MV22B Rel1.0 released - Page 26
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 161819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: MV22B Rel1.0 released

but are the Marine Corps range standards so vastly different than the Army, Navy or Air Force ranges?
    I don't know what was there first, the Rifle Range or 2nd LAAMB. I suspect they put the LAAMB where they did because it was the only place in-range of the base they had available to them. I also suspect the RR was there before LAAMB. It's OLD. MCAS was an Army base before it was given to the Corps for an MCAS, and that the RR was an Army range before the Corps took over. Since the Corps requires a 1km range, with 200m, 300m, 500m, and 1000m firing lines, I suspect they left it where it was, not having any place else in a reasonable distance around the base available.
    I don't know much about the other services, but I don't believe they shoot at the ranges the Marines do, so I believe their ranges are somewhat shorter overall, and probably have higher berms in the butts, relative to range length. The Navy has it easy. They just put to sea a few miles, and they can turn loose without any concerns. They have unobstructed views to the horizon all around them.

Also, you are absolutely right. Short bursts are a vastly better method of automatic weapons utilization. Having said that, almost invariably, you get a shooter that freezes on the trigger their first time on full auto, emptying the magazine or belt towords the butts. And their muzzle climbs, every time. This was back before the 3 round burst capability developed in the M16A2. All we had were the M16A1, and they were all older than dirt. Sometimes, the sear would break, and no matter what the shooter did, the weapon would empty. You should have seen the failures we had with the pistols and shotguns!
    We would try to teach them the proper way to hold the weapon for full auto, but you know as well as I do that every Marine thinks they're John Wayne, walking along firing a .50cal M2 from the hip, in their minds, at least. That's why we kept the first few mags and belts down. 10 rounds in the magazines, 20 round belts for the M60's.
    All of them had also qualed with the M16A1, on slow fire only, no auto-fire training back them, at least once in boot camp, and once once they got to Yuma, so every one of them "knew how the thing kicks". In their minds at least. No matter how much instruction we gave them, they would never lean into the recoil properly. Their grip would be wrong, they wouldn't sight correctly, the list is endless. The exceptions, naturally, were the former grunts that had cross-decked to the airwing. THEY got automatic weapons training in ITS, right out of boot camp. We could qual them easily.
    All these reasons are why we were out there. To teach them the proper way to utilize the weapons, and what to do in the event of a failure or stoppage.
    Sadly, we invariably got a few rounds go over the berm in the butts, and 2nd LAAMB was at the perfect range to catch them. They didn't get every over-shoot, just a round or two, and they always called and let us know immediately if they took fire. Oddly, they could get pretty hostile

Finally, Yuma being what and where it is, there are always people hiking around out in the desert, shooting at "stuff" just for the fun of it. Them we had no control over, and they don't always check the down-range for possible humans when they go out shooting. All we could do was see if the Sheriff's Dept or the Border Patrol had anyone they could send down the line the rounds would impact along, to try and find, and stop, the hikers from shooting that direction. Usually, they were long gone by the time we got someone out that way. The Mexican border is right there, as well, and while the hikers didn't usually pay much attention to it, the Sheriff and Border Patrol did.

I just realized how long I'm running. I apologize to all. I was just trying to explain the why's and wherefores of what went on.
    Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Light Anti Aircraft Missile Battery. Yuma put theirs, 2nd LAAMB, in a really bad place. They are off the end of Yuma's Rifle Range. They take bullets all the time.
    We needed to qual the guards for the restricted area on base, called MUWU, with automatic weapons, sometimes they get a little excited and hold the trigger too long. Muzzle climbs till the rounds go over the berm at the end of the rifle range and land, yup at 2nd LAAMB's area. They never hold the weapons right for full auto fire either. No muzzle control. Big difference between slow fire and fully automatic fire. And that's why we have to qual them. Teach them to control an M60 or M16 properly. The Ma Deuce is always mounted, so controlling it's not as much of a problem, believe it or not.

