the place, indoor/outdoor hoodlums with a cat door. They'd get sprayed down with Camomile too. They didn't like that, but would forget about almost immediately. The good thing is that when they'd lick themselves, the tea was harmless, maybe even healthy. Gotta imagine some of the flea treatment is bad enough absorbed through the skin, much less ingesting in a chemical laced hairball.

I don't think the camomile is toxic to the fleas..(or anybody..) ...but it certainly repelled them. We also sprayed it on all the doormats, and if I was going to work down in the back quarter, walking through tall grass, I spray it on my socks, trousers, etc.

Worked quite well for us.

SPman
October 10th, 2016, 16:45
Camomile.

Careful though, it's invasive and spreads far and wide, fast......

.Not around our way it's not - the missus planted some camomile in amongst the pavers outside her office...to have a camomile lawn outside the steps. 6 yrs later it's still there, but about half the area.....I think I'll have to give it some serious attention to get it to spread some more.....:encouragement: