Firefly port-over
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firefly port-over

Firefly port-over

Just uploaded to our library today is a brand new Fairey Firefly for Fs9 by our very own Fnerg. Of course I had to try it in FsX. Glass and prop alphas needed modifying and there is one gauge no functioning in FsX. In Fs9 it is brilliant and a great job of work. Here in FsX after the alpha mods...

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Beautiful!

Just downloaded also.

Thanks fnerg.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Blog Entries
    Brilliant Roger!!

I just stumbled across the item as part of my regular troll through the most recent files, and then I had to see if there was mention of it here in FSX ... so glad it (mostly) works.

Any chance of posting the fixed prop/glass textures? I absolutely love how good that looks. That would be so much appreciated.

What gauge is n/s? Depending on what it is, maybe one could substitute something from another model's gauge set.

This looks just fantastic - it truly is raining naval goodies this last week ...

DL

Hi DL it's just a quick and dirty fix but it makes it flyable. On the model with tanks there is an issue that I can't fix as yet.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Blog Entries
    Sheesh Roger,

The model's been out for a full 19 hours and you've still not got it sorted ...

JUST KIDDING!!!

That was really fast - thanks for posting so quickly. I'm watching the discussion over on the FS9 forum (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-AS-5-and-Mk-6) for the small inevitable tweaks that are understandable with a new model (and Doug's first project, no less!!)

Regardless, if where it's at today is as far as we can get it in FSX, we are all still most blessed by this gift.

Thanks Doug and thanks Roger for the tweaks.

DL

Actually poor old Doug had an issue uploading the file and finally a couple of hours ago it was successfully uploaded...so there's a little more time needed to tweak yet
    If you've got Fs9 on your pc you might be able to see which gauge needs fettling.
    SYSTEM :

Blog Entries
    meh, excuses - blame it on Doug, then!

Yes, I saw his trials and tribulations earlier today - bravo for him succeeding in getting it posted. I see a small update will be posted regarding a bmp texture issue - will have to wait on that.

Good suggestion on the FS9 idea - alas, I don't - was gifted to someone who needed it more than I did. I'm hoping Medic, Andy43 or Flieger can take a peek - those are a couple of the folks who I can think of who fly military types on both platforms.

If identified, I'll take a look at what I can substitute in a few hours when I get home.

cheers,

DL

Looks like the brake gauge isn't showing up from the screenshot, although the needles are there.

Nice looking model all the same.

Blog Entries
    now i KNOW i need sleep. I read the title and thought.. " another spaceship in fsx??"

Its looking awesome though to be honest.. Great work..
    Pam

I don't usually mess with ports, but I think I'll make an exception for this one. There is a restored Firefly that is local to me...

Attachment 54777
    Regards,
    Robert

That's a great photo Robert!:ernae:
    SYSTEM :

very nice, a personal favourite of mine. On our last visit to the airshow at Duxford a firefly belly flopped into a corn field killing both pitot and passenger, very sad day.

I paid special attention to it at the show because Ive never seen one before. So i watched her take off, not much later I noticed her nose up to the sky, nearly got to the top, stalled not enough speed, banked over tried to pull out at the bottom, but was to late. I remember it fairly well, most of the other peeps watch watching the other aircraft. When I seen her heading for the ground I shouted (insert here) pull out, might have been instict but then everyone was fixated on where I was looking, then a big poof of smoke. I then looked over to the fire service, shouting like mad at them they looked around but didnt go straight out to them very sad day.

My wife asked if we could go home, I agreed.

Thanks for the eads up, Roger. I was following this like a hawk when I was running FS9. A HUGE venture for Doug to take on. He was doing well last I read in the thread not too awful long ago. This is excellent to see it finally come to life!

Thank,,,,,,,,You,,,,,,DOUG!!!! :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    very nice, a personal favourite of mine. On our last visit to the airshow at Duxford a firefly belly flopped into a corn field killing both pitot and passenger, very sad day.

I paid special attention to it at the show because Ive never seen one before. So i watched her take off, not much later I noticed her nose up to the sky, nearly got to the top, stalled not enough speed, banked over tried to pull out at the bottom, but was to late. I remember it fairly well, most of the other peeps watch watching the other aircraft. When I seen her heading for the ground I shouted (insert here) pull out, might have been instict but then everyone was fixated on where I was looking, then a big poof of smoke. I then looked over to the fire service, shouting like mad at them they looked around but didnt go straight out to them very sad day.

My wife asked if we could go home, I agreed.
    Very sad. I can understand why your wife wanted to go home.
    SYSTEM :

Blog Entries
    First - it looks fantastic - very well done.

Couple of points ...

NAV 1 radio tone - I can't turn it off. I tried subbing in another period-looking radio panel (bummed a nice looking unit from the Sea Vixen) - but even when I turn NAV 1 volume off, it doesn't stop giving me the Morse tone ...

