B-57 Canberra

Thread: B-57 Canberra

B-57 Canberra

Been slowly working between the Alphasim Jaguar and the Alphasim B-57. I ran into some problems with the Jaguar that have stalled that for the time being, but the B-57 was a bit easier so that's where I am right now. I am using the Pilots manual to redraw all the console avionics panels but my first project has been to fix something that always bugged me about the VC. The two smaller panels to the left and right of the main panel looked "twisted" so the gauges and switches and screws matched the perspective of the box they were modeled for. I never liked the way those components looked and so I decided to fix it. I can't do anything about the modeled portions but I did straighten everything else.

I'm happier with the way it looks now and since there were only a few items that were even workable (gear handle, flaps gauge and gear lights) it took very little to get everything reset. Now I can continue on with the consoles, which will take quite awhile to redraw.

B-57_WIP-2020-jan-3-002 by Ed Wells, on Flickr
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Good to see! Always liked the Canberra, especially the U.S. version. Thankfully, I never noticed the twisted panel!
    America never stopped being great.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    . . . . . Thankfully, I never noticed the twisted panel!
    Well, it's very likely that most folks never had a problem with it, but it didn't look natural to me and I always intended to do what I could to make it look as I would expect it to look if I were in the cockpit and looked left and right at those panels. It really just comes down to personal preference really.

Current System Specs:

Nice work Ed. Glad to hear you’re updating the B-57.

Need to remove the mini-icons. Hate them. I prefer the usual keyboard shortcuts. The mini-icons detract from any realistic panel. Just my two cents.

Carry on.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Well, it's very likely that most folks never had a problem with it, but it didn't look natural to me and I always intended to do what I could to make it look as I would expect it to look if I were in the cockpit and looked left and right at those panels. It really just comes down to personal preference really.
    I reinstalled the original, and you're absolutely right about the panel! Don't know how I didn't see it before, but I'm glad you're fixing it. That can't be unseen.
    America never stopped being great.

SOH-CM-2023
    That will fit nicely in my FSX converted EB-57's
    You can't take the sky from me...

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Say, Falcon. I have sitting the alpha cranberries, converted with armament options, IE: rockets or bombs on dropped object visibility conditions with matching stores from a saved or mission flight.
    It's good fun. Nuclear-armed can also be had. You want the lot for this?

SOH-CM-2023
    Any updates on this?

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Any updates on this?
    Attachment 73576Attachment 73577

Don't mean to hijack...I'm just fixing up a couple of material settings, and I decided I hated the default 5" rockets, so I set up a different armament option- 2 'B' models- rockets or bombs on dropped object condition, with the non-dropped stores on tail hook visibility. I also ran that awful default SEA through GIMP to correct the colours.
    ASWTUB has agreed to take over the quotidian chores of packaging and publishing, along with a revised VC. I'll be passing the lot along latter today.
    It's the full AS package - B bomb and rocket versions, C and EB models.
    Attachment 73582Attachment 73583Attachment 73584Attachment 73585
    Still didn't care for the way the spec was handled, so changed to a single general spec, adjusted the settings again. Now it's working well, and the shine on SEA paints can be toned down, while the black isn't dead. Much better, so off the dropbox.
    Last edited by lazarus; January 22nd, 2020 at 13:56.

Just to clarify, I haven't done anything with the cockpit textures.
    I was working on updating the B-57B with hi-res repaints (based on some B-57B's that my father flew in combat) after someone here provided me with a model that has a working gun sight, better pilots and metallic material properties.
    I was going to also add Tacpack (via TMAP) to it, but then I shelved it when couldn't figure out how to separate (and assign visibility conditions to) the bomb bay ordinance in a way that it would still rotate properly.

That being said, if I can get permission from them, I'll finish the repaints, etc... and upload it.
    Would be fantastic to mate it with Falcom409's updated VC textures.

This is how it looks so far... about 75% finished... in P3Dv3:

Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Any updates on this?
    Sorry Brian, on hold to finish a couple other small projects. I still have the right side avionics to draw (about 12 in all) then it's finished.

Current System Specs:

This is as far as I will go with this. I plan to upload this morning. One caveat: The panels I've updated are eye-candy only (non-functional) they are similar to those found in the "57" but not exact so do not spend the first 5 minutes in the cockpit going over every avionics system to make sure everything is exact based on documentation you have in your library. That was never the intent of this work, rather simply to give the Simmer something to see in his/her peripheral that was recognizable ( the originals were so fuzzy they were indistinguishable).

B-57_VC_001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Current System Specs:

While looking through the Aircraft.cfg file I spotted an old Unit. . .my first out of Tech School (Wheelus AFB, 7272nd FMS). It was an active base from the early 50's to 1970 when King Idris was overthrown by Gaddafi. While I was there (66 - 68) the targets were towed by F-100's, so I'm going to guess that the B-57's were used prior to that because I never saw one on the base.

Current System Specs:

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, Ed. Those textures rally jazz her up. I've been spending a bit of time in the cockpit, now that it's all displaying in a manner that doesn't PMO, and I am impressed with the modelling in the cockpit,and over all. As noted, not a lot of gewagaahs to poke at, but, damn! for the poly count, that's some nice work. It's also a terrific ground attack platform.
    I'll also ask, does any one have a set of blank textures (with panel lines/fasteners) for the externals? Then I can load those into GIMP2 and have it chud out bump maps.
    No promises, the model may not like those, but it's fast if I don't have to daw from scratch.

SOH-CM-2023
    The original paint kit is up on the Virtavia Freeware page.... http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/ind...=/Paint%20Kits

Members +
    Blog Entries
    The original paint kit is up on the Virtavia Freeware page.... http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/ind...=/Paint%20Kits
    I've ordered a cranial air bag. You shove it up your nose, belabour the pump, and the maker claims it jacks one's skull up off the brain, improving synaptic response.
    (wipes drool from chin) Why did I not think of that? (Question begs answer) Thanks, Brian!

Members who have read this thread: 1