I strongly suspect Klamath has a LAAMB too, although I have no proof...
    If not, I am certain there's a site prepped for them.
    Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Pat,

Interesting to hear about the LAAMBs. Maybe they should be used to a few rounds coming in? Good practice for enemy fire!

Having fun, practising picking up and delivering loads with the MV-22. Last attempt was going well till I changed the view while in Spot - the load immediately flew off... Then I got the dreaded 'Broken' signal on the Down Camera window. Try as I might I can't remember how to get rid of it. Tried Shift-J & Ctrl-U but of course they did nothing.

What's the secret? Do I have to land? Or reload the A/C? Or just go out of Hover Hold?

Cheers,

Mark

Try as I might I can't remember how to get rid of it. Tried Shift-J & Ctrl-U but of course they did nothing.

What's the secret? Do I have to land? Or reload the A/C? Or just go out of Hover Hold?
    Hey Mark!
    Happy New Year

As to getting rid of the message, I believe you need to either get rid of the currently loaded loads, if that makes sense, or close AICarriers and re-open it. To get rid of the loaded loads, hit SHFT+J, and with a boat or sling load active, the page you get should get starts out with 1. Forward, 2. Turn right 10°, etc. Choice 8 on that page is the one you want. I think it is Remove Entry, or something like that.
    Then you need to fly back to your chosen starting point, place the desired sling load(s) again, as when you started out, and you should be able to hook up again.
    At worst, closing AICarriers and re-starting it will do the trick. You can then go back to the place you chose to pick the load up from, place the chose load(s) again, etc.

I'll do a flight later on to verify I have it right, but I'm pretty sure that's the "trick".
    Hope this helps! Enjoy
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Ok, disregard my last.
    I thought an AICarriers reset would solve the trouble, but I was mistaken. You do need to reload the aircraft, after all. Best way I've found is to map a joystick button to the Reload User Aircraft function that FSX has. Of course, you can also load up a totally different aircraft, and then reload the Osprey, or completely end the flight, and start it over.
    If you choose to use the Reload Aircraft feature, bear in mind you must have all, and I mean ALL AI traffic turned off. No AI of any kind. No planes, Ground vehicles, ships, nothing. Having AI traffic loaded can cause the desired plane's config files to not read correctly. Or at all.

Sorry I was mistaken previously. I've been doing some Beta testing for the FSDT FSX BA team. But I tried a flight with the Osprey today. Got a load hoisted up to 20' below the plane. I flew a little ways down the runway and made enough of a wobble to break the load away, and then closed and restarted AIC. No joy. Reloaded the bird, and it was cleared.

Hope this answers you query
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Ok, disregard my last.
    I thought an AICarriers reset would solve the trouble, but I was mistaken. You do need to reload the aircraft, after all. Best way I've found is to map a joystick button to the Reload User Aircraft function that FSX has. Of course, you can also load up a totally different aircraft, and then reload the Osprey, or completely end the flight, and start it over.
    If you choose to use the Reload Aircraft feature, bear in mind you must have all, and I mean ALL AI traffic turned off. No AI of any kind. No planes, Ground vehicles, ships, nothing. Having AI traffic loaded can cause the desired plane's config files to not read correctly. Or at all.

Sorry I was mistaken previously. I've been doing some Beta testing for the FSDT FSX BA team. But I tried a flight with the Osprey today. Got a load hoisted up to 20' below the plane. I flew a little ways down the runway and made enough of a wobble to break the load away, and then closed and restarted AIC. No joy. Reloaded the bird, and it was cleared.

Hope this answers you query
    Pat☺
    And a very Happy New Year to you too, Pat!

Yes, it needed the MV-22 to be reloaded as you say. I discovered this myself after trying everything else I could think of. Finally, in desperation, I reloaded and the message went away.

But it it made me think: Surely, in real life, they have some way of fixing things if the cable breaks? I'd be surprised if they can't re-attach a hook to the cable without landing and having the mechanics do it for them. No spare hooks onboard?

