Compatability of current nvidia graphics cards and ms dxt-9

Thread: Compatability of current nvidia graphics cards and ms dxt-9

Compatability of current nvidia graphics cards and ms dxt-9

I was intending to upgrade to a newer PC as latest tech is very fast. However, while I know that Microsoft Windows 10 on my current rig operates FS2004 fine, I am aware that the more recent and latest NVIDIA GPUs cannot operate on Microsoft's DXT-9 graphics driver.

Can anyone inform me at what iteration of NVIDIA's Graphics Processor Units (GPUs) they ceased to be able to operate on DXT-9. A recent techie I consulted stated that he thought that NVIDIA'S GTX 960 was the last NVIDIA GPU able to work on DTX-9. He qualified his statement by saying that he was not a Flt Sim expert and I should consult a Flt Sim site with experienced techies that knew - So here I am (again).

Mal

I've got a GTX-1060 and it runs FS9 fine, and older stuff like CFS2 and even older steam games.

Not the most techie and informative, but I hope it helps a bit.

Jamie

PS. correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it DirectX itself that has built in backwards compatibility, so as long as the card supports DX it should be fine? I've never had to manually install any other version of DX, but that's not saying that installing some older games may have done that for me.

Hi Mal,

I have a GeForce RTX 2080 OC X2 graphic card and I run FS9 with all sliders on full without a problem.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    I've got a GTX-1060 and it runs FS9 fine
    I have a GTX-1070 and can only run FS9 in windowed mode on Windows 10. If I try fullscreen, the menus at the top of the screen appear for a few seconds but disappear before I can select anything in the drop down menus for each item. Am I missing a setting?
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    I have a GTX-1070 and can only run FS9 in windowed mode on Windows 10. If I try fullscreen, the menus at the top of the screen appear for a few seconds but disappear before I can select anything in the drop down menus for each item. Am I missing a setting?
    No . It's what you have to do. Mine is same, win10 fs9 with a Radeon graphics card

Ttfn

Pete

Thanks for all of your info. I can now upgrade the GPU for my FS2004 PC. This issue came to a head when I was looking at some pre-built PCs on offer from SCAN Computers capable of running MSFS 2020. The high end Nvidia GPU installed in these PCs specifically stated that they could only run on DXT-10 onwards. Also, in the tech blurb about FSFS 2020 it stated a minimum broadband download speed of 5 MB/sec. As my local hill-top site (on copper not fiber) can barely reach 85 KB/sec this was not an option for me. In any case it made me re-assess my thoughts on upgrading and so, at present am still in the FS2004 fold - and still enjoying it and installing great add-ons of all kinds.
    Thanks again
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    No . It's what you have to do. Mine is same, win10 fs9 with a Radeon graphics card
    Thanks Pete.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    Thanks Pete.
    Its a win 10 issue to do with 3d drivers and anti- aliasing

I just live with it, and make the window as big as possible

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0