PDA

View Full Version : Meigs removal

planejunky
February 5th, 2009, 13:02
Does anyone know how to remove Meigs Field from the Chicago scenery please?

Cheers
:ernae:

Lionheart
February 5th, 2009, 13:05
Eeeeks... Horrible thought..

But.. If you really did wish to, just open up AFCAD, dial in Meigs, and delete the runway and all, and install a big park of just grass, save, done, boot up FS and see the damage..

Bill

brad kaste
February 5th, 2009, 13:14

Cheers
:ernae:

planejunky,..............what in the heck is goin' on in your noggin? Remove Meigs?! That's blasphemy! Take it from a life time Chicagoan. It was one of Mayor Daley's most darkest deeds.
Try not to follow suit if possible. :amen:

planejunky
February 5th, 2009, 13:32
planejunky,..............what in the heck is goin' on in your noggin? Remove Meigs?! That's blasphemy! Take it from a life time Chicagoan. It was one of Mayor Daley's most darkest deeds.
Try not to follow suit if possible. :amen:
Now that I won't disagree with! They'd just removed the runway the last time I was over there, many unhappy people too! I guess I just want a current rendition of the place so sadly Meigs has to go. :(

We had the same happen to Ipswich Airport near where I live, the users even staged a sit in but to no avail. Now it's the ugliest housing development you've ever seen. :rolleyes: A mate of mine now takes the odd opportunity to fly a twin along what was the runway just to p!ss off the current inhabitants and remind them of what was there before them!! :woot:

Lionheart
February 5th, 2009, 14:15
Brad,

You guys need to take back control of your fine City and rebuild Meigs. Would be cool to have some classic airshows there right after OshKosh. Just a hop over the lake.

Bill

OBIO
February 5th, 2009, 14:26
Other than pure corruption, what was the reason behind Daley's over-night demolishing of Meigs Field? I've read that the FAA was very unhappy about it.

OBIO

brad kaste
February 5th, 2009, 14:36
Obio,.........the reason given by Daley that he saw it as a jumping off place for some terrorist group or persons. You know,...bomb or dive into Sears or the Hancock Building. Jus' like 9/11. (Yeah,.....right. If you believe that,.....I'll try to find some honest politicians in Chicago and Cook County....) What Daley's real reason why he had Meigs destroyed no really knows. Personally, I think he's always had a hang up about small aircraft.
Lionheart,....Only in one's dreams,.....or in FS9,...will one be able to fly to his heart's contend from Meigs Field.......
There is a big air and water show though every August. It's quite impressive.

planejunky
February 5th, 2009, 15:24
Very, I was at the show in 2004 and really enjoyed it.

jhefner
February 5th, 2009, 15:32
I've read that the FAA was very unhappy about it.

It didn't help that they dug (not painted) X marks in the runway overnight; leaving over a dozen planes stranded there! :faint:
http://www.aopa.org/images/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-1-157x_5.jpg

whitehawk_2009
February 5th, 2009, 15:44
The reason I've heard is that Mrs Daley wanted a park there. 'Tis a cryin' shame, would have been great to fly in there and go to a Cubs game. Or Sox game either for that matter.

WH

dcc
February 5th, 2009, 17:06
it was a sad day indeed

- dcc

OBIO
February 5th, 2009, 17:40
And people still re-elect him?

brad kaste
February 5th, 2009, 18:17
Daley usually wins by a land slide just as his father, Richard J. Daley use to do. He has a near total lock on the city council. Pretty much a rubber stamp. But hey,...the garbage does get picked up on time. Can't beat that!

Tom Clayton
February 5th, 2009, 21:41
I thought about just removing the bgl that contains that airport, but AP924170.BGL contains several hundred airports in three states!:faint:

Wild Bill Kelso
February 6th, 2009, 06:28
Different place, same story:

Dont't forget that Berlin-Tempelhof (EDDI) was closed in nearly the same manner last October!
The official and published reason was the fear of rivalry to the "Berlin-Brandenburg International Airport", said to be opened about 2011 or 2013... :bs:

Last official ships to take off were a C-47 and a Ju-52, three aircraft stranded on closure day due to bad weather (one Beech, two AN-2) and were allowed to take off by special permission some days after.

Cryin' shame too!

It's too quiet around here, living about 2 nm away from Tempelhofs NDB 'DIP'...

Cheers,
Markus.

fsafranek
February 6th, 2009, 10:59
blasphemy :censored:

Friends of Meigs (http://www.friendsofmeigs.org/) forever!

Odie
February 6th, 2009, 11:53
I thought about just removing the bgl that contains that airport, but AP924170.BGL contains several hundred airports in three states!:faint:

Hey Tom, with all those airports closed they'd have more room for the O'Hare expansion....:icon_lol:

planejunky
February 6th, 2009, 15:31
Daley usually wins by a land slide just as his father, Richard J. Daley use to do. He has a near total lock on the city council. Pretty much a rubber stamp. But hey,...the garbage does get picked up on time. Can't beat that!

I have to say I was extremely impressed by how clean the city is, my local town is a proper sh1thole by comparison. As they say, the city works!

As a paid up member of the 74 (F) Sqn association, I was very pleased to see the 74 Sqn Spitfire in the science and industry museum, though perhaps it should be chasing the Stuka, not the other way round! :icon_lol:

GT182
February 6th, 2009, 16:01
I have to say I was extremely impressed by how clean the city is, my local town is a proper sh1thole by comparison. As they say, the city works!