Perhaps Rob Barendregt could make it work? Of course, I'm probably quite wrong about this!

I didn't know about the interference between AI Traffic and a reload. Probably explains the curious results I've encountered now and then.

Cheers,

Mark

Surely, in real life, they have some way of fixing things if the cable breaks? I'd be surprised if they can't re-attach a hook to the cable without landing and having the mechanics do it for them. No spare hooks onboard?
    No, no spare hooks aboard. Putting a hook on requires some pretty complex cable re-weaving, and if you've ever tried to weave a braided steel cable...
    Pretty much an operation for the manufacturer, not even I-Level could do it.
    Besides, gone are the day I-Level maintenance meant component level repair. Now it is pretty much just verify O-Level's troubleshooting, and BCM the item, and get a new one from supply.
    I am pretty certain they have to draw a whole new cable out of supply, and reave it onto the winch properly. Not something you can do aloft. You need a few feet clearance between the winch and who/whatever is paying it out. That's an operation for the ground crew. The crew chief can't stand on air, after all, no matter their opinion of themselves

So yeah, they'd have to RTB for a new cable...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

From the real world, the FSX sling seems weak compared to the pendants used. I'll let you Googles the MV-22 sling load vid, but in the H-60 with a 6k or 8k cargo hook, the real issue would be power available. I've had a cargo hook open on its own during VERTREP (Navy sling loads) with 4x55gal drums, barely missing the Sea Sparrow launcher as it dropped into the Adriatic. Landed on deck, mx checked over the hook and we were cleared to continue with my next load being jet engines! Something I've not noticed in the sim, when you actually pick up a load and see/feel how the aircraft responds. Army sling load training in Iraq, USMC says the training load (a broke Hummer) weighs xxxxxlbs, but you notice all your pre-flight performance is out the door as it doesn't even come close to that, the aircraft strains to pick up the load, torque climbing towards max.

More load models for AIC would be nice to have, like artillery for the heavy lifters like the MV-22, CH-47 and CH-53. I've downloaded a recent sling FSX missions and swap out a proper helo from the stock B206 only to have the cable break! Also the hoist "cable" even after adjusting the snap weight seems weak.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Remember, there's a difference between sling loads and hoist loads. Sling loads, among other differences, can't be raised up and down. You have to hover at the right height above them and hook up to them. Hoist loads, you lower the hook to them, from whatever height above the load you choose, within the limits of the cable's length, of course.
    There are also differences in the aircraft.cfg entries for hoist and sling loads. Same name, different set of lines in each one, though. Also, most of the time, developers either don't include the proper section(s) in the aircraft.cfg file, or they just slap in the default section(s) and call it even. The default entries are made for the B206, I believe, so to add them into the MV-22, they needed a little tuning.
    Look at the entries included in Rob's rcb_MV22B1_Addon4.zip file. You can see the differences from the default entries most developers include, whatever bird they're for. I spent a lot of time tweaking those to try and get them as close as I could to what I thought was about right. At least an approximation of "real".
    I haven't gotten the entry for an actual SLING load right yet, but I am still working on it as best I can. Holidays, family, medical, lots of fun distractions lately
    I am also working on being able to bring a hoist load "aboard" the plane, which will change the aircraft's weight and balance significantly. When a load is on the hoist cable, the weight isn't added to the weight-n-balance, I know. An actual SLING load, however, I believe is, as soon as you hook up to it and start to lift it. Once you get the aircraft.cfg entries right, anyway.

Hope this helps answer your questions
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Maryadi is coming close to releasing V2.0 guys!

Here is a quick video of me flying onto the boat with it:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217050008

Hi,

That's great news! Can't wait!

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Josh/Heater View Post
    Maryadi is coming close to releasing V2.0 guys!

Here is a quick video of me flying onto the boat with it:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217050008
    Hi Josh,

Great video - and nice, accurate flying! I've a long way to go before I can fly the MV-22 as well as you do...

What is the carrier and where can I find the download?

