PDA

View Full Version : OFF TOPIC: New civilian flight sim with VR!

DennyA
August 12th, 2016, 13:01
I realize this is the FSX topic, but this is where the civilian sim fans hang out, so wanted to give you a heads-up! AeroflyFS2 just hit Steam Early access -- I discovered it on an Oculus Rift news site of all places! Since I have a Rift, it was an instant purchase, and I'm downloading it right now.

Some caveats:

It's Steam Early Access, which is basically a way to buy a game when it's in alpha/beta and help guide it to the finish line
Right now it just has the SW US and Switzerland available to fly in
Again, it's not done, so don't expect an experience matching the mature FSX environment.

That said, native VR support! And a modern graphics engine! And a focus on realism!

Sim info:
https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/index.html

The manual, good for folks interested in what's implemented at the moment:
http://www.ikarus.net/en/manual-aeroflyfs2/

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41855&stc=1

Anxious to try it out! How often do we get new sims nowadays? I hope folks here will give it the benefit of the doubt instead of getting into sim wars. :) New sims are so rare now I hope we can support the efforts of folks trying to create products to appeal to us!

flaviossa
August 12th, 2016, 14:00
30Gb, the default install :sleep:

heywooood
August 12th, 2016, 14:03
I bought their FS1 when it came out and kept it until I needed HD space...one of the last programs I sacrificed before the inevitable upgrade next year.
It looks great especially the terrain and aircraft. Good flight models too.
This looks instantly better than the DTG Flight School debacle...

DennyA
August 12th, 2016, 17:54
Wow. My first impressions are super-positive! Here's a shot from inside the P-38 Yippee! flying around Sedona, AZ at 3,440x1,440 resolution, silky smooth!

Flight models feel pretty good, graphics are spectacular, it even automatically configured everything on my Logitech G940 Throttle/Stick/Pedals combo except for the view keys.

Haven't tried VR yet as I'm downloading it to that PC now.

The photo textures look really good.

Main thing I'm missing is air traffic. Static planes at the airports, but haven't seen anything flying yet.

The panels look great on the planes I've tried so far. (C172, F/A-18, 737, A320, P-38.)

And flaviossa, the install with the hi-res textures for the SW USA and Switzerland is 101GB!!! But hey, you can literally buy a 1TB 7,200 RPM hard drive from Amazon.com now for $25.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41866&stc=1

Killbilly
August 12th, 2016, 18:17
Does it support TrakIR?

scotth6
August 12th, 2016, 20:26
Looks pretty good to me. Large HD imprint is to be expected as it is all photoreal. I am really tempted to get it but I don't have enough time to use all the sims I currently have. Between DCS World, FSX and P3D my time is nearly used up. I don't even have time to use a few of my other faves lately; Rise of Flight, IL2 Franchise, CFS3, Falcon.....

Native Rift support makes it really, really tempting though.

Cheers,

davido53
August 13th, 2016, 06:59
My first impressions: (I've flown flight sims since around 94 or so starting with Gunship, EF2000, Warbirds, IL2, DOF, MFS and P3D plus I have a RL PPL, expired)

best looking flight sim I've ever seen

ultra fast loading...change a plane takes about 4 seconds

loading flight takes about 4 seconds

cockpits ultra clean

great sound, better than FSX

with high settings the graphics are literally jaw-dropping

went to Moffat Field to start a flight and they had the old blimp hangar there, nice detail!

you can see every rivet on these planes with high settings

shadows better than P3D

downside:

can't get a plane to stall

had one memory dump CTD, but then this is a beta

DennyA
August 13th, 2016, 10:14
I tried it on the Rift last night briefly before going to bed. (Took a long time to transfer the 100GB to our second PC!)

HOLY WOW. Amazing. The cockpits... Man, dirty them up a bit more and you'd think you were there. Instruments are somehow dramatically more readable than those in DCS and P3D/FlyInside. Terrain looks fantastic once you get a bit of altitude, though the "Photoreal" aspect is kind of given away down low.