Master switch in the VC (rt side, just ahead of the fuse panel) - it stays down - is that normal? I want to start it properly from cold ...

Magnetos - 1 is operable, 2 is not ... ? they also seem to be reversed from the 2D (upside down) to the VC (right way round)

Approach speed - even with low amount of fuel load (25%-30%), it's hard to keep it below 100 kts without VS going below -1000 fpm, which makes it tricky to land aboard the boat. If this is correct, this makes it one of the hardest props to land aboard the boat, unless I'm doing something very wrong. I'd have thought the Youngam flaps would bring this down to around to at around the 90ish kts at a manageable VS. Took me about a dozen waveoffs before I put her down on Victorious.

Otherwise, it's a great project - definite keeper.

thanks,

DL

ps - I get severe nose tipover on arrested landings - don't know if that's the positioning of the "virtual" hook or the high touchdown speeds .... curious what the other carrier pilot folk have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    First - it looks fantastic - very well done.

Couple of points ...

NAV 1 radio tone - I can't turn it off. I tried subbing in another period-looking radio panel (bummed a nice looking unit from the Sea Vixen) - but even when I turn NAV 1 volume off, it doesn't stop giving me the Morse tone ...

Master switch in the VC (rt side, just ahead of the fuse panel) - it stays down - is that normal? I want to start it properly from cold ...

Magnetos - 1 is operable, 2 is not ... ? they also seem to be reversed from the 2D (upside down) to the VC (right way round)

Approach speed - even with low amount of fuel load (25%-30%), it's hard to keep it below 100 kts without VS going below -1000 fpm, which makes it tricky to land aboard the boat. If this is correct, this makes it one of the hardest props to land aboard the boat, unless I'm doing something very wrong. I'd have thought the Youngam flaps would bring this down to around to at around the 90ish kts at a manageable VS. Took me about a dozen waveoffs before I put her down on Victorious.

Otherwise, it's a great project - definite keeper.

thanks,

DL

ps - I get severe nose tipover on arrested landings - don't know if that's the positioning of the "virtual" hook or the high touchdown speeds .... curious what the other carrier pilot folk have to say.
    I think the FDE needs a bit of attention(hook I did allready).For me as I do this often,hardest to land is a Seafire(if you forget Corsair where you see nothing unless you fly the curved approach).This is almost impossibleto land as gap between fly and beeing a stone is very sharp(maybe 1/2 a knot)

other then this GREAT MODEL

Roland

SOH-CM-2023
    To get the triple brake pressure gauge to show in FSX VC, in the panel.cfg file try changing the -ve 1 value to zero or 1, FSX will not show gauges with a -ve number. (I have yet to do it, but from past experience found this to be the answer)
    HTH
    Keith

In FSX

I went and used my standby panel and got rid of tone. Also can 'see' flaps and pitch trim (vital for traps) on 2D panel view. Tweaked the cfg file, used my A-1H air file and I got it going. So I made a video for now. Will see about FDEs 'tamale' because it's late already. Here is the video Link: http://youtu.be/wzgyqU00R8E. It shows 2 traps I only installed the MK.6 Canadian skin. Cheers.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    For now I guess I can share the 'tailhook' settings: cfg and air needs LOTS of tweaking. I'm not done with it but it's 90%.

[tailhook] //--- mod by c:b ('Napamule'), for Fairy Firefly, 11Dec22 ---
    tailhook_length= 0.6000
    tailhook_position=-24.000, 0.000, -0.600
    cable_force_adjust= 2.200

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    To get the triple brake pressure gauge to show in FSX VC, in the panel.cfg file try changing the -ve 1 value to zero or 1, FSX will not show gauges with a -ve number. (I have yet to do it, but from past experience found this to be the answer)
    HTH
    Keith
    That's done the trick, thanks Keith.

Lovely aircraft, thanks Doug.

any fix for the one with fuel tanks yet?

Not loaded it up in FSX yet but one other thing to remember for those who have not done it is to unpack the gauges CAB files and repack them using the FSX SDK Cabdir prog.

Thanks Dev one and DarrenL got the gauges to appear and will redo the cab files.:ernae:

SYSTEM :

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    HTH
    Keith
    Please could you clarify this for me, I have looked into the triple gauge but cannot see which item to change.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    Please could you clarify this for me, I have looked into the triple gauge but cannot see which item to change.
    Open the panel.cfg files in both panel folders, edit with notepad and search for "triple" the one to change will be the 2nd of the two instances found, the first number after it will be -1, change it to 0 or 1 instead and save.

Eg. Changing

gauge17=ST_Firefly!Triplebrakepress, -1,490,94,94

to

gauge17=ST_Firefly!Triplebrakepress, 0,490,94,94

I went and used my standby panel and got rid of tone
    Nice ... as usual :salute: