What am I doing wrong
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong

Retired SOH Administrator

What am I doing wrong

Last night Linda and I went to a friend of hers wedding that works in her office. This was a black tie affair in the evening. All I could think about was how hot I was going to be sitting there in a tux outside. The wedding was at there house outside and they just brought this house on the water. He paints for a living and she is in upper management at the bank. When we got there someone took the car and parked it for us. This house was eight-two hundred square foot and they were also adding a 1000 foot sun room which was still being built. We didn't go inside the house but I notice they had six central AC units outside. The area he was in was upper class. It was three acres on the water and they just had a hugh synthetic pier built with a 42 foot sail boat at the end along with a cigarette boat to boot. They had a full band and it was one hundred percent catered There were portable coolers set up around the whole area to keep the air cool along with white lights along the whole back yard. They had a in ground pool built close to the water that was over 500 yard away from the house and also they had a full size in the house. He had a six bay brick garage and that had a full size heating and AC unit in there. Linda and I aren't rich but we live ok. It just blows my mind how a middle class person can afford to do something like this and keep it up.They are both in their early fifties but the taxes alone along with the insurance would kill me...lol They also had a complete seafood buffet along with a open bar. The seafood buffet was something like I had never seen. I know most of our members live better than this but I need to know how you are doing it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

maxxed credit prolly. who needs the pressure?

My wife and I have friends that bought off on the consumer economy and now borrow from credit cards to pay off credit cards. If you believe the statistics, that is more common than not in the 1st world right now. No concept of cause and effect when the credit card comes out. As a nation, our leaders don't get it either and we now have a couple TRILLION dollars in deficit and it seems as if Spain and Greece are in the same boat of fiscal irresponsibility.

Not sure about your hosts of the other night, hopefully their income can sustain such a lavish life style, but I am certainly more comfortable living within my means. Still, I'd sure like to have a house and boats like your friends...
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

poet,traveler
    I owe a grand total of $8000 for a student load and my bills are $500 a month,I make $45,000 a year.I share a house with my girl and we have an 06 Impala,2000 Explorer and a 94 Explorer.All paid for and I paid cash for the 2 Explorers.

That $500 includes my health insurance and disability.I put $11,000 in the bank in a year and took the summer off before I hurt my knee and had to have surgery.Going back to work at the end of the month.No credit cards,no car payments,no mortgage.We rent because I'm not interested in owning property.

Your friends are mortgaged to their eyeballs,Moe.I would get ill if I saw the stack of payment books I know they have.Stresses me out to owe money.And remember they are probably like a gal I work with....one accident or illness away from losing everything because they have no cushion.:d
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

Oh my Goodness!

That is a very lavish, extravagant, spend money like water, wedding!

I am a single mom, struggling to save money
    for my future college student,
    in the next nine years!

... save, save, save is my goal...

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cocaine sales??

Charter Member 2016
    He sells drugs and the wife launders cash through the bank. . . you don't. Any questions ?

(just kidding - )

"Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

wealthy or not?

Maybe one of them has a long lost wealthy relative that left them a fortune.

I read something the other day during my devotional time that is soooo true:

"The fellow that has no money is poor. The fellow that has nothing but money is poorer still." --Billy Sunday

Just my two cents worth. Spend it wisely!

Donna
    Donna

PPL in 2014!!!

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending!"

Could be drug money.

Could be inherited or trust fund money.

Could be "creative financing".
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Being upper management at a bank must certainly pay well. You mention he's a painter. As in artist or blue collar house etc. painter? Artists can make a ton.

Perhaps they had a windfall from a descesed relative? Won the lottery? Perhaps some smart investing?

That being said, I'd have to agree. They're most likely in debt up to and above their eyeballs.

Moe,
    I'd say they have "other" income sources besides his painting and her bank manager job. Probably along the lines of what Toastmaker posted.

Charter Member 2016
    Well, it's just that what Moe described would likely require an annual income of around 500 thousand a year or better. Banking doesn't pay that well, even to execs, unless you have some ownership stake in a sucessful bank. And he's a painter. . . Probably inherited wealth. . . maybe.

"Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

sky pilot

liveng right ! Or so it seems but IF YOU CAN FIND OUT LEY ME KNOW TOO

:salute:
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    Last night Linda and I went to a friend of hers wedding that works in her office. This was a black tie affair in the evening. All I could think about was how hot I was going to be sitting there in a tux outside. The wedding was at there house outside and they just brought this house on the water. He paints for a living and she is in upper management at the bank. When we got there someone took the car and parked it for us. This house was eight-two hundred square foot and they were also adding a 1000 foot sun room which was still being built. We didn't go inside the house but I notice they had six central AC units outside. The area he was in was upper class. It was three acres on the water and they just had a hugh synthetic pier built with a 42 foot sail boat at the end along with a cigarette boat to boot. They had a full band and it was one hundred percent catered There were portable coolers set up around the whole area to keep the air cool along with white lights along the whole back yard. They had a in ground pool built close to the water that was over 500 yard away from the house and also they had a full size in the house. He had a six bay brick garage and that had a full size heating and AC unit in there. Linda and I aren't rich but we live ok. It just blows my mind how a middle class person can afford to do something like this and keep it up.They are both in their early fifties but the taxes alone along with the insurance would kill me...lol They also had a complete seafood buffet along with a open bar. The seafood buffet was something like I had never seen. I know most of our members live better than this but I need to know how you are doing it.

If it makes you feel better: I don't have any savings at all and live off what my parents give me.