Cheers,

Mark

As they say, GREAT Vid!.

I am not sure, but I suspect that's the stationary boat at North Island, CA.

Now, you really want to impress, go out and land on a moving destroyer. At night. In terrible weather. Y'know, wind, rain, that kinda thing. LOW viz. Pitching deck.
    Seriously, though, well done, truly. Very accurate nacelle control, direction control, speed control. All in all, a big WELL DONE to ya!
    I will be glad when they get a RAST simulated. That'll be wicked!
    I do love that HMD. It looks fantastic.

Heck, the whole bird looks fantastic. A WELL DONE to Maryadi, too
    Really looking forward to it's release.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Yes, great new Rel2 of this bird.
    And for the hoist operations fanatics .... : a.o. animated hoist doors, with a special Camera view looking down through the opened doors observing the hoist operations ...
    Just a few more days patience ...LoL

Cheers, Rob

Not having the original but having watched a few videos and screen shots, has the cockpit been updated? In the last video shown above, it looks like payware quality, very 3D'ish, excellent lighting and gauges. Any chance you can elaborate the differences forthcoming?
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by freded View Post
    Hi Josh,

Great video - and nice, accurate flying! I've a long way to go before I can fly the MV-22 as well as you do...

What is the carrier and where can I find the download?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, it honestly means a lot.
    I feel like a lot of people rush flying it. but if you look at any Marine pilot, they really take their time on approaches to put the aircraft in the right place. I just try to replicate that haha.
    The carrier should be default at KNZY San Diego, check that the Scenery slider is normal or higher i believe.

As they say, GREAT Vid!.

I am not sure, but I suspect that's the stationary boat at North Island, CA.

Now, you really want to impress, go out and land on a moving destroyer. At night. In terrible weather. Y'know, wind, rain, that kinda thing. LOW viz. Pitching deck.
    Seriously, though, well done, truly. Very accurate nacelle control, direction control, speed control. All in all, a big WELL DONE to ya!
    I will be glad when they get a RAST simulated. That'll be wicked!
    I do love that HMD. It looks fantastic.

Heck, the whole bird looks fantastic. A WELL DONE to Maryadi, too
    Really looking forward to it's release.
    Pat☺

Yessir stationed at North Island indeed. I actually wanted to take you up on that challenge, Pat.
    I Did it at night with rain and 16 knot winds, but forgot to get the carrier moving, and dont really know how to make the ship pitch and roll without using a very basic mod I found a long while back (I didnt like it too much so I deleted it). And even then, I failed... quite miserably actually haha. I ran into the back of the ship over the helipad. I have never flown in such conditions- in any aircraft for that matter. I dont know how to navigate well when it comes to maritime ops and I had to check the map several times because the map in the V-22 no longer displays fixes. I also kept my landing lights on which blinded me a little on short final hahaha. All in all it was really fun to do and imma try it again soon.
    I recorded it (btw sorry its so long, I didnt feel like trimming it down too much cause I wanted to get the video out quickly).

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Not having the original but having watched a few videos and screen shots, has the cockpit been updated? In the last video shown above, it looks like payware quality, very 3D'ish, excellent lighting and gauges. Any chance you can elaborate the differences forthcoming?
    Ohhhh yes! Maryadi has completely remodeled and textured the VC, and looks much better. I know I've missed some stuff, so Rob can pitch in with any additional things, but below Ive named off all the stuff that popped in my head first about the new VC.
    The buttons with LED text on them look a lot more realistic (And I thought they looked good beforehand haha, but Maryadi proved me wrong with that). Almost every single button and switch in the VC has been remodeled and are now animated and clickable, although some of them dont have functionality yet. The VC now has wear and tear in it. The green Console panel lights now produce a very nice glow over the panels and MFDs. He made it so you can even see this green glow if you go into an external view and peer into the cockpit.
    One of my favorite new features is you can now control the external lighting on the Center Display Unit (CDU) by clicking the LTS button in the VC keyboard, just under the CDU. THATS an awesome feature.
    I know in my video above its nighttime, but you can still see the difference in quality.

