Health and safety

Thread: Health and safety

Sending Marines to safety training!?!?!?!? What the heck is up with that? That's like sending Tony Stewart to Driver's ED.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bit of a nonsense story really; it's what we call the 'silly season' over here, where the papers are a bit short of news because Parliament is in recess (although, with the events in Libya you would think they might be busier), so they regularly publish these "it's h&s/political correctness/buzzphrase of choice gone mad ..." articles - at Christmas you'll get a similar rash of stories.

A counterpoint to these Health & Safety Executive came out yesterday rubbishing the trend, pointing out that it was often used as an excuse to justify poor decision making.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14634289
    Andy

Ridiculous!

Charter Member 2011
    before everyone gets their nickers in a twist .. think about it ... heres the performance area

[YOUTUBE]qLfhv_1DmHI[/YOUTUBE]

now, you have a lynx/merlin helicopter comeing in and hovering say what .. 50ft above the ground?? whilst i dont doubt the pilots skill to pull it off, it is just a tad risky dont ya think for what is a family show?? not to mention you have no idea what the downblast might kick up from the growd.
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    before everyone gets their nickers in a twist .. think about it ... heres the performance area

now, you have a lynx/merlin helicopter comeing in and hovering say what .. 50ft above the ground?? whilst i dont doubt the pilots skill to pull it off, it is just a tad risky dont ya think for what is a family show?? not to mention you have no idea what the downblast might kick up from the growd.
    That surely is the responsibility of the organisers, and not the Royal Marines!
    I agree, it is a very enclosed area, I have seen pet dogs, umbrellas and even parents having to get hold of little children when a Dutch Lynx landed in the arena at Eastbourne Airshow.

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    You obviously didn't read it. It was the RM who had to take H&S training in abseiling

Quote Originally Posted by ananda View Post
    You obviously didn't read it. It was the RM who had to take H&S training in abseiling
    That was because the methods used by the RM while 'fast roping' were deemed unsafe in a public display environment. No one ever said the RM couldn't 'fast rope' in a military situation. I am no PC nut by any means and have done things in the past which would send the H&S bunch to an early grave (we called it having fun in those days!) but I can't help wondering if the RM performed their 'fast roping' technique in public how many spotty kids would try to emulate them without the proper gear and end up as a messy pulp on the ground!
    Larry

I can't help wondering if the RM performed their 'fast roping' technique in public how many spotty kids would try to emulate them without the proper gear and end up as a messy pulp on the ground!
    Should thin out the gene pool and not the point of H&S which is to protect the individual not some Darwin Award Candidate watching. It is literally some official covering his own ass, do you think it's safer for the Marines to jump out the back in the way they've trained and practised for years or the approved method they learnt in half an hour a week ago?

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Should thin out the gene pool and not the point of H&S which is to protect the individual not some Darwin Award Candidate watching. It is literally some official covering his own ass, do you think it's safer for the Marines to jump out the back in the way they've trained and practised for years or the approved method they learnt in half an hour a week ago?
    Oh don't get me wrong Skippy I have nothing but admiration for everything the Marines do, after all I am the son of a former WWII RM Commando.

I was just making the point that some knucklehead would try and copy them if he saw them doing it. They did it so it must be easy right! :isadizzy:
    Larry