Have a few Saturday chores to do and then I think I'm going to go check out the Grand Canyon in VR! :)

jschall
August 13th, 2016, 12:43
Yes, @Killbilly, TrackIR works fine with Aerofly FS2.

DennyA
August 13th, 2016, 22:50
Spent four or five hours flying today. So much fun already, and such great potential if they keep developing for it.

The flight models vary in depth and quality -- I not only stalled the Pitts, I got into a pretty impressive spin too.

Man, it's so beautiful in VR. Flew around Edwards AFB, Sedona, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Switzerland and everything looked amazing.

hairyspin
August 13th, 2016, 23:35
Lionheart is pretty excited about this one and is looking at the SDK for getting his fleet exported when aircraft modelling gets added to the toolset.

scotth6
August 14th, 2016, 04:32
I almost bought this today, it looks amazing. I even emptied out some HD space for it. Just holding off 'til tomorrow, and then maybe the next day.:indecisiveness:

Navy Chief
August 14th, 2016, 05:21
I have no clue how much a VR setup would cost me (in addition to having to replace my current video card). Would someone please give an idea how much equipment I would need, and approx. cost? Thanks. NC

wombat666
August 14th, 2016, 06:16
My interest has been piqued by this one, I might just find a use for the spare 500GB SSD that has been lurking in my extras box...........:encouragement:

And a PS for the Chief, the best of the VR units as of June this year appears to be the 'HTC Vive', at US$899.00 RRP it should be!:dizzy:

Stickshaker
August 14th, 2016, 06:31
NC, a Rift VR will set you back some 700 dollars I think – I paid 650 Euros or so for mine. On the Rift website you can download a tool to test whether your computer meets the requirements for the Rift, and what needs to be changed. I have DCS working and it is fantastic - I made a flight in a real P-51D three weeks ago and sitting in the DCS one with a Rift brought back the experience vividly. But I am still getting used to it and each flight is a challenge. But I will never go back to a monitor voluntarily.<o:p></o:p>

scotth6
August 14th, 2016, 06:39
I have no clue how much a VR setup would cost me (in addition to having to replace my current video card). Would someone please give an idea how much equipment I would need, and approx. cost? Thanks. NC

Hi Chief,

I believe the cost of the Oculus Rift is still the same, $600 USD + postage. If a new video card is required then the minimum is :

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater.

I just picked up a GTX 980 on sale for around $650 AUD (down from around $1050 in store) about two months ago. I see on newegg.com that most of the GTX980s seem to be open box models or refurbished and are between $400 to $600 USD. The GTX980 has 4GB of RAM, the GTX980ti has 6GB of RAM and I think the new GTX 1080 (around $699 USD) has 8GB of RAM. If you can afford it I would recommend the newer model as VR will use all the processing power of the CPU and GPU that you can throw at it. Probably the more RAM the better. That being said, if you shop around you may find a GTX 980ti on sale due to it being an older model now, and 6GB of VRAM will be pretty handy to have.

Depending on what video card you have though you may not even need to upgrade, at least for a while. I had an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 7970 which wasn't technically up to the minimum specs, but the Rift worked pretty well on it. Of course then it stopped working after about a month. It was quite a few years old also. You just need to ensure you have 3 USB 3.0 ports and one HDMI port to plug everything in.

https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/rift/

It is really amazing. I have been flying the A-10C and F-5E with the Rift in DCS world lately, and it is just incredible immersion. I also just finished a flight in the AS Catalina between Bar Harbour and Knox County Regional Airport in P3D and again it's just incredible. Everything looks full scale in the Rift. I felt like I could poke my arm out the window and have my hand hit by the huge prop. Made me a bit nervous actually. The cockpit is absolutely huge too. It looked like I wouldn't even be able to reach the rudder pedals.

Cheers,

Navy Chief
August 14th, 2016, 12:40
Thanks Scott, for the info.