Chicago is cleaner than the whole state of Delaware ever dreamed of being. This is one filthy state....people here are litteraly a bunch of pigs.

brad kaste
February 6th, 2009, 16:02
As a paid up member of the 74 (F) Sqn association, I was very pleased to see the 74 Sqn Spitfire in the science and industry museum, though perhaps it should be chasing the Stuka, not the other way round! :icon_lol:[/quote]

planejunkey,...The Spitfire actually was a veteran from the Battle of Britain. The JU87 was shot down in 1941 in Libya. It's only one of two Stukas that exist today. Don't have a clue where the other one is located.
Now, my memory gets a bit fuzzy on this....but some years ago (I think) the Stuka fell from it's suspended cables. Not too much damage was done however. Hey,...ya' see,....the Spitfire got the Stuka after all!

whitehawk_2009
February 6th, 2009, 17:07
A Ju-87G-2 that was captured by British troops in Germany in 1945 is on display at the RAF Museum in London.

WH

WarHorse47
February 6th, 2009, 17:17
Reading this thread really hurts. :mad:

Chicago is my home town. Born there, I was.

As a pre-teen my Mom and I went to church downtown. Afterwards she would give me some loose change so I could visit my favorite places such as the Chicago Art Museum, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium and Meigs Field and have a hot dog at the stand.

At Meigs Field in those days you could stand against the North fence at the end of the runway, and have the planes land just a few feet above your head. What a rush. I loved it.

After an afternoon hike and an hour at the Field, it was time to take the transit home - The "L", for Elevated train, was my 15 minute ride North to home.

Sad to see those memories with a big 'X' in the middle. Guess that's why I do all my flight simming at my current home in the Pacific Northwest.

--WH

TARPSBird
February 6th, 2009, 17:45
Warhorse,
Sounds like you lived up around Wrigley Field if you rode the "L" north for 15 minutes or so. I used to go to Cubs games with my uncle when I was a kid and later when I was home on leave from the Navy. We'd catch the "L" at Linden Ave. in Wilmette. Much easier than driving to the park. :)
planejunky,
Those hanging planes at the Museum of Science & Industry were the first real WWII warbirds I ever saw. Pretty impressive when you're 10 years old. Did you tour the U-505 when you visited?

skyhawka4m
February 6th, 2009, 18:07
I have always wished someone would do an awesome payware of a what if of Meigs....

DennyA
February 6th, 2009, 19:13
Mrs. Daley? Is that you?

WarHorse47
February 6th, 2009, 19:22
Warhorse,
Sounds like you lived up around Wrigley Field if you rode the "L" north for 15 minutes or so. I used to go to Cubs games with my uncle when I was a kid and later when I was home on leave from the Navy. We'd catch the "L" at Linden Ave. in Wilmette. Much easier than driving to the park. :)
planejunky,
Those hanging planes at the Museum of Science & Industry were the first real WWII warbirds I ever saw. Pretty impressive when you're 10 years old. Did you tour the U-505 when you visited?The first house I remember was on the West Side around Chicago Avenue and Kedzie - not sure I spelled it right. I remember my parents taking me to Midway on the observation deck to see the TWA Constellations.

After the parents divorce my Mom and I lived in a basement flat in Rodgers Park. We were a block away from the Lake, and the 'L' Station was two blocks away. For 25 cents and a transfer ticket you could go anywhere around Chicago.

In later years my Mom remarried and we lived in DesPlanes and my Dad still lived in Chicago. I would go visit him, and he would take me to the Museum of Science and Industry. Our neightbor in DesPlanes worked for the airlines out of O'Hare before all the remodelling, and he took me on a tour including the cockpit of one of the first 707's. I still have some black and white photos somewhere. I also recall riding my bicycle to O'Hare and in those days you could get fairly close to the end of the runways, and I was awestruck by seeing a pair of Air National Guard F-86's taking off over my head.

Ah memories. That is how we city kids fell in love with aviation, I guess, and why Meigs was important in my youth. But, as they say...:focus:

--WH

Tom Clayton
February 6th, 2009, 21:31
But, as they say...:focus:
I suppose I could try to whip up an exclude bgl sometime this weekend. No promises though, got quite a bit planned. Only thing is though, there won't be any autogen either, just the bare ground textures. It would take a scenery designer to add the park that's there now.

planejunky
February 7th, 2009, 03:26
Sorry if I've caused any ill feeling, that was certainly not my intention. My only intention was to try to keep FS as accurate as possible in the modern world, and sadly thanks to Mayor Daley that world doesn't now include Meigs. I was as upset as anyone, it was done in the most underhanded way, and on the most pathetic of excuses.

I like to fly around the Chicago area as I have very fond memories of the place, and have visited many of the land marks picked out in FS9. As I said, I didn't want to cause upset to anyone. :frown:

planejunky
February 7th, 2009, 03:31
planejunkey,...The Spitfire actually was a veteran from the Battle of Britain. The JU87 was shot down in 1941 in Libya. It's only one of two Stukas that exist today. Don't have a clue where the other one is located.
Now, my memory gets a bit fuzzy on this....but some years ago (I think) the Stuka fell from it's suspended cables. Not too much damage was done however. Hey,...ya' see,....the Spitfire got the Stuka after all!

Cool! We're lucky enough to have a few members from that period in the association who remember that actual aeroplane, and in fact the Chicago Spitfire was featured recently in the Tiger Newsletter. As Whitehawk rightly says the other Stuka is at Hendon, though there is another under restoration "somewhere in England", along with a Fw190 and Me262.

I really wanted to see the U-Boat, but it was closed for restoration the last twice I visited the city. :frown: