SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 24
Page 24 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1416171819202122232425262728293031323474 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

S2F-3 Redo

Last night I started rebuilding the S2F-3 fuselage by eliminating the doors and overhead windows and fleshing out the mesh. Now I can reshape the the bottom and the "bulge".

I proceeded to handcraft the flatter bottom and bulge. I think I am getting close to the needed shape now. The bulge represents a "push-out of about 5" or so.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

ok you lot..... go nuts! E-1B paintkit (FS9'ers will need to resize to 50% once paint finished):

HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Last night I started rebuilding the S2F-3 fuselage by eliminating the doors and overhead windows and fleshing out the mesh. Now I can reshape the the bottom and the "bulge".

I proceeded to handcraft the flatter bottom and bulge. I think I am getting close to the needed shape now. The bulge represents a "push-out of about 5" or so.
    Milton, do you have adequate photos to help you visualize the upper fuselage bulge?

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Stoof Profiles D/L

For anyone having trouble obtaining a COMPLETE D/L of the Stoof profiles ZiP file (on p.37 of this thread)....

I paused the D/L just as it reached the point where it cut off (6 MB in my case). Restarted it and it went the full 10MB.

- H52

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Milton, do you have adequate photos to help you visualize the upper fuselage bulge?

- H52
    I think so H52. After about 8 hours work, I now have the fuselage reconstructed with a flatter bottom, the bulge, new pilot window, new crew window, a less rounded nose shape, and general mesh improvements.

I am ready to rebuild the windshield, cut in the access door, cut in the bomb bay doors, and rebuild the flare launcher.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The bulge is certainly noticeable. Looks good.

I think so H52. After about 8 hours work, I now have the fuselage reconstructed with a flatter bottom, the bulge, new pilot window, new crew window, a less rounded nose shape, and general mesh improvements.

I am ready to rebuild the windshield, cut in the access door, cut in the bomb bay doors, and rebuild the flare launcher.
    Milton,

Looks like you're right on!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    Milton,

Looks like you're right on!

Dave
    Thanks Dave.

I have just about finished teh exterior; still have the eyebrow windows to do.

Then, I move to the interior to redo the cockpit walls and ceiling, windows, and mapping.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, the first pic (the 3/4 front view) that shows the bulge..... please hold off for a few minutes. I'm scanning and will upload some pix I want you to see.

- H52

Regarding the bulge, note that it starts as a horizontal line at the cockpit side-window and then, at the prop line, angles upward, also as a straight line.

I raise this point because in your 3/4 front view, the line appears to angle up directly from the side window. It may be an optical illusion. If so, disregard. - H52

Attachment 49250Attachment 49251Attachment 49252Attachment 49253

Got it H52; thanks.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I think I have finished the exterior of the S2F-3. Look it over and let me know if you see anything glaring.

I am moving inside now to redo the cockpit before I map the exterior for textures, again. So, there is time for feedback.

Thanks for all the assistance in getting these aircraft to this point.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Just excellent, Milton ! A nasty mod very well executed !!

On behalf of all Tracker afficionados, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, SIR !! :salute::ernae::salute:

Cheers,
    Jan

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think I have finished the exterior of the S2F-3. Look it over and let me know if you see anything glaring.

I am moving inside now to redo the cockpit before I map the exterior for textures, again. So, there is time for feedback.

Thanks for all the assistance in getting these aircraft to this point.
    That was quick! But what work!

She's looking superb Milton. Bravo!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Nice models Milton
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Excellent!

I had to take a break from the cockpit for a while so I remapped the fuselage and insides of gear and bomb bay doors.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

This is gonna be..

....so GREAT!

Kent

This is incredible, guys. Your work is really appreciated. Just curious, but did you know this project would be this complex beforehand? Thanks for all your efforts.

Pat

Milton, this is in response to your request regarding anything "glaring" that might be missing.

Looking at the six views you provided, I did not see the two ditching hatches for the rear crewmen.

Also, there is supposed to be a rotating beacon on top, amidship, just aft of the wing L.E.

Most of my S2F-3 / S-2E pix show a different aerial config consisting of dual (side-by-side) masts near the wing T.E. (where you show 2 masts in tandem)

Hope I don't sound picky.

- H52

For Jan Visser

".....and the S2F-1 (Jan Visser volunteered to do this variant)."
    Regarding the upper fuselage bulge that has cost Milton so much grief, please note the following:

On the -1 variant, the bulge starts at the bottom corner of the cockpit side-window and is a straight line angled upward toward the wing leading edge. There is no short horizontal segment as in the -3 variant.

The short horizontal segment is the result of the fuselage stretch on the -3.

- H52

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Milton, this is in response to your request regarding anything "glaring" that might be missing.

Looking at the six views you provided, I did not see the two ditching hatches for the rear crewmen.

Also, there is supposed to be a rotating beacon on top, amidship, just aft of the wing L.E.

Most of my S2F-3 / S-2E pix show a different aerial config consisting of dual (side-by-side) masts near the wing T.E. (where you show 2 masts in tandem)

Hope I don't sound picky.

- H52
    H52,

Good eyes Sir.

The beacon I will add. I chose not to add the escape hatches as they are essentially non-useful as modeled sim parts. We will ask the texture artists to add them. I know you asked for one functional unit and I apologize. With the poly size currently, I feel the cost in polys is not worth the functional value of it being there (to me).

Regarding the aerial configuration, I copied it from the best example I have of an S2F-3. I have only 2 pictures to go by that have what appears to be a standard config, and they are not that clear. I will post a pic of exactly what I have so that you or others can demonstrate what improvements need to be made.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    This is incredible, guys. Your work is really appreciated. Just curious, but did you know this project would be this complex beforehand? Thanks for all your efforts.

Pat
    All projects are complex and the degree of complexity in these projects simply makes for great challenge and interesting results.
    I also felt these aircraft needed to be done and I am a twin radial fan, so ....
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milt...

...you can't imagine how excited I am to finally see this Tracker/Tracer/Trader family coming together....one of my two favorite airplanes that have had little or no coverage in FS (the other I'd love to see is another twin radial as well...same mission...just a bit bigger!).

I'm gonna be a painting maniac on the Stoofs!

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    ...you can't imagine how excited I am to finally see this Tracker/Tracer/Trader family coming together....one of my two favorite airplanes that have had little or no coverage in FS (the other I'd love to see is another twin radial as well...same mission...just a bit bigger!).

I'm gonna be a painting maniac on the Stoofs!

Kent
    LOL Kent; I will look forward to those paints.

We are happy to be doing this for all of you guys who lived it, loved it, or just wanted a chance to ... :salute:
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here