Glowingheat B-58 in P3Dv4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glowingheat B-58 in P3Dv4

Glowingheat B-58 in P3Dv4

Just finished the 'Cowtown Hustler' and tried it out in P3Dv4. Whether it's all good or got big holes in it, it still looks fabulous from the outside at least. The only issue I have found so far is that it will adopt the same stance on the runway as the previous aircraft. If that's a tail dragger you have a problem...!

59-2458 Bendix and Bleriot Trophy winner March 1962. Assigned the 43rd Bomb Wing at Carswell AFB TX. Now in the Wright-Patterson Museum, Dayton OH.

DaveQ

Edit - Now posted here in the library.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B-58 59-2458 1.jpg  
    Last edited by DaveQ; May 10th, 2018 at 06:48. Reason: Repaint Posted
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Looks fabulous Dave. I have flown the bird in P3D all versions and the only problem I discovered was the air refuel did not work, which you addressed on the web page. But I have not had a chance to get the file you sent loaded properly to try out your fix. Also, not to hijack the thread, I have been flying Xplane 11 almost exclusively for a
    couple of months and not get over great scenery out of the box. Would love to see your line of products go Xplane. Thanks, Skip
    Asus Rog Strix Z 390 Intel I 9900 36 g Ram@4200 1080 TI Overclock 4.9

Sorry for the mix up Dave, I keep getting you confused with Dave of Glowing Heat. I will be downloading this work and thanks for the effort. Skip
    Asus Rog Strix Z 390 Intel I 9900 36 g Ram@4200 1080 TI Overclock 4.9

No wurries - both myself and David Bushell have a keen interest in the Hustler so I take it as a complement!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Small Correction to the Nose Wheel Door Stencils

I noticed after I'd posted that the ground crew stencils on the nose wheel doors were not properly aligned. This corrects that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Glad to see you guys still enjoying the Hustler. Such a beautiful and innovative aircraft

Not sure about X-Plane, I guess there must be a way of converting planes.....?

The B-58 looks ok in P3DV4, but still wish it had a shinier exterior! NC

vs real life

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-9-20_15-48-18-10.jpg   Hustler4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    The B-58 looks ok in P3DV4, but still wish it had a shinier exterior! NC

vs real life

I've always preferred the 'worn' look of aircraft during their operational life, which is why I've never made anything pristine with airshow shine. Also I've never felt I could do this level of shine justice. It needs PBR to really make it work IMHO. I have started to convert my model to PBR and will let you know what it would look like.

DaveQ

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    I've always preferred the 'worn' look of aircraft during their operational life, which is why I've never made anything pristine with airshow shine. Also I've never felt I could do this level of shine justice. It needs PBR to really make it work IMHO. I have started to convert my model to PBR and will let you know what it would look like.

DaveQ
    Thanks for the update, Dave! NC

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Thanks for the update, Dave! NC
    The B-58 at the Pima museum was polished up for a cover shoot for the Smithsonian aircraft mag. It has now reverted back to its weather worn finish.

DaveQ
    I agree.

That shiny one is out in the open at a museum. To keep the forward fuselage looking pretty they coat and polish it like its the General's ride.
    A real B-58 on the line looked more like the in-sim image Dave posted but not as dull as the balance of the museum bird.

This is a 'first draft' experiment with PBR. Nothing like finished but gives an idea of what's possible. Now to dull it all back down...!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B-58 PBR.jpg  

It's looking good so far Dave.

Then you can send it to Dave and Dave can send out an update for those of us who are PBR challenged.

This is a 'first draft' experiment with PBR. Nothing like finished but gives an idea of what's possible. Now to dull it all back down...!
    Beautiful! Any chance you might release two versions? One shiny, one not so shiny? I know the true coloring is not shiny, it would be cool to have it in simulation anyway! NC

I'd love to be able to release this when finished but it is still a payware add-on and only the original author, David Bushell, can do that. I've used MCX to add PBR compatibility to several payware models and am experimenting to see what they would look like. Hopefully some developers will take up the challenge to convert their models to PBR so we painters can get the best out of our work. But if David wants my efforts when finished he would be most welcome.

DaveQ

I'd love to be able to release this when finished but it is still a payware add-on and only the original author, David Bushell, can do that. I've used MCX to add PBR compatibility to several payware models and am experimenting to see what they would look like. Hopefully some developers will take up the challenge to convert their models to PBR so we painters can get the best out of our work. But if David wants my efforts when finished he would be most welcome.

DaveQ
    careful there has been one developer already updating the older fsx models at simmarket to p3d at a 45eruo cost with the same very very very basic fs2004/fsx VC model with no external PBR

BTW looks that like a different model with PBR

For sure, effectively charging again for a P3Dv4 conversion seems excessive. If PBR conversion is included there's more involved in the painting than modelling, so a small charge could be justified I guess. But I'm just doing this for fun atm......

DaveQ

Much more what I was looking to achieve!

DaveQ

Apologies, only just seen this thread.

That's amazing work you're doing there, just a week and a half ago I saw a B-58 up close for the first time at Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA - awesome looking aircraft, might be tempted to revisit it for a third time.......curious how you got PBR to work. If i did revisit it, it would stay at the same old price, and I'd see what I could do for existing customers. It was released for FSX as I hadn't then tried P3D.

Lets talk!

Please email me support @ glowingheat.co.uk

Looks great Dave. BTW CS Dave, the FSX version works fine for me in P3DV4.5. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Apologies, only just seen this thread.

That's amazing work you're doing there, just a week and a half ago I saw a B-58 up close for the first time at Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA - awesome looking aircraft, might be tempted to revisit it for a third time.......curious how you got PBR to work. If i did revisit it, it would stay at the same old price, and I'd see what I could do for existing customers. It was released for FSX as I hadn't then tried P3D.

Lets talk!

Please email me support @ glowingheat.co.uk
    Will do.

DaveQ

Bought this B58 years ago for FSX, great idea for P3D v4.5. Looking a bit into the future...yes, its too early, don't know enough yet, but would love this in the coming new Microsoft Flight Simulator.

The first XB-58 'Old Grandpappy' as it was in later years, in a two-tone red and white scheme. Thanks to Glowingheat for a beautiful model and to Frank Safranak for the original texture and paint kit.

DaveQ

Shiny Military Aircraft

As much as many might want their favorite military aircraft (read B-58) to be shiny, it did not happen in real life. In air shows or museum displays, the aircraft are buffed and then given a protective clear coating. Squadron aircraft (and USAF normally had a maintenance squadron) would not do this because of the prohibitive amount of labor (man hours) required.In the B-58 case, they could not keep the normal paint on the fuselage (due to the speed and temperature involved) much less and protective coating.Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    As much as many might want their favorite military aircraft (read B-58) to be shiny, it did not happen in real life. In air shows or museum displays, the aircraft are buffed and then given a protective clear coating. Squadron aircraft (and USAF normally had a maintenance squadron) would not do this because of the prohibitive amount of labor (man hours) required.In the B-58 case, they could not keep the normal paint on the fuselage (due to the speed and temperature involved) much less and protective coating.Bill
    Oh, I completely understand the facts! I just like the shiny, buffed look! Just as a lot of simmers prefer other military aircraft, i.e. the Phantom, to be spotless, clean textures; but in reality, those aircraft were anything but splotchy looking, except for Change of Command ceremonies, or when coming straight from rework. Most of us never saw a Hustler when they were still in active inventory. NC

Members who have read this thread: 1