Is the very choppy animation of the spinning props fixed ?

Quote Originally Posted by jymp View Post
    Is the very choppy animation of the spinning props fixed ?
    Although personally I didn't have the problem of "very choppy propspin animation" (caused by unstable framerate) on my PC, this has been re-modelled in Rel2.
    But if you had that problem with Rel1 on your PC: Yes, fixed in Rel2.

Rob

Impressive, Josh!
    Not an easy landing to make, no question. I'd feel lucky to catch A wire, ANY wire, let alone a 3-Wire, in the F-18 I love so much under those conditions. I can see I need to wait, not easy let me say, for the Rel2 before I try it with the MV-22! Going to be a huge challenge. One I can see you took up, and did very well at. To borrow a Top Gun phrase, you did great, right up to the point where you died
    Keep up the great work you're doing. You are teasing us!

Rob,
    I am glad to hear about the hoist ops update! A question, if I may: Will the view out (down?) the doors be a pop-up, instead of a full-screen window? I am not sure I want to leave the cockpit, no mater how good the hover capability, to perform hoist ops.
    Just wondering

Looking wonderful overall, Maryadi! Thank you very much for you amazing efforts on this bird!

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Love the new lighting, especially the tip lights, haven't seen those since the CH-46. All USN/NATO ships do have published wind limits based on speed and direction, wind out of limits get the CO to turn or no landing. I would suggest flying the night approaches on NVGs without lights. One of many reasons to switch to P3D, but EO/IR system modelling is a big one. I wish I can get all my FSX aircraft that carry a pod or ball to work like that. Nice vid!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

[QUOTE=rcbarend;1120699]Although personally I didn't have the problem of "very choppy propspin animation" (caused by unstable framerate) on my PC, this has been re-modelled in Rel2.

Cool, read where that could be caused by not enough transparency while rotors were spinning ?

[QUOTE=jymp;1120743]
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Although personally I didn't have the problem of "very choppy propspin animation" (caused by unstable framerate) on my PC, this has been re-modelled in Rel2.

Cool, read where that could be caused by not enough transparency while rotors were spinning ?
    I use to have choppy protrotors as i have a slow pc, around 15 frames usually. I can confirm that the choppy issue with slow framerate has been fixed, and the rotors now spin quite smoothly

As for transparency of the blades, as far as I know, that has nothing to do with the animation and how its handled. The MV-22s blades in real life are very "non-transparent" (if that makes sense).

Because I live next to MCAS Miramar, Ive had the opportunity of seeing this aircraft fly multiple times, and the best way I can compare the proprotors and what they look like when they are spinning is with this video. I quickly found this vid with a youtube search, but it does compare quite well to what the proprotors look like with my own eyes.

https://youtu.be/-NbecvXB2Xk?t=1m13s

Update: I just noticed that the video I posted was the exact air show day that I went to last year, and still remember watching this demo from my memory.

Rob,
    I am glad to hear about the hoist ops update! A question, if I may: Will the view out (down?) the doors be a pop-up, instead of a full-screen window? I am not sure I want to leave the cockpit, no mater how good the hover capability, to perform hoist ops.
    Hi Pat,

The new Camera view for Hoist operations is just a properly located FSX/P3D camera view (a Camera positioned above the newly-animated Hoist doors, looking down).
    So you can simply open a new (second) window via the View-NewView menu. Like any other Camera view.

In my new Rel2 addon, I will also incorperate all the shipdata (VMR-sizes) you created and sent me last year.
    So if you have any more since then, just mail it to me and I'll add them too in my gauge.

