PDA

View Full Version : A warning for W10 user

big-mike
August 4th, 2016, 07:09
Be careful with the Anniversary Update.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3104389/microsoft-windows/the-case-against-windows-10-anniversary-update-grows.html

Mike

napacon
August 4th, 2016, 08:08
My Life Saver with WIN 7 is the System Restore, Just yesterday Had a crash Power Outage ,Lightning Storm..When got it back??And for reasons not Known my FSXSE was gone? Along with other stuff Totally lost ..a Quick System restore?...Got it back....A Very Important tool will not give it up.... just my experience...No WIN 10 for me! Thnx

dhazelgrove
August 4th, 2016, 10:40
I've just installed the 'update' on three machines - one after the other. It's taken me most of the day.

The good news? FSXA and P3Dv2.5 both work as they did. No issues.
Kaspersky does get messed up, though. The registration key info on one machine got lost and had to be re-entered. One other had to have a new Kaspersky install.

All privacy and security settings are reset to the M$-preferred values - so you'll have to go through them all again.

This is supposed to be a staged roll-out, but you can force the process by going here (http://www.snipca.com/21195) and starting the update yourself.
You won't be able to get out of it if you have Win10 already.

Dave

flaviossa
August 4th, 2016, 12:11
Did the update in here ... everything working ok so far :encouragement:

Navy Chief
August 4th, 2016, 15:35
Well I am not on wireless, and until there's a fix available, I am not booting up Win 10. I still have Win 7 on another hard drive, but no longer have FSX on it. For now, I will wait to see what happens. Thank for the heads up. NC

big-mike
August 5th, 2016, 07:33
From Woodys site:

"With the update rolling out slowly, there’s a good chance it hasn’t yet tried to install itself on your machine. If that’s the case, you can proactively try to block the update for now. If you’re on a Wi-Fi connection, you can use the metered connection trick (http://www.infoworld.com/article/3053701/microsoft-windows/block-windows-10-forced-updates-without-breaking-your-machine-part-2.html) to keep the Anniversary Update off your machine. If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can bypass the forced update to Win10 Anniversary Update by clicking Start > Settings > Update & recovery > Advanced Options and check the box marked Defer upgrades. If you aren’t on Wi-Fi and only have Win10 Home, you’re forced into a considerably more complex (http://www.infoworld.com/article/3053701/microsoft-windows/block-windows-10-forced-updates-without-breaking-your-machine-part-2.html) blocking situation which involves using wushowhide to keep it off your machine"

There are ways to block W10 udates.
Mike

Navy Chief
August 5th, 2016, 09:34
I only have the Home edition of Win10, and don't understand all the crap I'd have to go through to stop the update. For now I am using my other hard drive with Win 7, and will stay connected with whats happening that way. Sucks. F&*%ing Microsoft.:banghead:

NC

ncooper
August 5th, 2016, 09:53
I have forced the update, it went well, I have reset all the options which was the first
thing the update displayed.
Sometimes it is better to go with the flow, I think, I'm not the British secret service and
have nothing on my PC that isn't on millions of others, so I really don't care too much
if Microsoft wants to share it with a few million more.

gradyhappyg
August 5th, 2016, 10:35
The only issues I had was Magic Jack no longer uploading the contact list and a bunch of the system settings I had turned off turned back on. No biggie in either case.

dhazelgrove
August 5th, 2016, 11:19
If you're using Win10 Home and you use a Wi-Fi connection, you can 'defer' the update by setting your connection to "metered".
To do this, go to Settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi. Click 'Advanced Options' and then 'Set As Metered Connection'.

If you're running Win10 Pro, you can use the 'defer upgrades' option under Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, 'Advanced Options'.

Dave

AussieMan
August 5th, 2016, 15:59
Did the update in here ... everything working ok so far :encouragement:

Flavio, I have been using W10 since the earliest Alpha releases, the same as I have done with Vista, W7, W8 and W8.1. During that time I have rebuilt my computer several times. Not because of any problems caused by these operating systems but the need to upgrade my system. You see I am what you call a "Windows Insider" who finds all the problems before you get them. There will always be people who hate Windows. They are the fearmongers of the computer world. Something akin to a politician who tries to further his cause by spreading fear. And yes, people do actually fall for it.

