Weather System

Thread: Weather System

Weather System

Is there one available instead of having to use the default real world weather within FSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Thank you im guessing you just install and it updates automatically judging by the instructions

That FSXWX looks pretty good, although all the file replacements and .cfg file changes seem a bit complicated.
    My question would be: How does it compare to things like ASN, or FSRealWX? I currently FSRealWX Lite, and it seems to work beautifully "out of the box", so to speak. No changes to any FSX default files or anything like that. Is this FSXWX better? More accurate? Just better looking?
    I just want to see if it's worth the effort, such as it is, to install with all the required changes it needs.
    Thanks for the help
    Pat☺

Tom, FWIW, all the weather engines still have to use the world wide met data, met reports and forecasts and most tap into NOAA's data. After that how the weather is reproduced on your system is a matter of the graphics and textures and the programming capacity behind it. I use REX which has been quite dependable, but when I am also using FSX for other work (aircraft mods etc) FSX becomes the default. REX is always superior but is not because of the data feed but the programming which uses the data. There are others but I do not find the default system all that bad either.

ActiveSky 2016 is the most accurate weather engine I've used. Previously default real world weather in FSX, OpusFSI, and ActiveSky Next. It can depict multiple layers of weather/clouds and provides a very smooth visual transition between weather changes.

It is worth every penny.

The installation does seem complicated might give it go. Reason I ask is because no matter how many days pass the weather around a an airport sometimes seems to never change. Henry does ActiveSky automatically update the weather?.

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    ActiveSky 2016 is the most accurate weather engine I've used. Previously default real world weather in FSX, OpusFSI, and ActiveSky Next. It can depict multiple layers of weather/clouds and provides a very smooth visual transition between weather changes.

It is worth every penny.
    Agreed...I use REX for textures, but I just got AS16 over Christmas and I will never use anything else...they know how to do weather over there. It looks more reaslitic and behaves very good for a sim. I'm very impressed. The features are fantastic all the options available to customize. makes a great package.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    +1

Active Sky Next 2016, REX TD with Soft clouds and to make it even better...

EZDok 2 just updated their engine to read ASN 2016 live. The new turbulence engine gets real time data from ASN, so now the cloud turbulence is pretty incredible. The options for cloud layering and visibility are extremely flexible. When I encounter a live weather system I really like I save that off to archive for days I want to tap into specific weather for video or screen caps.

The whole package is the best setup I've seen to date.

My two cents...that and a buck ninety eight will get you a cup of coffee.
    Last edited by gman5250; January 19th, 2017 at 13:48.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Tom,
    Most weather engines available update the weather "on the fly" as they say. Usually every few minutes, depending on the particular weather engine and it's settings made by the user, as well as the availability of information from the various METAR stations.
    The big problem with the default weather in FSX is, and this has been known for a long time, that sometimes it's up-to-date, sometimes they can go weeks, or even months, with no changes to the weather at all. That's why most recommend 3rd party weather engines. ASN, FSXWX, FSRealWX, REX, whatever.
    I, personally, am on a very fixed income, so I only use freeware. My favorite has been FSRealWX lite. It works for me, and seems to me to depict the weather quite realistically. It doesn't necessarily have super spectacular cloud textures or whatever, but the winds, cloud layers, fog, icing, whatever are accurate to the real world. I'm not after pretty pictures, just accuracy, so it's all I need. Again, this is just me, personally. I am always open to something new, or "better", or whatever, though. That's why the FSXWX is interesting to me. Also, it's free
    Pat☺

I think the default FSX weather engine had had its day even when new and reports of it not updating have been going for years. ANYTHING is better than the default

ATB
    DaveB

Personally I swear by OpusFSI. Lots of additional features beyond an excellent weather engine. It has an AVSIM Reader's Choice Award and Mutley's Hangar Award of Excellence. Don't let the low-tech webpage fool you!

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi.htm

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Sorry for the late reply after looking at other sites I've decided to gonfor Active Sky 2016. Is there anything else I need to get before I purchase it?.

I think AS2016 is just a weather engine Tom. To get the very best out of it.. I'd get some different clouds too. You may be able to get it with Cloud Art as a bundle. Otherwise.. look at REX Texture Direct.

ATB
    DaveB

I use Rex Texture Direct + Soft Clouds and AS16 and the visuals are outstanding.
    Add Steve's DX10 fixer and cloud shadows to that and you will be in for a treat.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I think AS2016 is just a weather engine Tom. To get the very best out of it.. I'd get some different clouds too. You may be able to get it with Cloud Art as a bundle. Otherwise.. look at REX Texture Direct.

ATB
    DaveB

Thank you Dave.

Much of the debate depends on what the simmer wants. Some products offer better visuals and more options for what is/can be displayed. Others may offer a more robust set of algorithms to 'generate' the simulated weather.