My current card, a Radeon HD5870, cannot handle VR. The card is working fine for now, and I don't have the cash to buy a updated card and the Oculus Rift setup. Maybe someday, but doubtful. I will be content with what I have for now, and maybe a few years from now the prices will go down some. As with any new technology, the cost is high. NC

Desert Rat
August 14th, 2016, 14:01
Looks like I'll have to wait too, Track-IR will have to suffice for now. Just busted my budget on a new rig which claims that the onboard graphics are VR ready, I somehow doubt that, lol. (I7 6700K oc'd to 4.5GHz)

Jamie

scotth6
August 15th, 2016, 00:05
Yeah I'm sure the price will come down and not too far from now. From my perspective, VR seems to have really burst on to the scene and has been adopted by many users and companies producing software. As you say NC the price is always high when a new tech is released, and I'm sure it will be much more competitive in a year or two.

mike_cyul
August 15th, 2016, 05:37
How's weather portrayal? That, to me, is one of the most important things in depicting real flight (once there are good flight dynamics!). :)

jschall
August 15th, 2016, 14:21
@mike_cyul: Weather is beautifully portrayed, at least visually - clouds, fog, wind. But it's static, and there's no precipitation. Room for improvement, for sure.

davido53
August 15th, 2016, 16:40
I love being able to change the visibility on the fly...in FSX you have to exit, then reload...in AF2 it is instantaneous, along with the time...being able to move the sun with one click is just awesome...and the particle system is so good it makes it look just like you are there...

heywooood
August 16th, 2016, 07:20
Now I am wondering if Aerofly will add helicopters to FS2..

adding helo's and AI traffic would make it better - Does the beta have ATC?

wombat666
August 16th, 2016, 08:40
Now I am wondering if Aerofly will add helicopters to FS2..

adding helo's and AI traffic would make it better - Does the beta have ATC?

Give them time and we should see the usual features.
As it is an 'Early Access' Beta the definitive Sim will be a fair time away, especially if it is to be as good as we would hope.
Just an example, I signed on for an Early Access program which (despite weekly upgrades) was some 2 years in the making.
It was worth the wait.
Patience is required.
:encouragement:

Bomber_12th
August 16th, 2016, 10:19
If the Corsair and P-38 look familiar, it's because they come from the same modeler who originally did the Corsair released through A2A/Aircraft Factory and the P-38 through FSD/Milviz. Obviously there has been a great number of changes, but the DNA is still there.

ejoiner
August 16th, 2016, 11:31
I almost bought this today, it looks amazing. I even emptied out some HD space for it. Just holding off 'til tomorrow, and then maybe the next day.:indecisiveness:

Me too. I had it in the steam shopping cart then decided to wait. Microsoft is working on competitive technology that may kill off steam. If it does, this Sim will need a new platform.

jschall
August 16th, 2016, 11:32
Would there be sufficient interest here to start an Aerofly FS2 sub-forum on Sim Outhouse?

jschall
August 16th, 2016, 13:22
Just as an example of how realistic the scenery is in the detailed area:

I decided to fly out of KSMO Santa Monica and look for the Hollywood sign in the hills North of Beverly Hills. I set the visibility to full and the time to mid-afternoon, and fired up the 172. With a little help from Google Earth, I had no trouble finding the parking lot and the sign.

Try that with FSX.

Scratch
August 16th, 2016, 14:43
I got my Occulus Rift a few months ago, can't wait to check this sim out!

davido53
August 16th, 2016, 21:17
For a quick hit, it's nice to start up a sim that takes about 5 seconds to load. With FSX I can go and make a pot of coffee and still get back before it's up.

griphos
August 17th, 2016, 05:51
Me too. I had it in the steam shopping cart then decided to wait. Microsoft is working on competitive technology that may kill off steam. If it does, this Sim will need a new platform.

that is a rumor fueled only by sheer speculation from a guy in game development who doesn't like Microsoft. As Mark Twain said, the rumors of Steam's death are greatly exaggerated.

