Sode ?

Thread: Sode ?

Sode ?

I have some questions about "SODE"?

First off what does SODE do?

Second do I need to have it installed?

I am just a flyer and collector; I don't design paint or build anything; however, I do like my sim to look good.

TSquare

Blog Entries
    SODE= Sliced Off Dog Ears. Korean delicacy you dip in Gochujang. Eats good.

Quote Originally Posted by TSquare View Post
    I have some questions about "SODE"?

First off what does SODE do?

Second do I need to have it installed?

I am just a flyer and collector; I don't design paint or build anything; however, I do like my sim to look good.

TSquare
    1) The SimObject Display Engine SODE is a SimConnect module that enables developers of FS sceneries to create interactive objects by providing a basic framework of „logic instructions“. The actual implementation into a useful object using these instructions is done by the scenery developer. Thus, SODE needs input files (xml format) to work properly. Without any input files, SODE just runs idle in the background and does nothing to your existing airports! The implementations can range from simple conditional visibility objects (seasonal, weather, time, etc) to more complex systems like PAPI, pilot-controlled lighting and triggered animations. As of version V1.3, SODE also provides a custom jetway control system and a solution for automatic visual docking guidance systems A-VDGS.

2) Yes it needs to be installed
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Additionally, you only need SODE to be installed if addons come with SODE animated features, like Falcon describes. FSX by default or if addons are installed without needing SODE, it is not required.
    But most interesting and detailed sceneries mostly come with SODE triggered animations. Payware should install SODE automatically, much freeware stuff comes with detailes instructions how to install SODE, because it is not really easy to add all needed parts into the right place. This have to be done really carefully...
    Best regards, Manfred.

A SODE Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Additionally, you only need SODE to be installed if addons come with SODE animated features, like Falcon describes. FSX by default or if addons are installed without needing SODE, it is not required.
    But most interesting and detailed sceneries mostly come with SODE triggered animations. Payware should install SODE automatically, much freeware stuff comes with detailes instructions how to install SODE, because it is not really easy to add all needed parts into the right place. This have to be done really carefully...
    I am first and foremost not the most knowledgeable scenery developer and repainter on the block. That being said...my first SODE project was at KASH Airport in New Hampshire, a most detailed and complex airport that I created with the help of a lot of people including Falcon409 who has been teaching me Autogen Annotator. He did all the custom autogen at KASH for me. I ran across SODE actually by accident discovering at AVSIM an Austrian Airport that the designer created mowers and snowplows which I thought was SO COOL. As it was said above too, much more talented than I over at FS Dreamteam who created GSX and GSX2 to animate their airports in many ways use SODE and install it automatically into your system. I add SODE objects into all my airports now but to be kind to those who don't want it I am now going to include bgl's for the airport that have default windsocks, beacons and flags that can be selected instead of the SODE bgl. I want to thank "BUSHPILOT" at FSDevelopers for his patient tutorage and correction of me each time I wanted to do something new with SODE and Tom Gibson of CalClassics who created my last SODE airport beacon again at FSDevelopers. As an example: The beacon is custom from a model that I created from a tech sheet of the actual beacon at KEYF Elizabethtown NC Airport which is 1/4 the size of the stock default beacon in FSX. The SODE code has the beacon off and still during daylight hours; as in real life if the visibility is low because of rain, snow or fog, it is activated and rotating at the proper distance. It is also on and rotating from Dusk to Dawn. FSX ACE's team did this with their code but SODE allows us non-C++ programmers to accomplish fantastic things. I do the same with flags. Windsock are controlled for direction and velocity as well. To do all this requires propgramming in XML according to specific standards but it is so rewarding. Like Hannibal said in A-Team paraphrased: I love it when it all comes together. It is so real. For the user, not developer of the scenery, instructions tell you how to download and install SODE into your system with an installer, not difficult. Then, you place the xml code into its proper area ironically called XML folder. LOL! Likewise, you place the SODE object which is all in a folder into the Simobject folder. That is really all you the user have to do to have a really cool airport with action. My last challenge "thrown down" to the guys over at FSDevelopers was to have a hanger I created that has an open door with a photoreal detailed interior during the daylight hours to at 6:00PM local time when all quit work for the day and go home to "shut the door and lock up" so the hanger door is closed and the lights are out. It was done with two simobjects at the same location but as you the user see it, the hanger door is lowered at 6:00PM. Hanger doors can be animated in the sim different ways, but this one is time controlled. I hope that you have found this long reply interesting and informative. You can reply here or PM me if you would like to ask any questions about SODE. As I said, I am not the "sharpest pencil in the box" when it comes to SODE but I know who to ask for the right answer. Have fun simming. Do you feel a little like this now? I hope not, it's really a lot of fun animating an airport.

So my next question would be?

I have my FSX installed on separate drive (G: Drive), do I need to install SODE on that drive with FSX or let the auto install put it where it wants (C: Drive)?

TSquare

Somebody Else

I have my FSX installed on separate drive (G: Drive), do I need to install SODE on that drive with FSX or let the auto install put it where it wants (C: Drive)?

TSquare
    If you never visit there...I will ask the question in the SODE thread at FSDevelopers because I do not know the answer to that and don't want you to mess up anything. Wait for them to get back to me and I will post the answer here for everyone who has the same setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwind View Post
    SODE= Sliced Off Dog Ears. Korean delicacy you dip in Gochujang. Eats good.
    I remember going to a Kentucky Fried Chicken while I was stationed on Okinawa. I never saw chicken parts that looked quite like that and walked out before ordering. Common sense rules in my book!

TSquare
    It's a little difficult.

Let me explain the basic installing:

1. You have to do the first installing of SODE automatically. This will install SODE into your Programme(x86) folder. This is needed to run all needed programme functions automatically and accurate.
    2. Furthermore, after the installation, you will find another SODE folder inside your ProgramData folder (12bpilot\SODE). It contains several subfolders which should NOT be modified in any way because there inside, you (or addon scenery programmes automatically) add their animations, seasons etc. right inside these subfolders.
    I haven't use it for longer now, but I think inside the installing process, you can alter some paths for SODE to run properly. So it may be possible to run SODE from other drives of your choice.
    Best regards, Manfred.

First Time In the Far East

Quote Originally Posted by googenstein View Post
    I remember going to a Kentucky Fried Chicken while I was stationed on Okinawa. I never saw chicken parts that looked quite like that and walked out before ordering. Common sense rules in my book!
    I know what you mean. When we arrived in Subic Bay in 1968 I went down to the pier to the food truck figured it was safe to eat which is true BUT some kind of meatloaf on two pieces of white bread called a "hamburger".

Blog Entries
    Sorry it’s my belief I shouldn’t have tainted this thread as it’s off topic and it’s all on me not you guys so I’m not going to keep replying here I just wanted to apologize to the poster needing help. Yes hamburger in SE Asia has a different taste with the meat but I had no trouble myself eating it but I know people who couldn’t. Once again I apologize and I’ll give back your thread.

I agree; SODE and GSX are great addons but need a little patience in learning their use.

However there is a LOT of on line support to get started.

Once you learn to set up just one parking spot with a jetway and ground equipment it is a real hoot to see it in action with a tubeliner in place.

Learning to use any addon usually takes some patience but they really expand one's horizons and enjoyment

Members who have read this thread: 1