Changing P3D licenses

Thread: Changing P3D licenses

Changing P3D licenses

Hey everyone,

My P3D Professional license just expired and I was looking at going to the Academic Version to have TAC-PAC again. I know LM says you have to completely uninstall the old version and install the new version to switch licenses, but I was wondering if it's possible to just do that with the client portion of the installation, so i don't have to re-install all of my scenery and aircraft?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken, when you do a total uninstall, anything you've added to the base platform will remain untouched since the uninstaller doesn't know about them. So, no re-installation of them will be required.

You're idea of only uninstalling the Client won't work because of different version numbers between the Pro and Student licenses.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Thanks Bill,

It looks like I'm going Academic.

Ken

You should be able to install the academic version and then copy the simobjects, effects, add-ons, etc... from the pro installation over to it....before removing the pro installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Hey everyone,

My P3D Professional license just expired and I was looking at going to the Academic Version to have TAC-PAC again. I know LM says you have to completely uninstall the old version and install the new version to switch licenses, but I was wondering if it's possible to just do that with the client portion of the installation, so i don't have to re-install all of my scenery and aircraft?

Thanks,

Ken
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Ken
    It can expire???

It was my understanding that the regular pro license did not expire, at least for the version you bought. So if you got the pro licence for 4.0 you could use it for all 4.x forever, unless you got a developers licence and then it was 10$ a month until you cancel it.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    It can expire???

It was my understanding that the regular pro license did not expire, at least for the version you bought. So if you got the pro licence for 4.0 you could use it for all 4.x forever, unless you got a developers licence and then it was 10$ a month until you cancel it.
    That's what I thought, but it claimed it expired. So, when I was looking into the issues, I looked at pricing again and decided to go to the Academic version so I can use TAC PACK again. Which, BTW, I only had one error with the install; it said I had multiple MV-22's, which I'll sort out this weekend. It's good to know I didn't have to re-install everything, but I haven't seen if the licensed products will still work yet. Still, it was easy to do.

OK, I spoke too soon. When I go flying, some of the textures switch between day, night, and water textures, depending on my range from them. Any ideas on what is causing this? BTW, I have everything by Orbx installed, except True Earth GB, if that makes a difference.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-4-6_0-50-20-846.jpg  

You might just need to go into your FTX Central and trigger some "verify" or "reinstall" of the OrbX libraries. This looks like some landclass definition problem, which is likely to happen since you have uninstalled and reinstalled the client of P3D.

Thanks Daube, That was it! Now I know what that verify button is for.

That's what I thought, but it claimed it expired. So, when I was looking into the issues, I looked at pricing again and decided to go to the Academic version so I can use TAC PACK again. Which, BTW, I only had one error with the install; it said I had multiple MV-22's, which I'll sort out this weekend. It's good to know I didn't have to re-install everything, but I haven't seen if the licensed products will still work yet. Still, it was easy to do.
    a email to LM a support can re activate the lic on request, I had mine deactivate several times due to hardware changes and inadvertently uninstalls without deactivating prior

but what you just described, it will be cheaper to downgrade in the long run for addons from several developers

Members who have read this thread: 0