My advice to these people is to go find somewhere else to peddle your fearmongering.

DennyA
August 6th, 2016, 14:00
Updated four machines. Zero problems. I did choose to go back in and turn System Restore back on.

Naismith
August 6th, 2016, 20:51
My advice to these people is to go find somewhere else to peddle your fearmongering.

Not exactly fair when there are folks out there who have experienced real issues with W10

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3104389/microsoft-windows/the-case-against-windows-10-anniversary-update-grows.html

I tried it, liked the OS on the whole but it for me it had real issues running FSXA & FSXSE. SE was like a slideshow. So I went back to W7 64.

hairyspin
August 6th, 2016, 23:20
A recent upgrade to W10 Pro left me with a machine which runs FSX-A quite happily. More to the point, I haven't found any of the old software I still use which won't run happily. WinZip, screenshot software, Gmax, 3dsMax, Photoshop, CFS3 and its developer tools: check, check and check again. The article linked above mutters about Cortana getting borked - wow. I'd really miss that.

Your mileage may vary: I'm happy. :-)

awstub
August 6th, 2016, 23:22
Flavio, I have been using W10 since the earliest Alpha releases, the same as I have done with Vista, W7, W8 and W8.1. During that time I have rebuilt my computer several times. Not because of any problems caused by these operating systems but the need to upgrade my system. You see I am what you call a "Windows Insider" who finds all the problems before you get them. There will always be people who hate Windows. They are the fearmongers of the computer world. Something akin to a politician who tries to further his cause by spreading fear. And yes, people do actually fall for it.

I don't know what a "Windows Insider" is exactly (a beta tester???) but the issue I have with your statement is that it looks like your experience is only with your computer system. That's really not enough of a sample group to label the warnings here as "fear mongering".

I am an IT professional with 30+ years experience and when it comes to Microsoft operating systems....especially when they are fairly new... some hardware combinations just don't work very well with them. Couple this with an end user who is not computer savvy and it can be very disruptive to their life as well as expensive for them to get fixed.

Unlike home users, most corporate entities that use Windows based systems test software updates/service packs thoroughly to make sure that they won't get burned by them. Even then, sometimes one slips through the cracks and creates a problem. There is nothing so maddening as when you apply an update and it takes down a mission critical system that absolutely needs to be operational. I have been there, done that....which is why I am always leery of any new updates being pushed by Microsoft.

hairyspin
August 7th, 2016, 00:13
A Windows Insider is a "beta tester". Anyone can join the programme and let new MS developments loose on their system before they're made fully public.

modelr
August 7th, 2016, 06:36
Updated my Toshiba Satellite notebook, which is 4 years old, original Win 7 64bit machine. No problems, yet. Went smoother than the original up grade to Win 10. I did have the start menu problem, TWICE, on here, where the only fix that would work was a reload of Win 10. (returning to Win 7 wouldn't work.) Both reloads updated me to the next release of Win10, and had everything working properly again. Never lost any software, although I did have to reload one or two items to get them back in the registry. I do keep ALL my programs on a separate hard drive, as well as most on DVD disk. I DO always disconnect my external drives, used for FS storage, for all updates. My FS machine (in my sig) would not update to Win 10, (on the last day of free update,) until I disconnected ALL the extra INTERNAL drives. Turned out one of the HDD's was going bad, and for some reason the update kept wanting to boot to that disk, which wasn't even a bootable disk. It was also causing memory problems. Once I unplugged the internals, except C:/ drive, everything went smooth. These were all upgrades, not fresh install, (which was going to be my next attempt. I did NOT want to do that.) After the upgrade, I plugged everything back in, and that's how I found the bad disk. Everything else seems to be working fine, so far.

Your mileage may vary.

dhazelgrove
August 7th, 2016, 08:57
Both FSXA and P3Dv2 seem to be very happy under the new Win10.

