Essex Class Carrier US Navy modification SCB-27A and SCB-27C
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Essex Class Carrier US Navy modification SCB-27A and SCB-27C

Essex Class Carrier US Navy modification SCB-27A and SCB-27C

My next attempt with the Essex-class carriers will be the modifications of the SCB-27A and SCB-27C series.
    I find both versions very exciting, because quite a lot has changed compared to the Essex class of the WWII.
    In particular, the bridge island, the armament and also the side attachments to the carrier body have undergone many modifications.
    On the carriers of the SCB-27C modification the rear elevator was moved to the outside of the ship.

I will try to create all ships of this modification series and then equip them with different deck layouts.

The whole thing is already quite advanced.

Here are some pictures of the ships.

SCB-27C modification for the CVA-11 Intrepid SCB-27C

I think it will not take too long to get these ships ready.

greetings
    Klaus

And the SCB-27A modifications. Here some pictures of USS Yorktown CVA-10

SCB-27A modification for the CVA-10 USS Yorktown

greetings
    Klaus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    And the SCB-27A modifications. Here some pictures of USS Yorktown CVA-10

SCB-27A modification for the CVA-10 USS Yorktown

greetings
    Klaus
    Absolutely fantastic.

The entire decade has been so overlooked in FSX. The late 50s is virtually non existent from the USN flyable aircraft, AI early angled deck carrier, AI aircraft, and scenery point of view. But at least it’s nice to see the last vestiges of straight-deck fixed wing naval aviation getting a nice update. Just awesome.

Thanks so much.

DL

Rally looking forward to putting down some Panthers and Banshees
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Fantastic additions Klaus! I am a big Essex class (straight and angled deck) fan!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Fantastic Job

Thank you so much for all the work you do for the Navy Carrier lovers here. I was just talking with Mick today in a PM where he said he was looking for one of these. I just by accident found Paul Clawson's FJ-3 Fury a few days ago that will go perfect with one of these as well as a few other Korean War and post War 1950's era jets. Keep up the good work...subscribing to this thread.

One of the things that needs to be changed is the mast on the bridge. The radar and antenna systems looked
    usually still different in the years 1950-1960. Will change that over the next days.

greetings
    Klaus

Another thing to change are the gun sides for 4 guns on the right side of the ships. On the left side they are ok... on the right side i have to build them up. Just missing till now.

greetings
    Klaus

SCB-27C modification for the CVA-11 Intrepid with new modeld antennas and gun-islands on the right side. Color of deck numbers changed to a light washed yellow... as they had been in the 1950th.

SCB-27A modification is also done yet.

Next step will be the angle of wings from the F9-F Panther. Following work will placed on other planes like the Aj1-Savage and the F7U-Cutless. Then all texturing for the different carriers of this class must be done...

greetings
    Klaus

Empty Deck

Will you have the ability to have an empty deck without parked aircraft on it, as beautiful as they are done?

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Will you have the ability to have an empty deck without parked aircraft on it, as beautiful as they are done?
    Yes. There will be an empty deck version inside the package. You also will get all aircraft models. On this way you can build up your own deck layout.

geetings
    Klaus

Yes. There will be an empty deck version inside the package. You also will get all aircraft models. On this way you can build up your own deck layout.
    Klaus, you have answered the only question I had about these ships. Being able to add the aircraft parking groups to the clear-deck ship model is a great idea. The user can put them where he wants.

Thank You

That is super. Looking forward to these so much. Thank you for all your efforts and sharing them.

Blog Entries
    Those renders look great, Klaus!

One simple suggestion I'd make is around the H-5 plane guard helicopter. On the earlier release from a couple of weeks ago, you "hard-coded" it into the base ship model. Is there a way you can make the helicopter it's own "ship"?

That would allow the user to locate it (or multiple units) wherever they want. So for example, in some conditions (launch), the plane guard might have sat off the port side, but in fact more commonly, it would fly off the starboard side. Where it sits now creates a bit of interference for the over-the-boat right-hand "break" during the flyover.

And for a multi-carrier task force, it would enable multiple placements. I have the original H-5, so I could simply add it, but other, newer users mightn't have that model, so it being a separate "ship" would solve all those use cases.

The extra flexibility would be appreciated. And again, thanks - these are hands down superb models. I should add that even with the extra static planes on deck, the impact to my FPS is almost indiscernible - and that's on a medium-level spec. So you've done a great job of optimizing detail against performance - good job!!

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Those renders look great, Klaus!

One simple suggestion I'd make is around the H-5 plane guard helicopter. On the earlier release from a couple of weeks ago, you "hard-coded" it into the base ship model. Is there a way you can make the helicopter it's own "ship"?

dl
    I agree, The H-5 would look more period correct. Too bad hover control is gone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I agree, The H-5 would look more period correct. Too bad hover control is gone.
    His included helicopter plane guard model is the H-5. So far as I can tell, it's the FS2002 model that's been successively ported/converted multiple times, including by Lazarus. I have a copy with with RN, RCN, and USN paints - been using it for years for all my 50s era carriers - and it looks identical to the one Klaus included, save possibly a number change on the paint. So I believe the helicopter model itself is fine.