But once I'm done and start working I won't have to worry about paying back credits, other than those students living off government funding.
    All it'll cost me later on is a three star retirement home for the old man and woman instead of the standard two stars. Sounds fair.

sky pilot

what am I doing wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    If it makes you feel better: I don't have any savings at all and live off what my parents give me.

But once I'm done and start working I won't have to worry about paying back credits, other than those students living off government funding.
    All it'll cost me later on is a three star retirement home for the old man and woman instead of the standard two stars. Sounds fair.
    Well like you said it sounds fair but when life turns away form being fair to being the same as the rest of us you will loose it all just like anyone slse !

Well Linda and I have worked for over 35 years at the same employer. We live ok...we do just about like the rest in here do. Go out to diner each week, a couple of out of town vactation....the typical stuff of average income people. Linda and I talked about it yesterday and she said they both sold there homes to buy this. I said there homes weren't paid for when they sold them so they to lay a half of mil. down...that is nothing compared to what the land and house sells for. Also you have to qualify for a loan and also all the improvements they are doing. She said her family is helping them with the work on the home improvement I said it still cost for that kind of work even if you are doing it yourself.The question of what type of painter he is....he paints houses and stuff. Linda asked me could I handle something like that ...I said hell no...to much up keep and I don't want those maintenance bills...and house payments. Panther knows how we live...we are just average people that buys toys or what ever once in a while. I didn't take any pictures but some of Linda's bank friends did. When we get them I will post them for you guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Upper bank professionals can make a fortune. They obviously have more money than you think they do!

Don

Yeah, they either inherited the money, or there is something going on. I have a feeling they do not claim everything on their income tax. Was he handing out Cuban cigars? :ernae:

In my work I come across this scenario from time to time, a lifestyle that doesn't seem to jive with percieved income. Most times it turns out there was a major inheritance or a lottery winning somewhere down the line. It really does happen, and it's certainly eye catching.

...Now...the odds of a grow op or a meth lab in the basement are certainly possible and way less eye catching....but I'd bet on a family financial hand-me-down. Maybe the parents are wealthy, or perhaps (even) these folks made some spectacularly good investments and are reaping a superb profit from it.

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    ..I moved to South America....

Prowler

Quote Originally Posted by sky pilot View Post
    Well like you said it sounds fair but when life turns away form being fair to being the same as the rest of us you will loose it all just like anyone slse !
    I still live in a country providing so much of a safety net that you won't lose everything and I'm fairly glad about it.
    I also put good trust in my education and flexbility. If no one wants me here, someone in the world will probably still want me working for them.

My grand dad always said, "Wish in one hand and poop in the other. Then see what you get first." Looks like Moe and Linda's friends missed out on the poop. Good for them, but I hope they don't end up in the poop someday. It only takes one pigeon or seagull to to may ya cry.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
    My grand dad always said, "Wish in one hand and poop in the other. Then see what you get first."
    that's a saying my kids know quite well

Well I'll tell ya something else I noticed. Being since I am into the HVAC business I am in and out of a lot of houses. It blows my mind to do work in customers houses that live in six thousand square foot houses plus...retired and in there seventies. What the hell type of retirement or investments do they have. I have started to notice this more and more as time goes on. These homes I am talking about are a million and up. This builder I was talking to said some are from up north and pay cash for the new homes. The cost of living up there is double.I said well they still have taxes and up keep along with health insurance...ect...ect. There is a place in Williamsburg called Twin Pines that the cheapest house started a one million. Alan Iverson looked at one house in there that was a tad bit over six million.He didn't buy it but it sold finally for a tad bit under seven million...lol....like I said.." what am I doing wrong" Twin Pines is a hugh golf area and I would say ninety percent are retired people that live very well. One of the houses I was in working on a water source heat pump I asked the old guy why he need a twelve bed room house, his response was he wanted each of his grand kids to have there own bedroom. The house was on the James river.No Moe ain't one of his grand kids. The house was fourteen thousand square foot.Willy is the only one I know in here that owns half of a state with that big farm house and loads of land to play on.Willy will you adopt me.

Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    Well I'll tell ya something else I noticed. Being since I am into the HVAC business I am in and out of a lot of houses. It blows my mind to do work in customers houses that live in six thousand square foot houses plus...retired and in there seventies. What the hell type of retirement or investments do they have. I have started to notice this more and more as time goes on. These homes I am talking about are a million and up. This builder I was talking to said some are from up north and pay cash for the new homes. The cost of living up there is double.I said well they still have taxes and up keep along with health insurance...ect...ect. There is a place in Williamsburg called Twin Pines that the cheapest house started a one million. Alan Iverson looked at one house in there that was a tad bit over six million.He didn't buy it but it sold finally for a tad bit under seven million...lol....like I said.." what am I doing wrong" Twin Pines is a hugh golf area and I would say ninety percent are retired people that live very well. One of the houses I was in working on a water source heat pump I asked the old guy why he need a twelve bed room house, his response was he wanted each of his grand kids to have there own bedroom. The house was on the James river.No Moe ain't one of his grand kids. The house was fourteen thousand square foot.Willy is the only one I know in here that owns half of a state with that big farm house and loads of land to play on.Willy will you adopt me.
    LOL, Hey_Moe.....

Maybe he will....

...Some people sometimes treasure things that can be destroyed, and lost... I hope the marriage stays 'till they paid all the bills.... and they have time to enjoy what they have in luxury.... together - harmoniously!

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]