The internet....greatest boon to conspiracy theories ever.

ejoiner
August 17th, 2016, 05:57
that is a rumor fueled only by sheer speculation from a guy in game development who doesn't like Microsoft. As Mark Twain said, the rumors of Steam's death are greatly exaggerated.

The internet....greatest boon to conspiracy theories ever.

at work, I have one customer. Worldwide. Its Microsoft. MSFT wants everything to run through its cloud. The steam guy is right.

Scratch
August 17th, 2016, 11:16
Holy crap! I finally downloaded the free hi res scenery for SW USA and gave it a try in VR. Hands down the best flight sim experience I've ever had. Nothing even comes close. Flying a F-18 through the Grand Canyon at 600+ knots is beyond awesome and not for the faint of heart. Although there are many things left to be done to this sim to make it complete there is nothing out there that can compete as far as the pure joy of flying
and the sensation of speed. It is even better than DCS!

heywooood
August 17th, 2016, 11:27
Microsoft acquired 'Beam' live stream gaming service for one purpose.
and it won't be good for Steam

davido53
August 17th, 2016, 12:28
Holy crap! I finally downloaded the free hi res scenery for SW USA and gave it a try in VR. Hands down the best flight sim experience I've ever had. Nothing even comes close. Flying a F-18 through the Grand Canyon at 600+ knots is beyond awesome and not for the faint of heart. Although there are many things left to be done to this sim to make it complete there is nothing out there that can compete as far as the pure joy of flying
and the sensation of speed. It is even better than DCS!

Sensation of flight? I agree.

loving it so far

griphos
August 17th, 2016, 12:45
at work, I have one customer. Worldwide. Its Microsoft. MSFT wants everything to run through its cloud. The steam guy is right.

It's not a Steam guy. It's Tim Sweeney, of Epic Games. He's the source for all these rumors. And he's speculating.

Here's a typical site repeating his speculations: http://betanews.com/2016/07/27/windows-10-could-kill-steam-win32/

STEAM is a powerful platform that has built a strong business model. The UWP is hardly competitive at all in the mobile marketplace, far behind Android and Google. You don't think the folks at Valve can figure out how to work around anything Microsoft can do?! And MS wanting everything to run through its cloud isn't stopping most of its competitors from doing better than it so far, now is it?

But, never mind me...go ahead and avoid buying games you want on the dominant game platform for the near future on the off chance that some guy at some game developer studio might be right about what might happen years down the road.

mike_cyul
August 17th, 2016, 17:39
How's weather portrayal? That, to me, is one of the most important things in depicting real flight (once there are good flight dynamics!). :)

I asked Aerofly Support about the future addition of dynamic weather and the possibility of perhaps third-party weather generators, and this was the answer: "We have no plans for this at the moment."

I really hope they eventually do.

eddie
August 17th, 2016, 19:07
I don't like the idea of having to buy regions to fly in. Sweden $10, not a lot really, but add in all the other regions of the world, and its going to get spendy quick!

heywooood
August 17th, 2016, 20:42
I asked Aerofly Support about the future addition of dynamic weather and the possibility of perhaps third-party weather generators, and this was the answer: "We have no plans for this at the moment."

I really hope they eventually do.

once they released FS1 that was it.. no addons and no updates beyond a bug fix or two..

PHo17
August 17th, 2016, 23:55
Is that FS a 64 bit program?

wombat666
August 18th, 2016, 01:35
I don't like the idea of having to buy regions to fly in. Sweden $10, not a lot really, but add in all the other regions of the world, and its going to get spendy quick!

As we do with ORBX.
Nothing new there, and I hope the aftermarket developers are allowed access to this sim.
:encouragement:

griphos
August 18th, 2016, 05:00
I bought the original Aerofly FS. Pretty graphics, but it always felt like I was flying a large RC model plane. And the lack of systems and a larger flight environment with which to interact made for a quick loss of interest. Sat on my hard drive unused for a long time.