Dave

Gdavis101
August 8th, 2016, 11:52
I installed it on my laptop, no problems. Installed it on my Dad's Desktop PC, no problems. Installed it on my desktop that I gave to my Dad so he wouldn't have to upgrade and it corrupted Windows and the computer just asks for a bootable device. A quick repair fixes the problem, but that removes the update. Its a fresh install, had to replace the drives in it a few months back so I am guessing it has something to do with the way the Asus motherboard and windows handles the hard drives.. Maybe. My Dads old PC is a dual core intel job and my PC is an AMD 8350, who knows.

UnknownGuest12
August 8th, 2016, 15:39
3 desktops, 2 laptops in the family, no problems whatsoever...using only P3D v 3.5, just perfect and quite happy with the improvements...

Navy Chief
August 9th, 2016, 05:32
Well, the Anniversary Update was "delivered" to my system this past Sunday. Other than having to go through the security settings, as Dhazelgrove had mentioned, I have had zero problems. Quite pleased. :encouragement: NC

Bjoern
August 9th, 2016, 06:59
Any notable performance increases with the update?

Navy Chief
August 9th, 2016, 12:09
Any notable performance increases with the update?

Could be my imagination, but it does seem to run a little faster..... NC

Naismith
August 9th, 2016, 16:34
A guide from a Windows Guru Britec may be of use to some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsmuFWBHJqo&feature=em-uploademail

gastonj
August 10th, 2016, 01:56
Hi,

A recent upgrade to W10 Pro left me with a machine which runs FSX-A quite happily. More to the point, I haven't found any of the old software I still use which won't run happily. WinZip, screenshot software, Gmax, 3dsMax, Photoshop, CFS3 and its developer tools: check, check and check again. The article linked above mutters about Cortana getting borked - wow. I'd really miss that.

Your mileage may vary: I'm happy. :-)

Gmax is working fine on your W10....i don't believe! I have the material editor stuck. What is the cure?

JMC

Crusader
August 10th, 2016, 08:25
The update went with a hitch with the exception of it not picking up the free copy of CCleaner that I had loaded up on the previous editon of my Windows 10 64 bit . I just downloaded and reinstalled the latest free copy and it works fine along with all the flightsim stuff . I have noticed some Windows and Explorer menu changes . I'll have to read up on all the changes that went into Win 10 SP1 .

Rich

hschuit
August 10th, 2016, 10:18
A guide from a Windows Guru Britec may be of use to some.

Naismith, thanks! The video is quite helpful, took the plunge today and emerged without major headaches. The only important things I lost were the NVidia Inspector profiles but I have seen that before when I updated the drivers in the past. I was a bit anxious about my dual boot 32bit / 64bit OS setup but everything survived the updates quite well.

hairyspin
August 10th, 2016, 10:31
Gmax is working fine on your W10....i don't believe! I have the material editor stuck. What is the cure?

I haven't had that happen: do you mean the Material Editor freezes or it leaves areas on screen frozen after using it? There is a known issue with 3ds Max leaving frozen areas on the screen, but running the program as an Administrator avoids that, so try the same with Gmax.

Bjoern
August 10th, 2016, 12:39
Could be my imagination, but it does seem to run a little faster.....

That'd be nice since every bit of performance counts for FSX.

See here for a discussion on this issue and possible solutions:
http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/gmax-material-editor-not-available-after-windows-10-upgrade.435033/

Gdavis101
August 10th, 2016, 12:45
Turned out to be my Motherboard causing the problem. All is right with the world now, well as much as it can be with Windows 10. :dizzy:

gastonj
August 11th, 2016, 02:20
I haven't had that happen: do you mean the Material Editor freezes or it leaves areas on screen frozen after using it? There is a known issue with 3ds Max leaving frozen areas on the screen, but running the program as an Administrator avoids that, so try the same with Gmax.

Thank's, i'll try soon.

JMC

TeiscoDelRay
August 11th, 2016, 04:31
Yup, update trashed my win 10 so had to start from scratch.

Jafo
August 11th, 2016, 05:46
Yup, update trashed my win 10 so had to start from scratch.

Yep....when it works...it works.

When it doesn't.... it all goes to poo.

Sort of Russian Roulette....only with one empty chamber...;)