My point was a suggestion to not hard code it to the ship model, but leave it as it's own "ship", to be added to this or any other formation independently.

dl

His included helicopter plane guard model is the H-5. So far as I can tell, it's the FS2002 model that's been successively ported/converted multiple times, including by Lazarus. I have a copy with with RN, RCN, and USN paints - been using it for years for all my 50s era carriers - and it looks identical to the one Klaus included, save possibly a number change on the paint. So I believe the helicopter model itself is fine.

My point was a suggestion to not hard code it to the ship model, but leave it as it's own "ship", to be added to this or any other formation independently.

dl
    That will be no problem. The set of carriers will also come with an empty deck version (without any planes). In this version there will be no helicopter in the air. You will get all the aircraft models that you can see right now (and the nex different planes for other deck configuration) seperatly with this carriers. No problem to put them to all places you want.... i use ModelConverterX for this duty.
    The crew is done in one peace till now....if i delete the deckcrew there will be no crew on the bridge an no crew at the sides of the ship. Will have a look to change this later.

And here some new shots with F9-F Panther wings up in right position. Some of these planes are without pilots now. Was not very realistic that every plane on deck has his pilot in cockpit.

greetings
    Klaus

Looking good Klaus. Can I ask what F9-F Panther you used for the model and where to get it. I'd like to redo the textures for it
    but have no clue which one is used. Thanks

Edit. If I would read the read-me I would have found the answer.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Carrier with empty decks (no aircraft) with and without crew.

The panther in use is a very old one i got long time ago..... found it by search some minutes ago on this side https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=F9F&categoryId=&page=1&fi lename=

FSX Grumman F9F-5 Panther Package, (Category: FSX > Military)

Zip file preview
    1.94Mb (7246 downloads)

Hope that will help. All textures from this model i converted to .dds (dtx5 format)

greetings
    Klaus

Great Job

Klaus the carriers are fantastic and your cooperation with us making changes and adding changes is really nice. Thank you again. Looking forward to this and flying off early Stoof's and others. With aircraft on deck my memories serve me after way too many years, we only had pilots in the "READY CAP" which were aircraft on deck for protection against air threats that could launch in 5 Minutes.

Blog Entries
    That will be no problem. The set of carriers will also come with an empty deck version (without any planes). In this version there will be no helicopter in the air. You will get all the aircraft models that you can see right now (and the nex different planes for other deck configuration) seperatly with this carriers. No problem to put them to all places you want.... i use ModelConverterX for this duty.
    The crew is done in one peace till now....if i delete the deckcrew there will be no crew on the bridge an no crew at the sides of the ship. Will have a look to change this later.

And here some new shots with F9-F Panther wings up in right position. Some of these planes are without pilots now. Was not very realistic that every plane on deck has his pilot in cockpit.

greetings
    Klaus

Awesome - nice touch with the mixed (occupied / vacant) cockpits. The folded wings look good too. Those are the details that help make the carrier experience come to life.

Regarding the full-deck version, will it have the helicopter "hard code" or separate? Because I'll use it likely the most, and would still like to place the helicopter wherever I'd like, likely on the starboard side, etc. I will use the empty deck from time to time, but these days, I really prefer the full deck, and with all the crew details you're putting into it, even more so.

Many thanks!

dl

Lovely work -

a bit of insight into the F9F Panther and its wing fold angle. The tip tanks had to be gravity fueled by hand. They had a special GSE ladder that attached to the top of the wing so a refueling "grape" could carry a hose nozzle up to the filler cap to fill the tank. Long live pressure fueling!

Just wondering if Uss lake Champlain CVS-39 was on the hit list as it was the last straight deck carrier in the US navy and the only carrier to have the scb-27A but not scb-125. Would also give us a place to fly Milton's s2 tracker from. BTW love what you've done so far I'm currently working on Collins Colossus class as commando carrier circa 1956 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USS_Lake_Champlain_(CVS-39)_underway_in_February_1965_(USN_1114106).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	70584

Here's a really good site to check out

If you wonder what Carrier Airwings were on what carriers 1948-1963 check this out. (Other Times too)

http://www.wings-aviation.ch/24-Nava...8-Basis-de.htm

Regarding the full-deck version, will it have the helicopter "hard code" or separate? Because I'll use it likely the most, and would still like to place the helicopter wherever I'd like, likely on the starboard side, etc.
    Simple answer to that. You can take the version empty deck with crew and place every aircraft (or helicopter) you want at every place you want by using ModelConverterX. All plane and helicopter will be seperatly in the complet package.

Did new aircraft tonight and (as sample) a new deck layout.

Vought F7U Cutlass (also models with or without pilot)

Next step will be a short run in FSX and then i will try to make a night texturing for the ships (hate to do texturing, because i`m a stupid beginner in that.... )

greetings
    Klaus

Members who have read this thread: 3