DoughBree L-39C (FSX) - Page 4
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: DoughBree L-39C (FSX)

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    It is your model only with altered material properties in two sections, namely the wings and fuse.
    If you don't want it that's fine...I'll keep it for myself.
    It just means no-one else will be buzzing around in my Thunderbird skin unless it's dull grey.

Sorry I tried to help.
    Probably best not to release the 2D panel for it either.
    Well....I'm still interested in that shiny T-bird skin!

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Well....I'm still interested in that shiny T-bird skin!
    I can't release it as it requires Bjoern's model with my reworked texture, and he stated it's either his or it's nothing.

I had the same issues with the F105 T'bird I did years ago....had to be for the Alpha FS9 ver only as the FSX Alpha/Virtavia didn't do 'chrome' either...but now I know how to get MDLMat to correct it so I can use the FSX Thud in lieu of the more primitive quality FS9 one. Neither is really right as they are D's...and the T'Birds used B's...

With Tim's A12A Avenger II I created my own 4096 res paintkit and am doing similar with the DougBree L-39 too though will likely stick with 2048 as it's OK enough - [cleaned up higher res redo of the original]....don't really have to read what grade of fuel to put in it...

I still need to clean up [and finish] the Tbird painting...ie the curves in the tailplane... but here it is at the moment..

Still scope for panel-sheet contrasts so it's less 'clean'.

I can't release it as it requires Bjoern's model with my reworked texture, and he stated it's either his or it's nothing.

I had the same issues with the F105 T'bird I did years ago....had to be for the Alpha FS9 ver only as the FSX Alpha/Virtavia didn't do 'chrome' either...but now I know how to get MDLMat to correct it so I can use the FSX Thud in lieu of the more primitive quality FS9 one. Neither is really right as they are D's...and the T'Birds used B's...

With Tim's A12A Avenger II I created my own 4096 res paintkit and am doing similar with the DougBree L-39 too though will likely stick with 2048 as it's OK enough - [cleaned up higher res redo of the original]....don't really have to read what grade of fuel to put in it...

I still need to clean up [and finish] the Tbird painting...ie the curves in the tailplane... but here it is at the moment..

Still scope for panel-sheet contrasts so it's less 'clean'.
    That looks nice and I hope that after you finish it that you will share it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Re the glass.. internal/VC
    Okay, I can remove the reflection from there.

Look, all your .mdl alterations will be worth zilch when I have to recompile the external model for a bugfix or something else (like that stupid backseater's neck!) and I am simply not willing to always ship you the model first before I can wrap it up in the zip file.
    So either work with me in getting reflections in without breaking the non-reflective paints or wait until the exterior model is perfected (hint: never) and then do that MDLMat stuff and release it. Your call.

Making installer

With all the changes, I am making an installer for this L39, that way, I can just add or modify as needed when the new edits come out and repack my installer.

You mean like a batch script installer?
    Actually, unless I am commanding the deletion of any files, you can just copy+paste+overwrite everything.

I am working on the electrical system at the moment. And toned down the VC glass reflections. And upped the exterior model reflections.
    I've also yet again done some neck work. If you aren't content now, you'll have to deal with it. Or fly solo.

Jafo: A pitch black alpha channel on the dfuse and wing textures should make this thing shine now. Just wait for the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Actually, unless I am commanding the deletion of any files, you can just copy+paste+overwrite everything.

I am working on the electrical system at the moment. And toned down the VC glass reflections. And upped the exterior model reflections.
    I've also yet again done some neck work. If you aren't content now, you'll have to deal with it. Or fly solo.

Jafo: A pitch black alpha channel on the dfuse and wing textures should make this thing shine now. Just wait for the next update.
    Actually, I meant using an installer program such as this one:

http://www.clickteam.com/install-creator-2

I hope you guys get this sorted out. This L39 is great freeware and I'd love to have that Thunderbird skin for it!

I sent you and Jafo a PM with a link to the installer that I made for this bird. Hope you like it. More is explained in my PM to you and Jafo.

Would like to the Okay to post it but, I figure that there are more update yet to be made.......

A gaggle of Breitlings

Nimitz trap

I just had to try....

Maybe that gal in the back seat has the hiccups....

I've gone over the hydraulic system yesterday and started recoding the electrical systems. If tomorrow's hangover isn't as bad as today's, I might get things finished by tomorrow night.
    Maybe I can also pull off some tricks to implement the emergency hydraulic system. We'll see.

Installer for the L39D

I made an installer for the latest and greatest version of the L39. If anyone is interested here is the link.
    I got the Okay from Bjoern

http://www.mediafire.com/download/03...gp96t/L39D.zip

The file above is as of today (21 Feb 2015).

This installer has an uninstaller as well. If you like the installer I made, I would be interested in hearing from you....Enjoy.

