F1 Thoughts?

Thread: F1 Thoughts?

Lightbulb F1 Thoughts?

Did we just look at Red Bull Vettel/Webber flashback?...
    Yellows....
    Good result by Max...
    Gasly much better...
    Albon looking good...
    Factory Renault still not looking "factory" as it continues to battle with McLaren

Williams needs a complete purge & reboot....

Vettel is still a top driver and with 32 not yet written off. I guess the call to pit early ended up nice for both Vettel as Verstappen. But it was a guess. Mercedes kept the Lewis on the track much longer , because they thought he would be able to benefit at the end of the race. We now know this didn't work, like we now know an early stop was the best thing to do.

Max had a steady drive, for him its a pity that Red Bull seems to close the gap with Mercedes, but now Ferrari is improving much faster than Red Bull. Albon drove a nice race. It looks like Gasly is a better driver with Torro Rosso, while Albon is better in driving the RB15.

Renault......... It still looks like Renault should concentrate on building engines and leave designing a car to others.

Personally I think Williams should not use the current car as the base for next years car.....

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon2

Well....Renault did win the Constructor's Championship in 2005 and 2006...LoL

Not that long ago McLaren and Williams were still dominating the Formula One. It proves the Dutch slogan "successes from the past are no guarantee for future results...."

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon2

On a bit of a side note, Josef Newgarden just won his 2nd Indycar Championship in 3 years.
    Time for Gene Haas to talk to Roger Penske about getting Newgarden to replace Grosjean in 2020.....

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Not that long ago McLaren and Williams were still dominating the Formula One. It proves the Dutch slogan "successes from the past are no guarantee for future results...."

Cheers,
    Huub
    IMHO, Williams downhill began with the "Mechachrome" disaster to which they never fully recovered.

McLaren went downhill after Hamilton left (and conversely, Mercedes became a powerhouse with the arrival of Hamilton) - which tells me that Hamilton knows how to develop a car....

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post

Renault.........
    I drove a '59 Renault Dauphine when I was in High School. Does that count?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpeg 
Views:	0 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	71559
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    IMHO, Williams downhill began with the "Mechachrome" disaster to which they never fully recovered.

McLaren went downhill after Hamilton left (and conversely, Mercedes became a powerhouse with the arrival of Hamilton) - which tells me that Hamilton knows how to develop a car....
    For McLaren I also think the development of the sports car, the conflicts which led to the departure of Ron Dennis and the absence of Ron Dennis contributed to the downfall of McLaren.

For Williams the problem is much bigger than "just an engine" problem. Its has been a constant struggle for money and it seems the team never really recovered after the departure of Adian Newey.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I drove a '59 Renault Dauphine when I was in High School. Does that count?

Nice car! over the years I have owned 3 different Renaults. All very nice cars to drive, innovating designs, but expensive in repairs/maintenance. So the weak point of the F1 team can be found in their commercial cars as well.

Cheers,
    Huub

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    On a bit of a side note, Josef Newgarden just won his 2nd Indycar Championship in 3 years.
    Time for Gene Haas to talk to Roger Penske about getting Newgarden to replace Grosjean in 2020.....
    Guess who just signed a new deal with Haas this weekend...?

As for Williams: two third places in the constructors' championship in 2014 and 2015..

Lack of money->pay drivers->lacking development of the car->poor results->lack of money etc. etc.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Guess who just signed a new deal with Haas this weekend...?

As for Williams: two third places in the constructors' championship in 2014 and 2015..

Lack of money->pay drivers->lacking development of the car->poor results->lack of money etc. etc.
    Yes and you know what?
    Massa should come out of retirement yet again as I'm quite confident that he'd be their fastest driver.

And he could develop the car better than the 2 current drivers.....

More and more rumours that Ferrari is using an illegal trick to have more power during qualifying......

FIA has not been able to find anything, but the same is valid for the other teams using the Ferrari engine

Cheers,
    Huub

That particular 'Ferrari' rumor is way past its' use by date Huub.
    Whenever the Red Cars go quick the opposition trot it out.

As for Massa coming out of retirement Ed, he wasn't much use previously except as a #2.
    OT but......went to see the first round of the ersatz 'F5000' series last week and Barrichello was less than ordinary.
    He collected a short back and sides in the first qualifying 'race' and ended up on the podium in the abbreviated event the following day thanks to the reverse grid and an early safety car.
    The cars were pretty sad, 13 arrived, 12 started, 1 dropped out and 1 was written off as the driver had only driven an open wheeler back in 1999 and that was an FF1600.
    Bringing 'retirees' back into powerful open wheel cars is not a good idea at all.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Icon2

And...
    We have Seb ignoring team orders yet again....

Yeppers - definitely makes me wonder what kind of career Webber would have had if he were not the "good" team mate.....

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    As for Massa coming out of retirement Ed, he wasn't much use previously except as a #2.
    Please...
    Massa would definitely be better than the current 2 Williams pilots.....

Assuming Williams remain in EffWun Ed.
    With the announcement that Mercedes will be supplying McLaren post 2020 I can't see Williams surviving.
    And really, young George Russell is a much better operator than the current Williams rubbish shows.
    Here's a thought, if the EU departure finally reaches fruition, most of the EffWun operations will face problems if they remain based in the UK...........
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0