I fear the same for Dovetail. I like the flight model in Flight School, but the rest of the package leaves much to be desired.

It will be hard for a new developer to put together the rich world we now have through FSX/P3D and the vast array of addons. That tired old engine has given us all she's got, but how much has been wrung out of her is pretty remarkable. Can't think of any other sim that comes close to realizing such a complete world and software ecosystem.

heywooood
August 18th, 2016, 07:35
I second that..as maligned and disparaged as FSX often is..it is in reality quite remarkable in scope and adaptability.
If we consider all that ACES incorporated into one Flight Sim - there is a ton of depth for the original price.

mike_cyul
August 18th, 2016, 07:41
I second that..as maligned and disparaged as FSX often is..it is in reality quite remarkable in scope and adaptability.
If we consider all that ACES incorporated into one Flight Sim - there is a ton of depth for the original price.

I'll third that. :)

DennyA
August 18th, 2016, 12:42
Well, this topic has gone off on a couple of interesting tangents. :)

1) Not buying any game because it's on Steam and Microsoft has a competing store is just silly. I bought this game from Steam, I started the topic, and I work at Microsoft. :) (But I don't speak for them in any way.) Anyone in the industry will agree that Steam is around for the long run. It's an enormous service. MS has a Windows 10 Store and is trying to do some cool stuff, but Steam still works great and still has a bazillion happy users.

2) No, this game is not as full-featured as FSX. Limited weather, no ATC or air traffic, etc. But it's still in development, what it does do is amazing, and it deserves our support as sim fans. The more of us who buy into it and provide feedback, the better it will be able to get over time. And despite what the Internet thinks about everything, it's not a contest. If AFS2 gets popular, it won't harm FSX at all, but it may provide a platform to grow and re-legitimize what is an important hobby for us. In the meantime, I have FSX and a bazillion add-ons, P3D, and AFS2 all installed on the same system and they're getting along great, thanks.

3) Would love to see an AFS2 subforum.

pilto von pilto
August 18th, 2016, 16:44
Potential is superb. The interview with the developers was very interesting especially the parts about the priority of getting 3rd party devs on board and the game engine being their own.

My take : it should do well. It has the eye candy to bring in the casual, it has the relatively simplistic learning curve to keep them and it has the potential to convert them to become more voracious users of simulators. The potential to increase its offering to the more hardcore users is there ( perhaps a DLC offering :P ). If nothing else it may push the other offerings ( simulators ) to offer more or to "up" certain areas of their games from a medium priority to a higher priority.

More simulators means more simmers, which means more market, which means more interest ( dev and consumer ), which means more content which can only be a good thing ?

mig21bis
August 18th, 2016, 16:58
Are you gentlemen comparing this new flight sim to P3Dv3.35 in your analysis? I see FSX and P3D in the thread.

davido53
August 18th, 2016, 19:02
You have to compare it to something, just for a frame of reference.

No one is saying it's better.

We're just saying that they have managed to do something pretty cool, which is a flight sim that loads in seconds, not minutes, looks unbelievable, from cockpits to atmosphere, even better than P3D, and gives an incredible sense of flight.

It does not have the features that FSX or P3D have, not even close, but then none of us are giving up on our other flight sims. If only FSX ran like AF2 and looked like AF2, we would be in flight sim heaven.

mig21bis
August 18th, 2016, 20:20
Would be interesting to see a comparison of two current, state-of-the-art sims, like P3Dv3 and this new one. FSX is 10 years old, I think it's going to look weak compared to anything current. If this new sim is giving P3Dv3 a run for its money, it is definitely a contender.

DennyA
August 18th, 2016, 20:43
Well, it's kind of apples and oranges, because P3D has essentially been in development since 1982 (given that it's built on top of the FSX code, which was built off the previous incarnations of MSFS), while this is a new title which hasn't even been released, and is building off a sim that's only a couple of years old. So P3D absolutely blows it away when it comes to feature set, available expansions, and so on.

