PDA

View Full Version : Sopwith F.1 Camel Installation

aljay
June 12th, 2016, 20:26
Although I have tried to install this aircraft following the instructions in the ReadMe.txt, I cannot get it to show up in FSX.

Perhaps someone who has successfully installed it, using the method described, could suggest where I may have gone astray.

dhasdell
June 12th, 2016, 21:23
Which Camel is it?

huub vink
June 13th, 2016, 00:00
Aljay,

There is a Camel done by Craig Richardson and Matt Ivey (Classic Wings) and a Camel done by David Eckert and upgraded to native FSX-A by W.E. Stephens. When you use an installer, I assume it is the first one.
For me the installer worked like advertised, which is why I wonder whether you are perhaps using the steam version of FSX.

When you do I think the installer created a folder structure on the location where the normal version of FSX should be located.

Cheers,
Huub

aljay
June 13th, 2016, 16:41
Aljay,

There is a Camel done by Craig Richardson and Matt Ivey (Classic Wings) and a Camel done by David Eckert and upgraded to native FSX-A by W.E. Stephens. When you use an installer, I assume it is the first one.
For me the installer worked like advertised, which is why I wonder whether you are perhaps using the steam version of FSX.

When you do I think the installer created a folder structure on the location where the normal version of FSX should be located.

Cheers,
HuubHi and thanks for your reply. It is the version done by Craig Richardson and Matt Ivey that I am trying to install. I have tried to follow the readme for installation but I must
be missing something because it won't show up in FSX (not the steam version).

After unzipping, there is a folder "Main FS Folder" containing the "effects' and "sound" which are cut and pasted
into the main FS directory. Then it says to cut and paste the Sopwith_Camel" folder into your main Flight Simulator x or Prepar3D/SimObjects/Airplanes. I put this into "SimObjects/Airplanes.

Where can I find the David Eckert Camel as it may be easier to install.?

DaveB
June 14th, 2016, 00:41
Can't see why you're having problems with the Classic Wings Camel aljay. The instructions you've noted are exactly what you do. In the effects folder are 2 files.. smoke_camel and Spandau and in the sound folder is wwi_guns. Even if you put these in the wrong place.. the aircraft should still show. The Sopwith_Camel folder is simply dropped into your Airplanes folder. Searching under Manufacturer 'in sim'.. you'll find it under Sopwith. Did you download it from the Classic Wings site or somewhere else?

Not saying anything against Dave Eckerts model but the Classic Wings version is one of the best bi-planes I have and worth persevering with. A bit of a handful to fly.. no 'hands off' with this girl!!.. but very rewarding and a great 'looker':encouragement:
ATB
DaveB:)

MDIvey
June 14th, 2016, 07:25
Dave's right, downloaded from Craig's site to check http://www.classicwings.net/ (Seems Craig's site has had a revamp!)

installation is into Airplane folder... but make sure you get the right sopwith camel folder (down to the level with all the textures and model files) then copy the effects files to effects folder and sound files to main sound folder and you should be good to go.

The other Camel is available on this site under FSX military props. They compliment each other nicely. The one me and Craig did was a field modified late war camel with wider under carriage legs. The other model is more representative of the Camels with thinner undercarriage struts and as they came out of the factory and fully enclosed gun hump.

Hope you manage to get it working ok

Matt

aljay
June 14th, 2016, 20:12
Can't see why you're having problems with the Classic Wings Camel aljay. Did you download it from the Classic Wings site or somewhere else?
A bit of a handful to fly.. no 'hands off' with this girl!!.. but very rewarding and a great 'looker':encouragement:
ATB
DaveB:)I was using a version that came on a disk included in the magazine "PC Pilot". I then downloaded the version from classicwings.net and it has installed ok.

Thanks for your comments about where the download had come from.

aljay
June 14th, 2016, 20:18
Dave's right, downloaded from Craig's site to check http://www.classicwings.net/ (Seems Craig's site has had a revamp!)

installation is into Airplane folder... but make sure you get the right sopwith camel folder (down to the level with all the textures and model files) then copy the effects files to effects folder and sound files to main sound folder and you should be good to go.

The other Camel is available on this site under FSX military props. They compliment each other nicely. The one me and Craig did was a field modified late war camel with wider under carriage legs. The other model is more representative of the Camels with thinner undercarriage struts and as they came out of the factory and fully enclosed gun hump.

Hope you manage to get it working ok

MattThanks Matt. With Dave's query about where I got the download and your advice I have it installed OK. I appreciate all the help I have received on the Forum. Cheers.

DaveB
June 15th, 2016, 02:50
Excellent. She's a real beaut isn't she:encouragement:

Atb
DaveB:)