What we see and fly through in the sim is still dependent on the data source(s). Worldwide, the source of that data comes only from a very small percentage of the visible atmosphere and then it's collected, transmitted and rebroadcast through the various weather services - within certain criteria.

METARs - the 'actual' weather, is done by humans or machines HOURLY. It is observed, tabulated and then distributed. This is the core of what the sim gets so there is a lot of time in between as well as huge distances between stations. In the case of the automated systems in N. America and more now in other parts of the world, the automated observations are ongoing but many of those are not polled at all, or they may report to the central system every 15, 30 or 60 minutes even if they are available by radio (or in some cases by phone) in "real time". The only criteria for updating in between the hourly METAR is when there are significant changes that affect operational conditions (drop/rise in viz, wind changes, precipitation to name some) and then a Special Observation is put out. Some of those are only triggered by pilot or ATC reports to the weather observer who is indoors except during his observation.

The automated stations only report data from a tiny spot of sky and some technical guesses of other conditions. The human-observed conditions are more comprehensive as the observer sees a 360* picture in most cases and can interpret things like patchy fog, nearby showers, multiple cloud layers, etc.

If you don't like your local forecast (public or aviation) then don't expect much from a $50 add-on running alongside a $50 sim. The real world ones are done with human interpretation of computer-modeled data run through large, dedicated computer systems but still provide a generalized image/guess.

What happens in the vast spaces between reporting (and forecast) stations is anybody's guess or a computer-generated hypothesis and I doubt we'll ever get anything nearing 50% accuracy so 'sorta like' is a pretty reasonable substitute.

Then again, there are many who don't care if it's real or accurate as long as it looks good.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Are you saying that I shouldnt get AS16 because it will basically be the same as the default FSX weather system where it updaes itself every so often?.

Because they both update every so often with basically the same input data doesn't mean the FSX default weather system and AS2016 are the same at all. That's just one aspect. (All the engines use the same Wx source data because really that's all that's available.)

The latest AS products (ASN, AS2016) have a DLL that installs in your sim and communicates with the external Wx engine. This allows the product to change your weather experience inside the sim world for far greater realism than the default engine. For instance wind transitions are smoothed, and the crazy instant cloud pops are eliminated - visual transitions between different weather areas are absolutely smooth. The unrealistic FSX depiction of IFR conditions is fixed - when you are in clouds you will see nothing. You're inside a ping-pong ball. Mist and fog and all other visual effects are more real. Turbulence is VASTLY more real.

There's really no comparison. Once you experience this enhanced realism going back to default weather (or older products that don't offer these realism features) feels primitive and game-like not a simulation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burnside View Post
    Are you saying that I shouldnt get AS16 because it will basically be the same as the default FSX weather system where it updaes itself every so often?.

Bought it today and im absolutely blown away by it.

Despite using a similar source of weather data, ActiveSky will draw the weather in a much more detailled way than the default weather engine.
    But you probably noticed that already

Another great feature of ActiveSky is the "historical mode". It will download the weather from the date you set in the sim.
    This means that if today you want to fly over some place in summer, you create a flight with start date somewhere in June or July last year. Once in the cockpit, ActiveSky will recognize the date in the simulator, and will download the real weather that was at that place at that date ! No more snow falling on your summer photosceneries

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Despite using a similar source of weather data, ActiveSky will draw the weather in a much more detailled way than the default weather engine.
    But you probably noticed that already

Another great feature of ActiveSky is the "historical mode". It will download the weather from the date you set in the sim.
    This means that if today you want to fly over some place in summer, you create a flight with start date somewhere in June or July last year. Once in the cockpit, ActiveSky will recognize the date in the simulator, and will download the real weather that was at that place at that date ! No more snow falling on your summer photosceneries
    I did see that what I really like about it is that you can see what the weathers doing before you even plan a flight in the sim. Noticed the smooth transitions through the weather I just love this.

In P3D the experience is even better with amazingly relaistic fog/haze condition, taking advantage of the P3D volumetric fog capability. In the latest AS16, even transitions from low level haze to clearer air above are amazing.

Finally there is an in-cloud effect available that simulates clouds rushing closeby when you are flying through them. Sometimes it looks nice but on other cases it may be activated even when you are out of cloud so I have disabled it.

In all, one of the best addons one can get. You can get bored of planes, or even sceneries, but weather is always there to amaze you.

Since Daube mentioned "historical weather"...

I was parked at KPDT in Oregon and wondered why it gets 27°C in February despite not being anywhere near a great desert. Turns out that the saved flight from which I've started is still set to mid-september 2016 and that FSXWX straight away downloaded weather data for that day. Without having to tell it to beforehand. Pretty cool, huh?

Members who have read this thread: 0