Virtavia AJ-2 Savage is out! - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Virtavia AJ-2 Savage is out!

Blog Entries

Hi Cees...

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I can do all that Carlos, I just want to know if I used too much shine or made the rivets too articulate. That kind of stuff! People who have the plane can get a download link to see if they like it or tell me what they want to have changed.

Cees
    Ok... IF I WERE DOING THE REPAINT... (caveat emptor... obviously each one has his/her own likes and dislikes)... I would be doing it in layers... so... 1. The "weathering and wear" layer would be done very faintly.. to
    avoid a muddy look... you can do that by manipulating the OPACITY of the layer.... 2. I noticed that the extended bmp textures on the ZIP files look rather flat... This can be remedied by adding some volume ... again very faint (manipulating
    OPACITY and using Gaussian blurs... slight darkening of the lower side of the fuselage... slight shine to the top part... (two different layers) and adding a center shine to obtain an overall cylindrical volumetric look...(third layer) when you
    are satisfied with it... merge all three layers and then manipulate overall opacity to obtain a "photo-like finish" paint look...
    (this is how I do it... there are many other ways...) In sum... the dynamic shine (i.e. computer generated) seems to be too much... on the pics you showed... and weathering on the bmps (opened and looked at them) too heavy...
    One of those cases where "a little bit" goes a longer way...

Use an airbrush... a the lowest HARD setting...diffuse and less opaque... you can always ADD more.. I do it sort of the way I did anesthesia when I was in practice... ONE CAN ALWAYS ADD A LITTLE MORE... TOO HEAVY and the SH.T HITS THE FAN... LOL

(I have a tutorial on adding volume in my FS2004 thread when I was helping GIUS... check it out) (you obtain a look that .. I think... comes close to some of those 3D renditions like Matt Wynn does) with a lot less work...
    Check it out..

Cheers,
    Carlos...

Thanks for the suggesstions Carlos. But I always look in the sim how credible a repaint looks, not judging by the texture itself, as that leaves another impression, often not a very good one IMHO. The cooperation with the bumps and the specular files gives other results than foreseen in the flat textures on their own. That's why I post these files here for owners of the Savage to evaluate them on the model. I must have done something when there are bmp's in the files, I meant to upload dds files as is common in FSX?

Cees

Blog Entries

Unfortunately...I don't own the Savage...

Thanks for the suggesstions Carlos. But I always look in the sim how credible a repaint looks, not judging by the texture itself, as that leaves another impression, often not a very good one IMHO. The cooperation with the bumps and the specular files gives other results than foreseen in the flat textures on their own. That's why I post these files here for owners of the Savage to evaluate them on the model. I must have done something when there are bmp's in the files, I meant to upload dds files as is common in FSX?

Cees
    My impressions were guided by the "screenies" you posted NOT the files... I just looked them over to see what improvements could be done in the base work...
    In other words... IF THE ORIGINAL WEATHERING IS VERY OPAQUE in the base textures... ANY amount of "corrective" actions will add to that MUDDY look I
    see in the final "screenies"... The files are DDS... but the original work has to OBVIOUSLY been done in bmp.. unless you have discovered a method to work
    on DDS designs... lol.. I mean... to get a "realistic" finish...AS FAR AS MY POOR KNOWLEDGE STANDS... the best way is extended bmp work in layers...
    I don't think there is a way to do layer work in DDS or the paint program to do it with... CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG...
    So in sum... working weathering... chips, etc. in a separate layer WHOSE RELATIVE OPACITY can be manipulated... WILL GET RID OF THAT MUDDY LOOK...
    Also, detail work like rivets, etc. SO, in the FINAL FLAT DDS saving.. it will ALL harmonize... NOT TOO MUCH OF THIS... NOT TO LITTLE OF THAT..
    (like super nitid rivets... in a weathered finish... DO NOT CORRESPOND TO REALITY... i.e.: WHAT oxidation and color changes operate with wear and weather affects details
    as much as skins... a heavily weathered skin DOES NOT GO with extra sharp rivets... ) to get that much sought "realistic" finish..
    [ which in the final analysis leads to... IF ONE WANTS A REALISTIC FINISH... NOTHING BETTER THAT A PHOTOGRAPH... LOL]
    The same applies to those "rivet counting" comments about exact RLM colors... WITH WEAR.. no two aircraft show the same factory color... i.e: weather not only affects
    opacity BUT ALSO.. tints.. saturation.. etc.
    I KNOW FROM MY WORK... that it is NICER to receive KUDOS than criticism... My first impression when someone points out MY errors or mishaps... is often negative
    but in the end.. I KNOW it makes me SEEK to do a better job the next time... so I ignore that feeling of disappointment and try to find the positive in the comments...
    My comments are based on stuff I learned through TRIAL AND ERROR... ESPECIALLY ERROR... LOL... and I know I STILL HAVE A LONG WAYS TO GO TO DO MUCH BETTER WORK...
    Hope you take the comments for what they are... an effort to improve things...

