Frame rate problems with Carenado C90B King Air

Thread: Frame rate problems with Carenado C90B King Air

Frame rate problems with Carenado C90B King Air

Hi,

I am having a major problem with the Carenado C90B King Air (http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php). The frame rates are going at about 5-10 maybe at most and its basically unflyable due to the fps. Is there a solution out there to this problem, because I haven't found one yet. Any help is appreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by goshawk45 View Post
    Hi,

I am having a major problem with the Carenado C90B King Air (http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php). The frame rates are going at about 5-10 maybe at most and its basically unflyable due to the fps. Is there a solution out there to this problem, because I haven't found one yet. Any help is appreciated?
    Wow, that's an older plane, not the GTX version with the glass panel. I use this older one too and have zero fps problems with it and I'm on a laptop. I do go in and lower all the 16mb texture files way down to 1024x1024 and guage files to 2048x2048, but that's jsut because im on a laptop. But this old steam guage plane shouldn't be causing you any problems. I have had many a problem with Carenado G1000 and G600 planes, I can't run them unless I change out the G1000, like I had to with the 208EX, and the TBM850. I have the old Lionheart Quest Kodiac and I use that G1000, (an old easy on the frames unit) in those Carenado planes and it made the fps jump right up there as if they had normal steam guages. But the old C90 has normal steam guages so I can't understand why you would be having problems with that concerning fps.

Carenado's HD aircraft can be pretty hard on a computer, especially when they are equipped with any of their glass panel instruments/gauges. The Avidyne 500 of theirs is known to be a real frame rate hog, especially when it is in terrain mode.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Is there something I can do?

Carenado C90 FPS

I have found that the fps is also dependent on what freeware/payware fps intensive airports you are flying from and landing at. That with any HD aircraft can be a problem. Check out your fps at the airport with something like the default Cessna 172 and see what you have. Also unless you are using Join FS in a multiplayer mode, you can make your frames "unlimited" to see if that helps too. I'm no expert, these are things that others have told me to do.

Try contacting Carenado?
    Try applying for a refund?

I'll always fail to understand how rendering performance is prioritized way lower than detailing and smoothness (using the term loosely here) and I've returned three of my last four payware purchases due to unacceptable framerate impact and my hardware is by no means weak.
    To be fair, development environments might not make any impact obvious since they're most of the time bare bone configurations optimized for quick startup times. But in an average configuration (lots of autogen, detailed weather, lots of AI, using other add-ons concurrently), it will become evident very quickly how well a work-in-progress add-on will perform.
    More demo versions of payware add-ons and a change in philosophy would be a tremendous help in improving compatibility with sim setups.

Tell us your computer specsto start with. You shouldn't be having trouble with this old plane. If I can run it smoothly on my laptop with just a 1 gig video card anyone should be able to run it. The link you provided just went to the front Carenado page. Are you sure you are running the C90B and not the GTX?

Something is setup wrong somewhere in fsx or you have an ancient computer or something. Have you looked at the fsx tweka an the various forums and tried them? Are other planes running fine? If they have steam guages just like the Carenado does there shouldn't be anything much different in performance. What other paid addons do you have? We need far more info in order to help.

My computer specs are:

Vram: 2gb
    ram: 8gb
    Processor: quad core 3.5ghz

I have my fps set to unlimited, if I go to say friday harbor (default airport) the fps varies in the VC from 5-10, outside view 7-22. If I go to Austin Bergstrom Airport (My home airfield), with addon scenery that works with every other aircraft I have (payware or freeware), I get more like 3-10 fps from VC, and slightly better from outside view. I submitted a support ticket yesterday, so we shall see what comes from that. Would Reinstalling the aircraft help possibly?

My computer specs are:
    Vram: 2gb
    ram: 8gb
    Processor: quad core 3.5ghz
    Would Reinstalling the aircraft help possibly?
    I doubt a reinstall would help.
    You might have to set your scenery etc lower and move your FPS settings down to 25 FPS.
    Given your specs I think (just me, myself) running max FPS could be dragging your performance down.
    Nothing else I can suggest.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I doubt a reinstall would help.
    You might have to set your scenery etc lower and move your FPS settings down to 25 FPS.
    Given your specs I think (just me, myself) running max FPS could be dragging your performance down.
    Nothing else I can suggest.
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot

Your system is not that much different from mine. Perhaps you need to adjust some settings in FSX. The following are my settings and they work pretty well with my aging Core2Quad 9650, overclocked to 3.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, and 1 GB VRAM nvidia 560Ti SOC. I did recently move FSX to a SSD and I can say that it helped my old computer.

Graphics tab:
    Frame rate target: Unlimited (but try limiting to 20, 24, 30 and 60 as these limits work better on some computers).
    Filtering: Anisotropic
    Anti-aliasing checked (you can experiment with filtering settings to see what works best for you).
    Global texture resolution: Very high
    Advanced animations: check

Aircraft tab:
    High-resolution 3-D virtual cockpit: check
    Aircraft landing lights illuminate ground: check

Scenery tab:
    Level of detail radius: Medium
    Mesh complexity: 70
    Mesh resolution: 10m
    Texture resolution: 7cm
    Water effects: High 1x
    Land detail textures: check
    Scenery complexity: Very Dense
    Autogen density: Normal
    Special effects detail: Medium

Weather tab:
    Cloud draw distance: 60mi/96km
    Thermal visualizations: None
    Cloud detail: Detailed clouds, cloud coverage density: Maximum
    Rate at which weather changes over time: Medium

Traffic tab:
    Airline traffic density: 0% (I use Ultimate Traffic 2 which uses its own density).
    General aviation traffic density: 0% (Ultimate Traffic 2 here as well).
    Airport vehicle density: Low
    Road vehicles: 5%
    Ships and ferries: 30%
    Leisure boats: 10%

AI traffic, LOD radius, autogen, shadows, light bloom, and animated jetways tend to be the biggest resource hogs in FSX, especially when using DX9 graphics. DX10 overcomes a lot of these issues, but to use DX10 you really need Steve's DX10 Fixer as MicroSoft never finished implementing DX10 in FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Your system is not that much different from mine. Perhaps you need to adjust some settings in FSX. The following are my settings and they work pretty well with my aging Core2Quad 9650, overclocked to 3.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, and 1 GB VRAM nvidia 560Ti SOC. I did recently move FSX to a SSD and I can say that it helped my old computer.

Graphics tab:
    Frame rate target: Unlimited (but try limiting to 20, 24, 30 and 60 as these limits work better on some computers).
    Filtering: Anisotropic
    Anti-aliasing checked (you can experiment with filtering settings to see what works best for you).
    Global texture resolution: Very high
    Advanced animations: check

Aircraft tab:
    High-resolution 3-D virtual cockpit: check
    Aircraft landing lights illuminate ground: check

Scenery tab:
    Level of detail radius: Medium
    Mesh complexity: 70
    Mesh resolution: 10m
    Texture resolution: 7cm
    Water effects: High 1x
    Land detail textures: check
    Scenery complexity: Very Dense
    Autogen density: Normal
    Special effects detail: Medium

Weather tab:
    Cloud draw distance: 60mi/96km
    Thermal visualizations: None
    Cloud detail: Detailed clouds, cloud coverage density: Maximum
    Rate at which weather changes over time: Medium

Traffic tab:
    Airline traffic density: 0% (I use Ultimate Traffic 2 which uses its own density).
    General aviation traffic density: 0% (Ultimate Traffic 2 here as well).
    Airport vehicle density: Low
    Road vehicles: 5%
    Ships and ferries: 30%
    Leisure boats: 10%

AI traffic, LOD radius, autogen, shadows, light bloom, and animated jetways tend to be the biggest resource hogs in FSX, especially when using DX9 graphics. DX10 overcomes a lot of these issues, but to use DX10 you really need Steve's DX10 Fixer as MicroSoft never finished implementing DX10 in FSX.
    Thank you so much, that worked really well, get almost 60fps in low scenery areas and 25-30fps in scenery rich areas!

Thank you so much, that worked really well, get almost 60fps in low scenery areas and 25-30fps in scenery rich areas!
    And that's about what I get with my old computer. Glad that I was able to be of some assistance.

Members who have read this thread: 0