As to Hoist operations:
    I just discovered a new trick to avoid the dreaded "broken cable" problem when flying around with an object attached to the hoist cable.
    - When the object is attached, just hoist it fully up and load it "into" the aircraft with "Hoist/Sling (Attach/Release)" command (default key: 'O'). So it's added to the payload.
    - Then fly towards the destination, at any speed with whatever maneuvering.
    - When near the destination, reduce speed, go into VTOL config and wait until the aircraft hovers again at very low airspeed.
    - Then "extract" the object with another 'O' command (so it's visible on the hook again), lower it, and release it when it's on the ground.

Of course, it's a bit cheating if your "object" is much larger in size then the V22 itself ..LoL ..; but at least it works, without the risk of a "broken cable" during transport flight.

Cheers, Rob

Yup! You need to add some sort of weight-n-balance, Station _LoadX= entry, and then set the correct station in the [slingX] section for the hoist to make this work. I thought I had those things added to the sling entries I sent to you. If I didn't, let me know, and I'll take care of it. Once you get all that, and deposit the load into the fuselage, it will add the weight to the location you specify in the station_loadX= entry. Of course, this changes the plane's overall W&B, so the station_load entry needs to be in the correct location. I think I set mine for just inside the ramp at the rear. It makes sense, since it's not very likely you'll slip a pallet up into the plane through a pair of small sling cable doors on the bottom of the bird
    Naturally, with the REL2, I don't know the proper coordinates to do this, for the correct Station_LoadX= entry, so I'll have to wait until it's released. It might be an idea to have this entry already in the W&B section when the plane is released, but it's not essential. Same with the [Exits] section. It's be real nice to have the correct entry for the sling cable doors, but again, not critical. I can get it all once the plane is released
    All this stuff is inter-related. The [slingX], W&B, and [Exits] sections, all relate to one another, so it can be a little head-ache to set up. But not a big headache. Just a tiny one I can take care of it, if y'all want.
    Thanks for the answer, Rob.

I haven't added any more ships. As they're released, I will try to keep up. CIMOGT releases ships faster than I can think, but hey, good for him. I know he just released 4 German Navy packages. I'll try to get them added in to the correct file and send it to asap, but I am practicing for the RTWR with the SOH team, which takes a lot of my time. All depends on y'all's priorities. I would very much being a small part of the SOH team this year (I doubt Flightsim will have one at all), but I can work on helping with the REL2, if you all prefer. Just let me know.

Till then, have fun! Either way, I certainly am.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Haze Gray Studios ships?

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Hi Pat,

The new Camera view for Hoist operations is just a properly located FSX/P3D camera view (a Camera positioned above the newly-animated Hoist doors, looking down).
    So you can simply open a new (second) window via the View-NewView menu. Like any other Camera view.

In my new Rel2 addon, I will also incorperate all the shipdata (VMR-sizes) you created and sent me last year.
    So if you have any more since then, just mail it to me and I'll add them too in my gauge.

As to Hoist operations:
    I just discovered a new trick to avoid the dreaded "broken cable" problem when flying around with an object attached to the hoist cable.
    - When the object is attached, just hoist it fully up and load it "into" the aircraft with "Hoist/Sling (Attach/Release)" command (default key: 'O'). So it's added to the payload.
    - Then fly towards the destination, at any speed with whatever maneuvering.
    - When near the destination, reduce speed, go into VTOL config and wait until the aircraft hovers again at very low airspeed.
    - Then "extract" the object with another 'O' command (so it's visible on the hook again), lower it, and release it when it's on the ground.

Of course, it's a bit cheating if your "object" is much larger in size then the V22 itself ..LoL ..; but at least it works, without the risk of a "broken cable" during transport flight.

Cheers, Rob
    Do you have the Haze Gray Studios ships? Don't know if you heard about the new AI Ship payware for FSX/P3D with US Navy ships!

Sadly, no. I am on an extremely limited income. Payware of any sort is out of my reach, sadly.
    I can add the ships you desire and send them to Rob, but you will have to give me the correct information for them. If you want to do it this awkward way, send me a PM and I will tell you how to get the information I need. Not the most efficient method, but the best I can off at the moment.
    If I ever hit the lottery, I'll add soooo many paywares....

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0