PS, With the constant updates made to the L39 project, I may have to come up with version numbers or add dates to the file name as I add the updates to the installer.
    This outta be fun.....

PS, With the constant updates made to the L39 project, I may have to come up with version numbers or add dates to the file name as I add the updates to the installer.
    This outta be fun.....
    I think Mediafire supports revision management on files now, so you can simply replace the file with a newer version and still retain the link.
    That's the way I'm doing it for my builds on Google Drive.

As for version numbers, just stick to the build dates specified in the Readme's changelog.

I think Mediafire supports revision management on files now, so you can simply replace the file with a newer version and still retain the link.
    That's the way I'm doing it for my builds on Google Drive.

As for version numbers, just stick to the build dates specified in the Readme's changelog.
    I figure you will update/date the readme with changes and dates so I can just add that to the zip file along with what ever files have be edited/changed.
    I love it when a plan comes together......

I figure you will update/date the readme with changes and dates so I can just add that to the zip file along with what ever files have be edited/changed.
    I love it when a plan comes together......
    Of course I will!

Bjoern...I'll wait for the next and apply a black alpha to see whether I end up with 'chrome' [polished metal] or only glossy grey ie painted metal....as I believe [ill recheck] my 'hacking' via MDLMat can get me both or either, depending on 'how' black the alpha is. Some FSX native aircraft models can do it, others cannot - and need a little tweaking...

I'll post a screenie of an unaltered original DoughBree 2004 paint using this same 'tweak' to show its 'normal' effect.
    It's still the mod from your model release with the twitchy 'bear', not the latest.

Yep, no dramas...has a 'little' shine...as expected when the alpha is 245,245,245.

I'll swap out the model to the unaltered one to see if there's a difference [to normal/original skins]...

Edit....
    OK...I see where the FSX rework is heading and it DOES look good/better than the old FS9 original. You can get a quite natural looking aluminium finish [just not chrome-like] so I think if I were to release the T'Birds ver I'd have to combine it with an altered model as well.

Edit 2...
    The pitch-black alpha wasn't a success...here's a shot....curiously the shadowed areas were 'almost' chrome...but the highlights definitely weren't there....here's a pic

This one took longer than I've thought. I just hope you wannabe chiropractors are happy now...

In less nitpicky news, I've brought the entire electric and hydraulic system closer to FSX' default systems. Vit did a very commendable job on the beta, but I found it was a bit too much out of the box in some areas. However, this doesn't mean that I've dumbed any systems down. You still need to flick some switches.
    I've also implemented a load/save module for a few custom switches (as of now), so that their state is consistent between FSX sessions (or aircraft reloads).

And then there's this:

Plus emergency hydraulics.
    The next update is going to make sure that you'll need your emergency stuff if you mistreat the plane!

IMPORTANT:
    AS OF THIS RELEASE, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ README.TXT AND OPERATIONAL NOTES.TXT!

Also, I think CTRL+E won't work anymore due to a recoded startup procedure. I could be wrong though.

Link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...ew?usp=sharing

Upgrade:
    - Save old repaints, blah, blah, overwrite, blah, re-add paints
    - Delete model\L39C.mdl. I am 95.72% sure that the old model is not required anymore.

Thanks for the new one, Bjoern...am grabbing it now...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The chromed T'Bird's working...
    Damn that looks good. [if I say so myself] ...now I really need to finish my paintkit rework....and the skin.

Thanks, Bjoern....it's brilliant [in more ways than one]...

Edit....
    I've now finished the wings and their alpha...and it's coming together well...
    Now I'll get back into the fuse and clean up those painted bits...

Last edited by Jafo; February 23rd, 2015 at 20:14.

I 'finished' the cleanup of the paint....this was started in August 2011 ...and it's maybe finished in Feb, 2015 ....
    [must learn to be quicker]....

Wrestling with T'Bird stripes is always a pain...and I'd lost interest in putting in the effort for an FS9 model with the 'usual' glass glitches, etc in FSX.
    Thanks to Bjoern it's now worth it to keep at it ...

I'm still rejigging the paintkit so as to include suitable alphas, etc. but it may be worth having a go at some other 'what-ifs' ....

Cheers Bjoern Back in from work.. will give it a run asap

ATB
    DaveB

One great thing about Doug Dawson's load/save gauge is ensuring persistence across FSX sessions, so why not make use of it?

You will have to watch your engine now.

I've also implemented click sounds for the switches. Immersion and stuff.

Also, you may note that the labelling on some switches is gone. The labels were for a gunsight or HUD, which the "C" model does not possess. They will be turned into autopilot control switches at one point.

Not done with the update yet, still considering what to do about the real L-39s fuel governor which, in its standard mode, should prevent the "Thermal Stress" counter from rising all too quickly.

Members who have read this thread: 3