PDA

View Full Version : 1943 Hellcat textures

dasuto247
May 17th, 2016, 10:59
I've searched for some early mid to late 1943 Hellcat textures, no much in that way.Particularly I'd like some carrier air group skins for OH F6F3(TBF, SBD, Helldiver also is around) for the 1943 strikes on Wake and Marcus, Rabaul, Gilberts etc. I'm somewhat confused as have seen depictions with the "stars and bars" with the red outline, as well as some still carrying the star with blue and white roundel. Im sure it was a mixture at times as transitioned.Particularly for land based units as things were often a bit ah oc in navy and esp marine units in Solomons. Figured CV air wings were a bit more organized and adherent to the directive on paint schemes.Either way, if anyone can point me to direction to get them, Id appreciate it.

Allen
May 17th, 2016, 12:47
The red outline roundel was used June 28 1943 to July 31 1943 but some unit in the PTO only added the white bars and skipped the red outline. From July 31 1943 to the end of the war they used blue and white "stars and bars"

dasuto247
May 17th, 2016, 12:52
The red outline roundel was used June 28 1943 to July 31 1943 but some unit in the PTO only added the white bars and skipped the red outline. From July 31 1943 to the end of the war they used blue and white "stars and bars"

Thanks for the clarification.

Allen
May 17th, 2016, 14:09
More often than not planes where only repainted when needed. My F6F-5 Hellcats served together on the same ship and unit yet the Early F6F-5 kept the tri-color while the Late is sea blue.

Both the VF-16 (Hellcats) VB-16 (Dauntless) from the USS Lexington where still using red outline roundel in Dec 1943.

The CFS2 manual has a pic of a F6F-3 from the VF-16 with tri-color and red outline roundel still in use in Dec 4 1943 when it nosed over on landing. I also have texture for the Hellcat and Dauntless with red outline roundels from the USS Lexington for download.

dasuto247
May 17th, 2016, 18:45
More often than not planes where only repainted when needed. My F6F-5 Hellcats served together on the same ship and unit yet the Early F6F-5 kept the tri-color while the Late is sea blue.

Both the VF-16 (Hellcats) VB-16 (Dauntless) from the USS Lexington where still using red outline roundel in Dec 1943.

The CFS2 manual has a pic of a F6F-3 from the VF-16 with tri-color and red outline roundel still in use in Dec 4 1943 when it nosed over on landing. I also have texture for the Hellcat and Dauntless with red outline roundels from the USS Lexington for download.

Got it. I figured it was not completely uniform etc. Gets confusing at times. I believe I have those textures as well although am looking for ones with the rear windows as well. Thanks for the ifno

Allen
May 17th, 2016, 19:15
My F6F-5 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=52&linkid=20728 has the same rear windows as a F6F-3. The windows on the early F6F-5 are not painted on but apart of the model. You can use any Stock or OH texture on of my F6F-5s. Just rename the textures alike I said in the "Assitance needed with texture" thread.

UncleTgt
June 10th, 2016, 02:22
Some WIP screenshots...

The Blue/Grey is pre-operational deployment. By the time VF-9 began flying ops from Essex they were all painted in tricolour camo.

UncleTgt
June 10th, 2016, 02:23
some more...

dasuto247
June 10th, 2016, 11:16
Some WIP screenshots...

The Blue/Grey is pre-operational deployment. By the time VF-9 began flying ops from Essex they were all painted in tricolour camo.

Very nice!

dasuto247
June 10th, 2016, 11:18
some more...

You really do such work uncle. I've made extensive use of your Enterprise, Yorktown, and Lexington Air Group skins in my upcoming Coral Sea and Midway missions.Look forward to these for the Hellcat.Surprisingly not a lot of paint jobs I've found for the OH F6F.Thank you for the remedy to this.The rear windows for the -3's are a nice touch. Always bugged me the stock F6F3 did not have them.I plan to focus on the late 43 and early-mid 44 carrier activities before long, will come in handy:wavey:

UncleTgt
June 13th, 2016, 01:21
Dasuto, the windows are modelled - it's Allen's F6F3 Hellcat.

I took a little break from Hellcats ...

bub
June 13th, 2016, 04:54
Looking very nice, Unc. I especially like the tricolor scheme. They look like they're about to jump out of the screen.
Bob

Allen
June 13th, 2016, 09:29
Dasuto, the windows are modelled - it's Allen's F6F3 Hellcat.

I took a little break from Hellcats ...

The Rufe, Rufe is on fire we don't need no water let the mother :censored: burn...