PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Masters of the air( The Mighty Eigth)

trucker17
September 16th, 2016, 21:01
MASTERS OF THE AIR , the WWII companion piece to BAND OF BROTHERS and THE PACIFIC, is now officially titled THE MIGHTY EIGHTH.
Info on where the movie stands.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/08/ ... on-budget/ (https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/08/29/hbos-the-mighty-eighth-an-update-its-getting-close-500-million-budget/)

YoYo
September 16th, 2016, 22:23
MASTERS OF THE AIR , the WWII companion piece to BAND OF BROTHERS and THE PACIFIC, is now officially titled THE MIGHTY EIGHTH.
Info on where the movie stands.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/08/ ... on-budget/ (https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/08/29/hbos-the-mighty-eighth-an-update-its-getting-close-500-million-budget/)

Didnt know about this series, nice info, thanks !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBy_FIlcOJs

JensOle
September 16th, 2016, 23:23
From what I have read so does that trailer have no connection to the actual HBO´s The mighty eight series, but is another project.

scotth6
September 17th, 2016, 00:34
Yeah thanks for the info. I am a bit confused like Jensole now though. This article links that video with the Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks series:

http://710keel.com/new-spielberg-hanks-wwii-series-coming-to-hbo-video/

The comments on the Youtube page for the same video seem to indicate it is for a movie, and there is no mention of Spielberg or Hanks.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. That clip is pretty good though. How would you feel actually being in that mess and seeing your squadron disintegrating in front of your eyes?!

Ferry_vO
September 17th, 2016, 01:01
Looking forward to that series, the book was great. Very well researched and written.

SSI01
September 17th, 2016, 05:14
Looking forward to this if it's done right, my son clued me in to it some time ago. Given the quality of "Band of Brothers," I was hoping for things to be a little better in this upcoming series. My point - if you are designing a video game, I can understand having the US national insignia on both upper wings of a B-17 - but this is being billed as the AAF equivalent of "BoB." Accuracy and authenticity are supposed to be the norm. I can hardly imagine someone messing up the airborne's uniforms by, for example, putting the 101's patch on both shoulders. Yet that's what they've essentially done here with the B-17s. I'm already looking somewhat askance at this thing. Another telling hint will be if they put out any B-24 stories. This IS a teaser, after all, and there is room for editing and touchup. Will this be about one specific unit within the 8th AF, or will it be about the whole organization - curious.

YoYo
September 17th, 2016, 05:18
The poster:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTY3MDU2OTAzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTE3MjM5NDE@._ V1_SY1000_CR0,0,683,1000_AL_.jpg

StormILM
September 17th, 2016, 06:04
My late uncle was a Ball Turret Gunner on a B-17G for 35 missions with the 381st/535th out of Ridgewell (1943-44). I heard a lot of stories and was present at their first reunion since the war. Their crew was lucky, one crewman wounded (minor injury) during their 35 missions but their aircraft did sustain heavy damage from a direct hit from an 88mm Flak wound on one mission. The round hit the #2 engine and took it out. Luckily they were able to make it back to base okay and were able to get the left main gear down and locked. When that 88mm round hit, my uncle was just getting out of the Ball Turret and he heard/felt the explosion and thought he felt fragments hit the Ball Turret (he swore some frags hit his legs but didn't find wounds later on). He was scared to look down because he thought his legs were wounded but all he saw was pitch black due to oil from the #2 engine blowing under the aircraft belly and obscuring the view from the BT. He was a heck of a good man and he loved a great joke (as well as his cigars and bourbon) and he had an infectious laugh and smile that brought smiles to everyone around him. I still miss him every day and was part of his Full Military Honors Burial Detail (as a civilian). Besides knowing him all my life, carrying his Flag Covered Casket that day was the greatest honor I have ever had........

stovall
September 17th, 2016, 06:19
Besides knowing him all my life, carrying his Flag Covered Casket that day was the greatest honor I have ever had........

Thanks for sharing Storm. Very special indeed Storm. Just one of those incredible people making sure freedom is everlasting in the world.

JensOle
September 17th, 2016, 10:51
Looking forward to this if it's done right, my son clued me in to it some time ago. Given the quality of "Band of Brothers," I was hoping for things to be a little better in this upcoming series. My point - if you are designing a video game, I can understand having the US national insignia on both upper wings of a B-17 - but this is being billed as the AAF equivalent of "BoB." Accuracy and authenticity are supposed to be the norm. I can hardly imagine someone messing up the airborne's uniforms by, for example, putting the 101's patch on both shoulders. Yet that's what they've essentially done here with the B-17s. I'm already looking somewhat askance at this thing. Another telling hint will be if they put out any B-24 stories. This IS a teaser, after all, and there is room for editing and touchup. Will this be about one specific unit within the 8th AF, or will it be about the whole organization - curious.

Have they released a trailer? As the above trailer has nothing to do with the actual HBO series. Just some internet pages which uses it in articles about the HBO the mighty eight.

JensOle
September 17th, 2016, 10:53
Yeah thanks for the info. I am a bit confused like Jensole now though. This article links that video with the Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks series:

http://710keel.com/new-spielberg-hanks-wwii-series-coming-to-hbo-video/

The comments on the Youtube page for the same video seem to indicate it is for a movie, and there is no mention of Spielberg or Hanks.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. That clip is pretty good though. How would you feel actually being in that mess and seeing your squadron disintegrating in front of your eyes?!

I believe the internet sites uses this trailer, which has nothing to do with the HBO series, to make it looks like they have a world first with the HBO mighty eight trailer. No trailer has ever been released to date from HBO to my knowledge.

Ian Warren
September 17th, 2016, 12:33
A series , definitely another for the shelf , looking forward to this :encouragement:

Bomber_12th
September 17th, 2016, 16:44
I remember when that trailer originally came online, some years ago now, and at the time it was said that it had nothing to do with the HBO series, but rather the creators mentioned that it was just a low-budget production to market/promote a potential movie, not related to the Hanks/Spielberg HBO series (but perhaps that was just a cover?).

(Spielberg in particular has had a life-long interest in WWII aircraft/air war, namely as his dad served aboard B-25's in the Pacific - the reason for which Spielberg's good friend Paul Allen's (Flying Heritage Collection's) B-25 is painted in the particular markings it is.)

I recall reading that some filming had been underway in Georgia, and some potential film sites were scouted out in England a year or two ago, but I have yet to see any of the "paparazzi" type photos you might expect to find online from the filming being underway. In one of the appearances that Tom Hanks made on The Tonight Show within the past year, I recall Jimmy Fallon (who had a small role in "Band of Brothers") mentioning about Hanks being involved in another WWII HBO series, and feeding on the point about Hanks being an absolute stickler for historical accuracy, but I don't recall that any real details were given beyond that. It seems I've seen a few little things in the warbird forums over the past year too, about some folks involved with the project (namely sets/production details) being sworn to secrecy.

I just read an article this past week about Hanks starring in another WWII movie, for which he wrote, this time as a Navy Officer in command of a Destroyer.

trucker17
September 18th, 2016, 18:35
It is a series i am very much looking forward to seeing