But in the areas where they do match, AeroflyFS 2 has dramatically faster loading, supports VR without an add-on, has much sharper graphics in VR mode (I can read the instruments without leaning in, like I have to do in P3D/FlyInside and DCS) and at least on my system it has much smoother frame rates despite the extra graphic detail.

I think any serious sim fan would want both. FSX or P3D when you want the whole world, sophisticated add-ons for weather etc, thousands of add-on planes and scenery, etc. AeroflyFS2 for beautiful scenic flying in the supported areas, amazing VR support, aerobatic flying (the Pitts and Extra are crazy fun to fly, particularly with the sense of speed you get), and the other stuff that's there now.

And buying it now (1) helps support the company's efforts to build up the sim's capabilities, and (2) gives you a chance to try it early and help influence its development to hopefully include the stuff you'd like to see down the road.

Back in the 1990s I was the flight sim columnist for Computer Gaming World magazine. And there was enough new stuff that I could write about new sims every month! This year is the first in forever that I've actually seen more than one new sim released (this and the Combat Air Patrol 2 (http://combatairpatrol2.com/) Harrier sim, also in early access, and which just released its first VR test version today).

Rather than insisting on comparing new sims or flexing our rivet counter muscles, we should be overjoyed to see some activity in the market, and doing our best to help make these cool early access sims successful so they can get even better!

DennyA
August 18th, 2016, 20:46
pilto von pilto, where did you see the interview with the devs?

I bought the original Aerofly FS. Pretty graphics, but it always felt like I was flying a large RC model plane. And the lack of systems and a larger flight environment with which to interact made for a quick loss of interest. Sat on my hard drive unused for a long time.
Same here. I probably flew that one for maybe three or four hours total. Not a great investment.

This one, though, wow. Been booting it up and flying VFR every chance I get! There's so much more already, and it's still early.

Mach3DS
August 18th, 2016, 21:23
So here's a couple observations...now mind you Ive only watched the promotional video and not flown the thing...so don't pounce on me too quickly!

The only comparison is really with P3D335 and the new lighting engine. FSX doesn't have it.

1. "Default" scenery looks photorealistic so that must be why it's not a world model? Much better than stock textures. P3D textures for scenery overall look just as good when using something like payware scenery or BLUESKYSCENRY. Look I ng closely it appears that lighting is what is pushing the illusion of realism. The shadows are deep and contrast is high. P3Dv3 lighting engine is capable of doing this exact thing and looking ultra realtistic.

2. Aircraft. Is dependent on mesh detail and quality of textures. So I've seen better in P3D and FSX. But it's really a matter of opinion.

3. Flight performance (FDE)...I have not idea! I haven't flown it! LOL. But P3D is capable of almost full realism as fare as the external flight engine will take it and CPU power will allow.

4. Terrain mesh. Looks like they are using extremely high res terrain mesh with photorealism textures. Again if you can find that mesh in P3D you can do the same thing.

5. Weather. None at this time... P3D take tour pick at weather textures and scenarios from default to payware.

6. Systems depth ....again no clue! P3D is fully capable of full systems modeling.

7. Weapons (if you're into that) comes with a detailed Hornet! Again I doubt it... P3D has Tacpack by VRS. Or default is capable of moving many weapons systems.

So I'd be hard pressed to leave P3D. DTG 64 bit is likely to be the only real contender in my view however, if LM releases a 64. Bit version I'll likely stick with it because I like how fast and how much they listen to user input for enhancements. I asked for 3 seperate cube maps (high altitude, medium altand low alt) and we got dynamic reflections! I don't know that it was my request or if they had the vision but either way they are in tune with the mind of the simmers!

DennyA
August 18th, 2016, 22:10
These are flight sims, not girlfriends. You don't have to leave the old one when a new one comes around.