Cheers,
    Carlos

Good morning! Thanks for your support and work Gordon!

A question for all the effects and gauge guru's. How difficult is it to turn this lady into a water bomber? Is there a gauge or effect that has to be added? Would be nice with this most recent skin.

Cees
    You might have a look at this effect: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ant_Effect-zip

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    You might have a look at this effect: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ant_Effect-zip
    Thanks Frank!

Cees

So, Gman, did you ever release those beautiful textures for the AJ? If so where can I get them. And which engine file did you use for the radials? They sound great in your vid.

Also, I am in the process of updating the FDE, not that there was a problem with the original. But sometimes I go back to previous work I've done and just don't like the way they fly. Quirky habit.

If I get it to fly right and feel like there was an improvement, I will post the file here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    So, Gman, did you ever release those beautiful textures for the AJ? If so where can I get them. And which engine file did you use for the radials? They sound great in your vid.

Also, I am in the process of updating the FDE, not that there was a problem with the original. But sometimes I go back to previous work I've done and just don't like the way they fly. Quirky habit.

If I get it to fly right and feel like there was an improvement, I will post the file here.
    I'll be the first to admit that I tackle too many projects at once. lol

Sure, I've got the skins and can post those up. Hey...when you get that FDE updated I'd like to have a look at that. Look for those skins tomorrow AM...Pacific time.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Thank you Sir!

Blog Entries
    Thank you Sir!
    You are welcome Sir!

OK...I uploaded the skins and mods for the PK. It should get approval from admin today, just watch the home page for it. Any questions, just bump me here or PM me.

Thanks for a great airplane...I've probably flown more traps with this than any of my others.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    You are welcome Sir!

OK...I uploaded the skins and mods for the PK. It should get approval from admin today, just watch the home page for it. Any questions, just bump me here or PM me.

Thanks for a great airplane...I've probably flown more traps with this than any of my others.
    Just spotted it. Thank you very much!

Available now in the Avsim Library.

Search for the following file:

aj-2_savage_fsx_luftwaffe_pack.zip

TEXTURES ONLY....

This is an update to my previously released individual Luftwaffe repaints. I have combined all the repaints into one package for your convenience. If you have previously installed one of my repaints, please delete those texture folders, and the related entries in the aircraft.cfg, and then install the updated ones contained within this package. I have made some minor tweaks to all of the repaints, created bump mapping files for the rivets, etc.. Also, there are two new Luftwaffe repaints contained in this package that were not previously released.

These are my last repaints, and I wanted to have some real fun with these. The wrong time period, the wrong side of the pond, faux gun ports, faux speed breaks, big rivets, etc., yeah I had some fun with these repaints. They are all about 90% finished, and could use a lot more spit and polish, but it's just time to put down my paint brushes for good, and move on. I will still have some time on the weekends to fly for a couple of hours, so I will still be hanging around this forum, but no more repaints.

Thanks,

Tommy

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

The Savage with swastikas on the tail? Yikes.

