Cockpit Shadows

Thread: Cockpit Shadows

Cockpit Shadows

This was posted by Paul J on a forum where some of you don't go.
    I feel sure he won't mind me reproducing it here.
    Nick.

For those who enjoy the experience of instrument panel glare one minute, and blackness in the next minute - Steve has found what he calls "a gold nugget"... Back a while ago, Bojote found an innocuous fsx.cfg parameter that had something to do with cockpit shadows.... which "did nothing"... Well, Steve tried it with DX10, and guess what! It works!

So - he has put a note on his blogsite, (see Recent Posts on right) explaining how to do it - and by NOT using the DX10 ToolBox. I know there's a thousand other aircraft out there, so I did some tests this morning, and here's the list of what works, and what doesn't work. If you don't see it in the list, it's because I haven't got it, or haven't loaded it.

Tested & works:-
    A2A Cub, Spitfire, C172:Aerosoft's PBY: the WACO:Ant's Tiggie:both Milviz and stock Beech Twins and the C310: the FrenchVFRFree C150-K Ti Bush & 150L: the Rick Piper Chippie: the stock Beaver: the CBFS DH89a Rapide;
    Manfred's C-47 v2: the Edgley Optica: stock Extra 300: BN-2 Islander: IRIS BD-5, Christen Eagle and Silence Twister: LHMaddog (Yahoo!): the Maule & Mooney Bravo: Piglet's Pilatis PC-6: stock Piper Cub:RA SF 260: the LDR Ryan Navion: SibWings BirdDog and Pitts.

Tested & didn't work:-
    MAAM B25, Do-27, SibWings Safir

pj

Here's the post:-

New FSX Setting ForceVCShadowMap
    by stevefsx
    I have just stumbled across a new fsx.cfg setting ForceVCShadowMap. Jesus Altuve had mentioned that this setting existed in the past but with no explanation of what it might do.
    In DX9 mode it does nothing, which I why I guess it was forgotten.

However in DX10 mode it seems to enable (force) VC cockpits for all aircraft regardless of the setting in the VC Model file.
    To enable this locate the [Display] section and add
    ForceVCShadowMap=1
    With this setting enabled there is no longer any need to use DX10Toolbox to turn the VC Shadows on in the model xml file.
    If you are using DX10SceneryFixer there is another bonus to this new setting.
    If you create a profile with
    Legacy Aircraft Self Shadow ticked in the Legacy Dialog
    HD Shadows unticked in the Shadow Dialog
    Force VC Walls ticked
    Then with luck you should find that you have VC Shadows in your legacy FS9 aircraft

SteveFX

That's very interesting Nick! Thanks for sharing
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

... and ... before anyone asks ... it will NOT fix the PMDG 737 NGX (for reasons described in many other posts).

However - the following PMDG aircraft *do* work:

B747
    B777
    JS4100

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

You can include the Quest Kodiak in that list, Fixer couldnt fix it but this did, was missing the necessary info.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Are there aircraft that this works for that would otherwise NOT display VC shadows using the toolbox enable method?
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    Are there aircraft that this works for that would otherwise NOT display VC shadows using the toolbox enable method?
    Yes it does! For example the Flight replicas Heron. The toolbox doesn't work on the vc shadows but the cfg entry does.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Okay. I guess it's just my dumb luck that the one or two FS9 upgraded aircraft I'm using don't respond to the cfg setting.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Okay. I guess it's just my dumb luck that the one or two FS9 upgraded aircraft I'm using don't respond to the cfg setting.
    Which ones are they? I'll see if they happen to work on my system.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

The Alphasim F101 Voodoo for one. I'll have check double check to confirm any others.

The Alphasim F101 Voodoo for one. I'll have check double check to confirm any others.
    Hmmm .. I think you're pushing your luck with that one! It's originally an FS2002 model. Very unlikely that it will have VC shadow coded in. I couldn't force any - no matter what I tried.

How do you get the display window to fill the screen on these ancient aircraft? Mine is half-size, vertically.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    Hmmm .. I think you're pushing your luck with that one! It's originally an FS2002 model. Very unlikely that it will have VC shadow coded in. I couldn't force any - no matter what I tried.

How do you get the display window to fill the screen on these ancient aircraft? Mine is half-size, vertically.

Adam.
    Just remove the X, Y coordinates from the panel cfg and it should display the panel correctly.
    SYSTEM :

My reply to vc shadows and not having to use the tool-box referred to FsX natives that couldn't be coaxed to show shadows lIke the FR Heron. I only found one of my Fs9 port-overs that would show vc shadows.
    SYSTEM :

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Just remove the X, Y coordinates from the panel cfg and it should display the panel correctly.
    Thanks! I quite like these "Cold War" era jets!

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    ... and ... before anyone asks ... it will NOT fix the PMDG 737 NGX (for reasons described in many other posts).

However - the following PMDG aircraft *do* work:

B747
    B777
    JS4100

Adam.
    What I find strange is before I installed PMDG's latest update to the 777, SP1C, I had the VC shadows working brilliantly with the Toolbox method. Since installing SP1C they no longer work.

Quote Originally Posted by B777ER View Post
    What I find strange is before I installed PMDG's latest update to the 777, SP1C, I had the VC shadows working brilliantly with the Toolbox method. Since installing SP1C they no longer work.
    I have SP1c installed and get VC shadows. However - they really are a bit odd. They don't seem to correspond to the windows/pillars etc. - just random bits of what looks like panels. I'll play with the shadows settings to see if anything helps.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

Members who have read this thread: 1