Daube
August 19th, 2016, 01:27
That sim looks pretty cool indeed. Not my cup of tea though, because of the lack of features mainly. But yes, I wish P3D looked that good :)
Here is an interesting review/first look from Froogle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Sk1nbJKjY

ejoiner
August 19th, 2016, 05:33
Thanks for the Froogle video. Very helpful. I might go ahead and buy this thing. I am curious now.

heywooood
August 19th, 2016, 12:26
Thanks for the Froogle video. Very helpful. I might go ahead and buy this thing. I am curious now.
From the short video appraisal it looks like it would make a nice addition to my growing list of regular flight sims. DTG is out - Aerofly is in.
Clearly FS2 isn't going to replace FSX P3D anytime soon but it sure looks like it does what it does well enough
and fast enough and prettily enough to own a spot on my HD

mig21bis
August 19th, 2016, 12:40
That Froogle video brings out how beautiful the visuals are, and looks super smooth. And if it handles VR (Rift) well, that's another big win. Does it have robust mulitplayer capability?

pilto von pilto
August 19th, 2016, 13:39
pilto von pilto, where did you see the interview with the devs?

Same here. I probably flew that one for maybe three or four hours total. Not a great investment.

This one, though, wow. Been booting it up and flying VFR every chance I get! There's so much more already, and it's still early.

Here it be

https://www.helisimmer.com/interview/interview-aerofly-fs2-developer-tosten-hans/

Navy Chief
August 19th, 2016, 13:47
Do you have to use VR with this sim? NC

Daube
August 19th, 2016, 15:20
No you don't have to. You can, that's all.
If you watch the video I posted, you'll notice Froogle is simply using a TrackIR, not a VR headset :)
The video is from end of May this year, though. I think the VR was not supported at that time...

davido53
August 19th, 2016, 17:08
You can clear that top display from the screen and get rid of the map and the lens flare, too.

Navy Chief
August 19th, 2016, 19:22
I visited their Facebook page and their website, checking to see if there was any mention of carrier ops capability in the works, but couldn't find any info. Has anyone read mention of this? Thanks, NC

DennyA
August 19th, 2016, 20:21
mig21bis, no multiplayer yet. That's down the road.

Navy Chief, again, they're too early in development -- a lot of basics still to be done (ATC, air traffic, finishing the SDK) before they get to stuff like carrier ops.

pilto, thanks for the interview link!

There's a TON of stuff that still needs to be added to this sim before you guys would want to consider replacing FSX/P3D with it. But it's fun for what it does so far.

Think of this like Tesla's first two-seat sports car. It does a small list of things a LOT better than your four-door sedan, but it doesn't have the range or feature set to completely replace the family car. But that doesn't mean it's not fun to take out for a drive!

YoYo
August 19th, 2016, 21:54
See this:

Oculus + Leap motions (virtual hands).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4-mLuV6lA

jymp
August 20th, 2016, 06:22
I was skeptical when I first came across this one, however the more I use it the more impressed I am, especially since its in the early stages of development, if they keep updating it should be outstanding in a year or two, the graphics already are better than FSX, P3D & X-Plane, plus it runs very smooth on my old system, we should support these AeroFly FS 2 guys, they are trying hard it seems to get it right.

DaveWG
August 21st, 2016, 06:21
Very impressive so far. Let's hope they manage to keep the smoothness after they add AI, ATC, weather etc.

http://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/Aerofly/Aerofly10.jpg

DaveWG
August 21st, 2016, 10:17
http://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/Aerofly/AR51.jpg

Found near Area 51 :mask:

noddy
September 1st, 2016, 01:18
It does show promise, will see how it progresses.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/4042/Yfl18E.jpg

codeseven
September 2nd, 2016, 10:06
Geez, if a sim that's only in 'early Beta' form already exceeds certain aspects of 'FULLY' developed P3D or FSX, can you imagine what a monster it's going to be when it too is fully developed, fully featured, supporting 3rd Party Addons, AND Virtual Reality!?