PDA

View Full Version : TRA Bristol Beaufort- missing gauges

MaskRider
June 10th, 2016, 17:23
Hi guys,

I am installing Tom Sanford's TRA Bristol Beaufort.

The install requires two other zips to get it installed properly. One is a revised MDL file. The other is a file named beaufortgauges-1.zip.

Both are available at Simiviation at the following addy: CFS2 > Aircraft > Page 12 (http://simviation.com/1/browse-Aircraft-83-11)

I installed both and yet still there are a bunch of missing gauges non of which are included in the beaufortgauges-1.zip. They are all supposed to be contained in a gauge cab file named Mosquito.gau.

I have such a file in my gauges folder but it does not include the gauges that are missing. Anybody know where I can get my hands on a proper mosquito.gau file?

The missing files being called out from the mosquito.gau cab file are:
Engine1_Boost
Engine2_ Boost
Engine1_Tach
Engine2_Tach
Engine1_Starter_Switch
Engine2_Starter_Switch
Magneto_switch
Bomb_Door_Actuator
Attitude
VSI
Altimeter
Compass
Turn
Flap_Indicator

Thanks
MR

PS: I was thinking that since the file I have is named beaufortgauges-1.zip that maybe there is a beaufortgauges-2.zip floating around out there somewhere?

Allen
June 10th, 2016, 18:50
Odd. The mosquito.gau I have dosen't have ANY of those gauge names...

MaskRider
June 10th, 2016, 19:30
Odd. The mosquito.gau I have dosen't have ANY of those gauge names...

Yes, its kind of strange. None of the 14 files called out from that cab file are present in my version either.

However, I was able to find nearly all the gauges I needed- 13/14. They are all stand-alone gauges most of whose names begin with the prefix "beau_". A couple of begin with the prefix "mosq".

The one that I couldn't locate is the Bomb_Door_Actuator.gau. I was able to find some button-like bombay-door openers and closers but this one has a much larger footprint and has some sort of lever deal going on with it. I might just go ahead swap-in the door_open, door-close buttons and call it good. But it would be nice to find this particular gauge.

Here is what it looks liek
http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2008/resources/beaufort-bomb_door_actuator_gauge-call-out.jpg

Cheers,
MR

bearcat241
June 10th, 2016, 21:50
Chris, this might help...

kdriver
June 11th, 2016, 03:30
Hi MR,

The confusion is because there are two Mosquito.gau files - one 1.76MB, the other 2.18MB which Bearcat has uploaded. I struck this problem a few years ago and renamed the smaller file Mosquito2.gau.

KD

MaskRider
June 11th, 2016, 04:33
Chris, this might help...

Thank you BC. Ill get it loaded up and see what happens

Hi MR,

The confusion is because there are two Mosquito.gau files - one 1.76MB, the other 2.18MB which Bearcat has uploaded. I struck this problem a few years ago and renamed the smaller file Mosquito2.gau.

KD

Thanks KD

MR

MaskRider
June 11th, 2016, 05:11
Bearcat241: Yep that did the trick! Thanks very much. :encouragement:

KD: I did as you suggested and renamed it Mosquito2.gau.

http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2008/resources/beaufort-bomb_door_actuator_gauge.jpg

Much appreciated.
MR

bearcat241
June 11th, 2016, 06:17
Glad to help :encouragement:

MaskRider
June 11th, 2016, 06:32
Only one other little issue with this AC.

No matter which engine sound I alias to, both engines start at the same time and they start at full idle. This happens no matter whether I use the "E" command or the Magneto -> Start switch on the panel. There is no wheezing and coughing or smoke either. They just go directly into full idle - both engines at the same time. Also, the engines do not respond to the "shift+3" command for shutting down. They will shut down using the Magneto -> Off switch on the panel.

Any thoughts?

MR

bearcat241
June 11th, 2016, 11:42
Unfortunately this model uses the older CFS1/CFS2 engine setup in the air file, with record 500. The standard CFS2/FS2000 setup uses record 505 for a more realistic performance throughout the range from startup to shutdown. Try replacing the air file with that of William Renwick's Beaufort, if you have it. Just rename William Renwick's air file with the name of the TR air file and replace.

MaskRider
June 11th, 2016, 12:48
Alright Baercat241,

You are a veritable fount of CFS2 wisdom, knowledge and lore!

:ernaehrung004:

That air file did the trick. The engines now stop and start as per instructed and there is plenty of wheezing, coughing and smoke!

Excellent.
http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2008/resources/beaufort-fixed.jpg
Thank you,
Chris

bearcat241
June 11th, 2016, 13:24
:encouragement:....sweet looking model too.

MaskRider
June 11th, 2016, 14:23
It is a tidy little model. I de-shined it just a hair.

If I were to ask anything else it would be for gun tubes sticking out of the wings where the gun flashes appear. But other than that, I like it.

You never know what you're going to find poking around in the Simviation CFS2 archives.

MR

bearcat241
June 11th, 2016, 17:48
Well, I'm not so sure about this model's gun armament myself. Sources i've found are saying that this kite's variants were armed with three .303 in. Vickers machine guns (two in the dorsal turret, one in port wing) or late production six .303 in. Vickers machine guns (two fixed in nose, two in turret, one in port wing and one firing laterally from entry hatch). Earlier variants also had one remotely controlled .303 in. Browning machine gun in rear-firing chin blister, which was reportedly found to be of little use and most operational units soon discarded them.

So based on this info you might want to go with a guns layout similar to Bismark13's Beaufort dp for historical accuracy. He put two in the nose and two in the dorsal turret. I went a step further and added one .303 gun to the port wing with no protruding gun tube. As far as machine guns were concerned on native productions, the British weren't too keen on protruding gun tubes from wing mounted armament. They only made exceptions with wing mounted cannons - long barrels for greater velocity and range with heavier rounds.

bearcat241
June 12th, 2016, 05:29
Chris,

After looking at this model a quite a bit more i'm inclined to agree with you on putting in the gun tubes for the lack of "painted" gun ports. I guess we'll just have to make exception for this model and do what we have to do. This model doesn't really present the option of placing nose guns nor twin .303's on the turret, so i'm killing the nose guns and turret twins. Going with a single turret gun and six in the wings. I'll post something later for you.

DJ

Update: I decided to go with two in each wing and one in the turret. Assuming you already have the tubes installed in the appropriate locations, they are not included in the attachment.