The Savage with swastikas on the tail? Yikes.
    I got the idea from photos of captured Allied aircraft from World War II. This aircraft had a Luftwaffe look to it in any case, so I thought, why not.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
    I got the idea from photos of captured Allied aircraft from World War II. This aircraft had a Luftwaffe look to it in any case, so I thought, why not.

Tommy
    An interesting twist. Thanks for sharing them.

I was'nt sure at first when i opened this thread, but the first camo scheme kind-off works for me

Makes me think of Wolfenstein!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    I was'nt sure at first when i opened this thread, but the first camo scheme kind-off works for me
    Yep, hopefully something for everyone......

I like the fourth one, the winter camo.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Available now in the Avsim Library....

aj-2_savage_fsx_polish_pack.zip

TEXTURES ONLY....

There doesn't seem to be to much Polish stuff in regards to paints / repaints. Maybe because most (but not all) of their aircraft tend to be very austere with little or no unit markings at all making it a boring subject? In any case, the premise for these repaints is the capture and re-purposing of aircraft during or after the war by the opposing side. It would make sense that the Polish Air Force might re-purpose a captured or abandoned Luftwaffe aircraft if the opportunity presented itself. Thus, these repaints carry the fictitious faux gun ports, faux speed breaks, big rivets, etc. of my Luftwaffe repaints. The two repaints below are the only ones contained in the Polish Pack, as the other Luftwaffe repaints did seem to lend themselves to the look that I was after.

Thanks,

Tommy

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

aj-2_savage_fsx_polish_pack_2.zip

TEXTURES ONLY....

These repaints compliment my previously released Polish Pack. I have added a slightly more weather beaten version with metal patch panels, and a different aircraft number on the nose. This allows for a more realistic looking 2 ship formation for those of us who prefer to have someone else tagging along.

Now it's REALLY time to put down my paint brushes for good, and move on and have some fun flying these things!......

Photoshop program deleted from hard drive...CHECK!
    All PSD repaint files (from the last 10+ years) deleted from hard drive...CHECK!

So there is no going back now, even if I want to.

Thanks,

Tommy

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

virtavia_aj-2_savage_mbpk_v1.0.zip

TEXTURES ONLY....

OK!

So, I temporarily came out of painting retirement for one last truly ridiculous repaint! It is loosely based on one of the pens in my friend's pen collection. He did not ask for this, but he was more than elated when he first saw it up and running in his flight simulator. Now I can truly rest in peace from repainting!

Tommy

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

My friend asked me if I could freshen up the default slightly worn red leather seats a bit. BAHHHHHH! I figured I might a well upgrade the seat covers to match the the rest of the ridiculous MBPK corporate theme. So voila, plush crushed velvet seats. Your choice of Gold, Blue, Green, and Purple. I like the Gold.

virtavia_aj-2_savage_mbpk_seats_v1.0.zip

Tommy

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

virtavia_aj-2_savage_polish_tug_v1.0.zip

TEXTURES ONLY....

My friend manage to salvage this repaint from one of his old abandoned hard drives. I did this one for him years ago, and it's nice to see that it wasn't lost to the ages. This repaint is fictitious, and very loosely based on photos of an abandoned and deteriorated Eastern Bloc aerial target tug that my friend noticed sitting in the weeds of an abondoned air field.

Tommy

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Well, here are some alternate propeller safety line color schemes for my MBPK repaint to brighten up your day! A very very subtle update indeed. The original solid red color seemed to be a safe bet, but also seems a bit underwhelming in retrospect.

virtavia_aj-2_savage_mbpk_prop_line_v1.0.zip

This is REALLY the last of it! I have nothing else I want to add the MBPK repaint or any other aircraft for that matter. I'm having a blast just flying the AJ-2 Savage now.

My first repaints were done with the help of "Banana Bob" Rivera. Special thanks to
    "Banana Bob" Rivera and all the other painters / skinners who were so willing to mentor me and many others along the way.

My entire family is getting up there in age, so I find that my personal time has been greatly reduced. I will sneak in some flying whenever time permits, but my focus moving forward will be on my acoustic guitars that have sat idle for too many years.

Thanks!

Tommy

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510