PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Documentary on the "George"

dasuto247
June 22nd, 2016, 23:28
Stumbled across this.Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3Xj0Eqa4Q

bearcat241
July 1st, 2016, 21:56
Well D, i see that this didn't get much traction, but i wanted to thank you nonetheless. Very enlightening insight into Japan's "last stand" efforts against the US raiders. Although the combat records seem a bit fuzzy and exaggerated by both sides of engagements between the "Blues" and the Georges, its clear that the George was no pushover against the Hellcats and Corsairs. I'm still exploring the possibility of creating some sort of short Bearcat campaign in the near term and your share here gives me more foundation to work with.

Even in CFS2, its the best all-around, player-flyable dogfighter in the entire stock hangar. In online gaming, i used to pick the stock George over the Zero, the Corsair and the Hellcat. It simply kicks ass in the turning fight. Its only weakness is its low ammo load. Once you're out, all you can do is tease your opponents and keep them guessing...LOL. After trying their very best in Cats and Hogs against my George, i once had a guy slip a modded Hog into what had been a stock-only fight (not a 'no-fun' comp mind you). By that point i was out of ammo, but we spent considerable time chasing each other around and he never touched me, even with a mod. :biggrin-new:

Interesting note: although the George was the better fighter historically, IMO the CFS2 AI engine fights more aggressively with the stock Oscar in QC. I have far more fun shooting it out with the Oscar than both the Zero and the George.

dasuto247
July 2nd, 2016, 13:43
Well D, i see that this didn't get much traction, but i wanted to thank you nonetheless. Very enlightening insight into Japan's "last stand" efforts against the US raiders. Although the combat records seem a bit fuzzy and exaggerated by both sides of engagements between the "Blues" and the Georges, its clear that the George was no pushover against the Hellcats and Corsairs. I'm still exploring the possibility of creating some sort of short Bearcat campaign in the near term and your share here gives me more foundation to work with.

Even in CFS2, its the best all-around, player-flyable dogfighter in the entire stock hangar. In online gaming, i used to pick the stock George over the Zero, the Corsair and the Hellcat. It simply kicks ass in the turning fight. Its only weakness is its low ammo load. Once you're out, all you can do is tease your opponents and keep them guessing...LOL. After trying their very best in Cats and Hogs against my George, i once had a guy slip a modded Hog into what had been a stock-only fight (not a 'no-fun' comp mind you). By that point i was out of ammo, but we spent considerable time chasing each other around and he never touched me, even with a mod. :biggrin-new:

Interesting note: although the George was the better fighter historically, IMO the CFS2 AI engine fights more aggressively with the stock Oscar in QC. I have far more fun shooting it out with the Oscar than both the Zero and the George.

Yes, I've noticed in many instances (and sure it's not isolated to the PTO) claims of enemy planes destroyed on both sides were exaggerated often.I've been rereading Bruce Gamble's "The Black Sheep" and he often addresses the discrepancies on both sides, but also how they were often close as well.I believe for most part it was not on purpose, more had to do with he chaotic nature of aerial combat, especially during that time. Considering how the F6F and F4U dominated every other Japanese fighter(except maybe the KI-84) , the George definitely gave them a fit, especially as it was flown by the elite aviators they had left.

Interesting you bring up a Bearcat campaign, a project I have had planned for a while is 1945, and perhaps a bit of "what if" , where the war does not end in August 1945 and would include Operation Downfall.This would give opportunity to fly the F8F in some challenging combat. F8F and George makes for a pretty interesting dogfight.I have my Coral Sea and Midway basically wrapped up, just testing and making minor corrections, should release soon.Black Sheep campaign will be finished before long.I may switch gears and focus on later war , potential for a lot of challenging missions there. My main difficulty has been getting the kamikazes to function properly but suppose will figure it out eventually.

I agree the George is the best stock plane, I played a few online sessions back in the day and used it a bit. Definitely one of the tougher AI planes to to face as well when skill level is set with vet or ace and average to high aggressiveness.
I do wish could still fly online against each other, keep skills sharper than facing the AI. Especially with better connections these days, could be a lot of fun.

Glad you enjoyed the documentary.

bearcat241
July 2nd, 2016, 16:45
Been flying my various Bears against an assortment of Georges and Franks all day in QC...quite a contrast to the Wildcat vs Zeros, Claudes and Nates. I've been doing a lot of QC business over the Japanese islands lately, really getting into a late war and 1946 'what-if' frame of mind.