Squeaking Brakes

Thread: Squeaking Brakes

Squeaking Brakes

Hi all
    Have recently moved to P3D V4.2 and for the most part everything works. I have however found that the "squeaking brakes" which has worked so well now no longer functions. I believe there is a gauge change required for P3D V4 but my mind has gone blank and I can't remember which gauge or what editing. It does work in the Jahn C-47 but I can't recall what I did to make it so. Does not work in the D-18s by Mr. Shupe although I have changed nothing and it did previously.
    Thanks in advance.
    Warren

This SOH thread should be of help to you. There is a download for the needed gauge for P3D V 4 and instructions how to make the necessary changes to your panel.cfg.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ased?p=1090009
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by aspen31 View Post
    Hi all
    Have recently moved to P3D V4.2 and for the most part everything works. I have however found that the "squeaking brakes" which has worked so well now no longer functions. I believe there is a gauge change required for P3D V4 but my mind has gone blank and I can't remember which gauge or what editing. It does work in the Jahn C-47 but I can't recall what I did to make it so. Does not work in the D-18s by Mr. Shupe although I have changed nothing and it did previously.
    Thanks in advance.
    Warren
    Hi Warren,

Since you are using a few of my gauges now ...LoL, maybe you are not aware of my new GroundHandling package (V6, file rcbgh-60.zip here in the P3D-section of the library).
    Which includes "squeaking brakes" , and a lot more ...

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob
    I did not know about a P3D V4 version of this gauge or I simply forgot about it. Still playing to make the early, simple "squeaking brakes" gauge to work without any luck yet. I didn't find your gauge here at SOH but on another site. I downloaded it and will install if I can't figure this one out. Your gauge does a lot for a comparatively small airplane like a Beech 18 but in this case "overkill" may be thew workable answer.
    Thanks
    Warren

Hi all
    So I downloaded the 64 bit gauge, renamed it to dsd_xml_sound3 (as described in my Beech D-18 panel .cfg) and placed it in the the gauge folder after deleting the earlier gauge of the same name and still no squeaking brakes. I'm thinking I must be missing a step but not sure what it is.
    Help or suggestions appreciated. This "squeaking brake" brake stuff once was easy.
    Warren

Hi all
    So I downloaded the 64 bit gauge, renamed it to dsd_xml_sound3 (as described in my Beech D-18 panel .cfg) and placed it in the the gauge folder after deleting the earlier gauge of the same name and still no squeaking brakes. I'm thinking I must be missing a step but not sure what it is.
    Help or suggestions appreciated. This "squeaking brake" brake stuff once was easy.
    Warren
    Look into the panel.cfg.

Does the panel def. looks like:
    gauge**=dsd_xml_sound3!dsd_xml_sound3, ....etc ??

If so, this def. refers to old versions of the XMLsound gauge, and you should change it into:
    gauge**=dsd_xml_sound3!Sound, ....etc

Since you need to change the panel.cfg anyway, I advise you not to rename the 64-bit gauge to the old 32-bit XMLsound file name, to avoid mixup in future between these two versions ...

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob
    This what the pertinent lines look like in my Beech 18 panel .cfg. They exist in both the window # list and the VC list. I believe that's how the panel came from Mr Shupe but I'm not absolutely positive.
    I will revert to the original gauge naming but currently the dsd_xml_sound3, should be point at the 64 bit gauge which I renamed in the gauge file. In any case I'll fix the names and start again as soon as I am able.
    Thanks
    Warren

gauge64=squeaking brakes!BrakeSound, 0,0
    gauge65=squeaking brakes_Sound!dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,,,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini

Hi Rob
    This what the pertinent lines look like in my Beech 18 panel .cfg. They exist in both the window # list and the VC list. I believe that's how the panel came from Mr Shupe but I'm not absolutely positive.
    I will revert to the original gauge naming but currently the dsd_xml_sound3, should be point at the 64 bit gauge which I renamed in the gauge file. In any case I'll fix the names and start again as soon as I am able.
    Thanks
    Warren

gauge65=squeaking brakes_Sound!dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,,,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini
    Meaning that ....._Sound!dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0 .....is the problem.
    Should be ....._Sound!Sound, 0,0 .....(if you still want to rename the gauge).

Obviously, the XMLsound version included with the Beech aircraft (renamed to "squeaking brakes.gau" is a very old version, in which the internal gauge name was different).

Hi Rob
    Thanks very much - again! I won't be able to play much until tomorrow but I'll see how it goes. I plan to use the ground handling gauge in my DC-8 and BAC-1-11 aircraft. They are the only two large airplanes I have - it will be a good spot,
    Take care
    WH

Hi again
    I edited the vc panel .cfg in the Beech 18 as shown below and still no brake sound. I may start again later but so far no luck.
    Thanks again Rob for the assistance so far.
    Warren

gauge65=squeaking brakes_Sound!Sound,dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,,,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini

Hi again
    I edited the vc panel .cfg in the Beech 18 as shown below and still no brake sound. I may start again later but so far no luck.
    Warren

gauge65=squeaking brakes_Sound!Sound,dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,,,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini
    I don't know how much help this will be, but it might! I will display my squeaky brake gauge lines from the [Vcockpit02] of one of my aircraft. I am using FSX and Not P3D so mine is the older sound gauge. I will assume you have the new gauge in your Gauges folder and the Squeaky Brakes folder with the proper .wav and Sound.ini in your Sound folder.

gauge32=squeaking brakes!BrakeSound, 0,0,20,20
    gauge33=squeaking brakes_Sound!dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,20,18,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Hi
    Your information looks exactly like my /cfg info before I attempted any editing. Everything worked fine in P3D V3.4 but not in P3D V4 because of the gauge difference and yes I have the new gauge installed. The brake sound works fine after the fix in the Jahn C-47 but so far nothing in Mr Shupe's Beech 18. I'll keep working on it (time permitting) and see what I can accomplish.
    Thanks for the help.
    Warren

Hi again
    Warren

See above
    Rob

Hi Rob
    I'm not sure I understand. It appears that the gauge definition is crossed out after sound with nothing to replace it and no reference to the new 64 bit gauge. Is that correct?
    Thanks
    Warren

Hi Rob
    I think I am missing something. I edited the Beech VCpanel .cfg but no brake sound.
    Here's what I currently have but I don't think it's correct - perhaps obviously since it still doesn't work

gauge65=squeaking brakes_Sound!Sound, 0,0,,,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini

Thanks for your patience. Seems I know much more about old jets than editing.
    Warren

Just to throw a little more gasoline on the fire......I found another download for the P3D Version 4 sound gauge/XML, doohickey. This one also has a new Sound.ini with it and a big readme on how to use it. Might be worth a shot.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/re...or-p3d-v4.199/

Another option
    Thanks. I look back on the days of FS2004 when this stuff was mostly easy.
    No luck yet but I'll clear my head and try again.
    Take care
    Warren

Hi Rob
    I think I am missing something. I edited the Beech VCpanel .cfg but no brake sound.
    Here's what I currently have but I don't think it's correct - perhaps obviously since it still doesn't work

gauge65=squeaking brakes_Sound!Sound, 0,0,,,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini

Thanks for your patience. Seems I know much more about old jets than editing.
    Warren
    This is correct.
    That is: assuming you have renamed dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.dll to squeaking brakes_Sound.dll (replacing the old gauge).

If that still doesn't :
    Maybe there's a pathname problem (the search order in P3Dv4 has changed), but I can't tell without knowing the location of the wav files and contents of Sound.ini.

But instead of guessing what might be wrong:
    Since you have the GPWSv5 working, I'll mail you a small xml file and wav file that you can add to the GPWS5 folder.
    That's a lot faster.
    Besides, that gauge will work better.
    I'm pretty sure that if you would park your Beech aircraft on a moving surface (like an aircraft carrier) with the brakes set, you will continuously hear the brakes squeaking ...LoL

Rob

PS. Mail sent ....
    Last edited by rcbarend; February 14th, 2018 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I don't know how much help this will be, but it might! I will display my squeaky brake gauge lines from the [Vcockpit02] of one of my aircraft. I am using FSX and Not P3D so mine is the older sound gauge. I will assume you have the new gauge in your Gauges folder and the Squeaky Brakes folder with the proper .wav and Sound.ini in your Sound folder.

gauge32=squeaking brakes!BrakeSound, 0,0,20,20
    gauge33=squeaking brakes_Sound!dsd_xml_sound3, 0,0,20,18,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini
    Hi Charlie,

For your information, if you ever stumble onto it:
    Somewhere in the continuous development of the XMLsound gauge, Doug changed the internal gauge reference.
    Probably because a whole lot of other stuff and options where added.

You can rename any version of the .gau/.dll to whatever name you like; eg XMLsound.
    But the gauge definition has changed:

- Old versions (like you referenced) use:
    gauge** = XMLsound!dsd_xml_sound3, ......
    - The latest FSX (32bit) and P3dv4 (64bit) version use:
    gauge** = XMLsound!Sound, ......

So the panel.cfg definition must match the version of the XMLsound gauge ...

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Hi Charlie,

For your information, if you ever stumble onto it:
    Somewhere in the continuous development of the XMLsound gauge, Doug changed the internal gauge reference.
    Probably because a whole lot of other stuff and options where added.

You can rename any version of the .gau/.dll to whatever name you like; eg XMLsound.
    But the gauge definition has changed:

- Old versions (like you referenced) use:
    gauge** = XMLsound!dsd_xml_sound3, ......
    - The latest FSX (32bit) and P3dv4 (64bit) version use:
    gauge** = XMLsound!Sound, ......

So the panel.cfg definition must match the version of the XMLsound gauge ...

Rob
    Thanks Rob! I was slowly coming around to that fact as I continued researching the Sound.gau vs Sound_XML.dll

Where does one find these squeaking brake effects?

LouP

Hello,

The squeaking brakes gauge supplied by LM with the JF_L049 uses the 32bit version of xml_sound !!!!

To fix it, just replace in the gauge folder "squeaking brakes_Sound.gau" which is the 32 bits version with "dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.dll" and then rename it "squeaking brakes_Sound.dll"
    Take care that, according to several sources, NOW the gauge folder as priority over panel defined gauge !
    It's why you need to update the gauge binary which is INSIDE the gauge folder...

To use it, you need TWO gaugexx= (code copied from the JF_1049 panel - supplied with Prepar3D V4)

Code:
    gauge07=squeaking brakes!BrakeSound,  0,0,20,20
    gauge08=squeaking brakes_Sound!Sound,  0,0,20,20,./sound/squeaking brakes/Sound.ini
    Ensure that you have exactly that 2 lines !

Gérard

Hi Gerard
    I believe I did everything you suggested and still no brake sound on the Beech 18. My friend Rob made a gauge available to me as part of his GPWS add-on and I have it working. I'm mystified as to why your suggestion would not work but perhaps my editing skills are insufficient. In any case thanks for the help so far.
    Warren

Members who have read this thread: 0