PDA

View Full Version : Question about UT repaints of Shessi Catalina

MaskRider
July 17th, 2016, 13:36
Hi guys,

Installed Shessi's CFS2 reworks of the AflphaSim Catalinas, As far as I can tell there were three of them:

Consolidated_Catalina_MkI_CFS2.zip
Consolidated_Catalina_PBY-2_CFS2.zip
Consolidated_Catalina_PBY-5_CFS2.zip

When looking for repaints of same I found several that were done by UncleTarget

Shessi_early_PBY_Patwing10_UT.zip
Shessi_early_PBY_VVS_JAN42_UT.zip
Shessi_early_PBY_VP22_AUG41_UT.zip

In the readmes UT says that the repaints are "for Shessi's early PBY Catalina".

Can someone clarify for me if the PBY-2 is the "early" model UT refers to or is there another model floating around that I need to get.

I installed the Patwing repaint over a copy of the PBY-2 Catalina because UT's included aircraft.cfg file reads sim=Catalina PBY2.

However, when I get it into the sim everything appears to be OK except that there are no nose or sides gunners or guns showing but when I pull the trigger I get gun flashes coming out of the nose and the side gun stations.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40527&stc=1

In the aircraft.cfg file UT describes the Patwing as a PBY-4.

So I am wondering if I am using the correct PBY model or whether if there might be another early model Shessi PBY floating around somewhere.

BTW, of the 3 Shessi versions I found, the PBY-2 is the only one that does not have the lateral gun-blisters- as is also the case with the repaints done by UT.

Also, in the un-UT-midified Shessi PBY-2 there are also no visible guns or gunners but there are also no gun flashes when one pulls the trigger either. Is this is deliberate because this earlier version of was so early, i.e. pre-war, that it carried no weapons? I don't know.

So, I am wondering: where are the gunners and the guns?

Thanks,
MR

Rami
July 17th, 2016, 13:54
Chris,

The best guess is those are for the -2 model, not the -5 model.

UncleTgt
July 17th, 2016, 13:59
Hiya Chris,

The repaints were done for the PBY-2.

I wanted to commemorate Patwing 10's ordeal & Shessi's -2 was the nearest to the -4 used by them.

I never added gunners as the rear hatches stay shut when used by the AI, & I was thinking it might see uses as an AI target for early Jap fighter campaigns as much as anything.

MaskRider
July 17th, 2016, 14:04
Chris,

The best guess is those are for the -2 model, not the -5 model.

Agreed. The 5 and MkI models both have the lateral gun blisters. The model UTs repaints are made for do not. They have little square doors that slide open as does the 2.

But how come the gun-flashes and gun-sounds but no guns or gunners? That was what made me think that perhaps there might be some other intermediate model like a 3 or 4 kicking around someplace.

MR

MaskRider
July 17th, 2016, 14:09
Hiya Chris,

The repaints were done for the PBY-2.

I wanted to commemorate Patwing 10's ordeal & Shessi's -2 was the nearest to the -4 used by them.

I never added gunners as the rear hatches stay shut when used by the AI, & I was thinking it might see uses as an AI target for early Jap fighter campaigns as much as anything.

Okay, gotcha. Thanks for the info, UT.

If you know, was the original Shessi-2, with what appears to be a prewar paint-scheme, meant to have no weapons at all- no guns, nothing?

MR

UncleTgt
July 18th, 2016, 02:08
Pretty much correct. The -2 was originally made for FS9, & Mick did a selection of highly coloured pre-WW2 repaints for her.
I guess nobody thought it would go to war...:rocket: