Call for research material... (Fairchild C119G Boxcar) - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Call for research material... (Fairchild C119G Boxcar)

I wanted to thank everyone who is working on this model, really like what I see so far! Really looking forward to it!

Just a little sliver left.....

Roman

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Just a little sliver left.....
    ...of ground clearance?!
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

? For Paratroopers here at SOH

If my memory serves me right ( good chance it doesn't ) , I know we have a few paratroopers here at SOH . Didn't one of you gentleman jump out of a 119 ? It seems to me I read this waaay back. Just wondered how your experience with the 119 was compared to other AC .

Anxiously awaiting the Boxcar's arrival here at SOH . Believe me , we all here at SOH greatly appreciate everyone's hard work on this project . It will be very well received . A very classic old twin prop transport .

Rich

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    An older gentleman at church who was a paratrooper and who jumped from C-47s and other aircraft told me the C-119 had one factor that endeared it to paratroopers - and probably to their unit commanders as well. Due to its design it eliminated the need to make a 90-degree turn at the door just before leaving the airplane, as in the C-47, C-46, and other aircraft of the era. In the -119 you just stood up, hooked up, had your equipment checks, then stood in the door - and it was possible to practically run out the back end since the two personnel doors that were toward the back of the fuselage allowed the static line cable to go straight to the door frame, thus eliminating that turn at the last second. The big issue after that was making sure you didn't land in the canopy of the guy who jumped in front of you.

I'd bet this made it a little easier to assemble units on the ground since it was possible for everyone in both sticks to leave the aircraft in a very short period of time and thus, if the wind cooperated, land pretty close together.

It's a well-known bird but very, very little has been done in the FS world to provide a good model. Like you I am looking forward to this one.

We continue to make improvements/additions to the model and systems while awaiting the final textures. It will be done when it's done, there is no timeline and never was. The time waiting for the textures has not been wasted as I have also been working on the Navion 'A' project and almost completed another Navion project that hadn't even been started when the Boxcar project stalled.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    We continue to make improvements/additions to the model and systems while awaiting the final textures. It will be done when it's done, there is no timeline and never was. The time waiting for the textures has not been wasted as I have also been working on the Navion 'A' project and almost completed another Navion project that hadn't even been started when the Boxcar project stalled.
    oh no.... why Boxcar project stalled?

The answer was in the first sentence of my previous reply.
    Larry

I typically do not do this, and I offer my regrets and apologies for "sinking low" and posting here. It's just that I truly love flying the C-119 in FSX for FSEconomy and while the RIKOO (spelling?) model is good, I keep thinking of the MJ/JV C-47v3 and how absolutely superlative it is and how much I enjoy flying it in FSX I find myself believing with surety that this project for the C-119 will be just as, if not much more, superlative when released.

It has been almost four months since any news has been posted in this thread and three months in the other thread about this project. I am a firm believer in the axiom "no news is good news", but at the same time find myself dreading that "3:00 AM phone call that is never good news". I don't presume to even know or understand all that goes on behind the scenes in a project such as this. I'm a repainter and the concept of aircraft design, coding, virtual cockpit development are lost on me. I wouldn't even know where to begin. So for that the C-119 Team has my undying gratitude.

Just wanted to "touch base" and let someone, anyone, know there is still interest in this project out here in the far, far reaches of the flight sim community.

Thanks for all you do.

Randy
    Randy Tyndall
    It's congenital really. We're an aspiring species that doesn't have wings. What else would we dream of?-Mark Vanhoenacker, British Airways B747 pilot

Randy, we (C-119 Team Members) feel your pain. The hold-up is sadly due to minor coding that has been left unfinished and texture work, also promised and left unfinished. Larry has little control over those aspects since neither person seems willing to answer PM's or e-mails. The same holds true for several other excellent addons from both Larry and another developer, both of whom have been left in the lurch, unable to release their projects until the promised work has been completed.

Personally, I'd like to at least see the C-119 released "as-is" and let the community complete the few things left to complete, but that is not my call. Larry, to his credit, wants it to be released the way he envisioned it early on, and it isn't there right now, so the final decision is his and his alone.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

What still needs to be coded? If it's indeed minor, I am maybe willing to whip something up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    What still needs to be coded? If it's indeed minor, I am maybe willing to whip something up.
    Hope flies eternal!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    To be honest Bjoern I don't remember now, Larry could fill you in though.

Current System Specs:

The coding issue is just tidying up the existing code and removing the test code to make sure everything was working correctly. Roman will be onto that as soon as I tell him I want to release the project.

Rachael did start back on the painting but I've not heard anything from her for weeks now. I know she's busy in RL but it would be nice to get this wrapped up as I need the finished interior textures before I can take the screenshots I need for the manual.

So that's where we are at the moment, a tiny bit of coding to tidy up, the manual to write but the big hold-up is the textures. I have contemplated looking for another texture artist to finish the project but that would probably mean starting again for a lot of the texture sheets (panel lines and rivets, dirt and stuff on the outside, the entire cargo area and parts of several texture sheets for the VC. etc.)
    Larry

Thanks all and especially you, Larry. As I said, I'm typically not the "when, when, when" type and felt a little guilty posting what I did. I feel a lot better now knowing the pan is still on the fire. Even at a simmer...and sometimes because of the simmer...a delicious meal is forthcoming.

Thanks,

Randy
    Randy Tyndall
    It's congenital really. We're an aspiring species that doesn't have wings. What else would we dream of?-Mark Vanhoenacker, British Airways B747 pilot

Icon12

Yup, thanks for the heads up guys! Looking forward to Cabbie

http://disneyplanes.wikia.com/wiki/Cabbie

Quote Originally Posted by OzWookiee View Post
    Yup, thanks for the heads up guys! Looking forward to Cabbie

http://disneyplanes.wikia.com/wiki/Cabbie
    A version I did early on while we were doing initial flight tests and modeling changes.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    A version I did early on while we were doing initial flight tests and modeling changes.

YES! Please release a version with this linvery, my daughter will go nuts! Cabbie and Blade are her faces =)

The coding issue is just tidying up the existing code and removing the test code to make sure everything was working correctly. Roman will be onto that as soon as I tell him I want to release the project.
    Alright, if Roman's on it, it's in very capable hands.

As for the textures, why not ask some of the painter guys here to do an, well..."emergency" set?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post

Wow, that's awesome!

Welcome,

Kane

Blog Entries
    Hey Firekitten, Larry, Falcon?? A lot of us viet vets owe our lives in one way or another to a C-119 called "Shadow", and we got pretty attached too it as well. Do you think you guys could squeeze in a version of it to this release??
    Pam

http://www.ac-119gunships.com/the119...g/gunshipg.htm

Hi Pam, long time no see! How ya doin'?

There are no plans to make the Shadow version at the moment (I can't even get this one completed yet) but I do have lots of resource info on it including manuals covering the guns and cockpit gun sight systems.
    Larry

Blog Entries
    Hi Pam, long time no see! How ya doin'?

There are no plans to make the Shadow version at the moment (I can't even get this one completed yet) but I do have lots of resource info on it including manuals covering the guns and cockpit gun sight systems.
    Thanks Larry.. Sadness, but its ok.. And it HAS been a long time.. about five years I figure.. Over all, I'm hanging in there. I'm hoping to get the old team back together again and finish the P-61. Delta558 is up for it, and I'm just waiting to see where N5026 is at with it. After that though, because of health, i'll most likely retire from doing any dev work. I figure its time for someone else to shine anyway. Know what I mean?? So yeahh, I'm going to become just a regular person ::chuckles::

The Boxcars looking really good though. I'll look forward to flying it..
    Gonna scoot..
    Pam

Members who have read this thread: 0