FSX Native B-26 Marauder Goes "Gold" - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FSX Native B-26 Marauder Goes "Gold"

Coral Princess III up next. Definitely not a Starcer Girl!

Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Hi Don :-)

Good to see you here.

Interesting that push back was an issue for you. I must have used that 12-15 times in the last 2 weeks and never had an issue.
    The main gear is well behind the CoG, like over a foot.
    Do you recall your load-out at the time? Empty, full, etc. ? I'll try to duplicate that problem.

Regarding Track IR5 question; I do not have that but maybe the camera views affect that? You can find them at the bottom of the aircraft.cfg.
    Hi Milton, thank you for the quick answer.

I have to admit that I don't really know what my loading was, as I just loaded the default download into the sim, configured my yoke and throttles, started engines and took off. The pushback crash happened on the first load. Used a different ramp spot the second time, so no pushback needed. Or, maybe something in P3Dv4?
    I have had this happen with other aircraft, but, because of limited RL flying time, I never tracked it down. I used to check my loading regularly, but, unfortunately, haven't been doing it lately. My bad.

Track IR5, I've had this happen on a few other aircraft, also. Maybe need to ask in it's own thread topic.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Just uploaded Coral Princess III...

Duckie

Nice work Team.

SOH-CM-2024
    What??? No pack of Camels on the dash?? JUST KIDDING- All I can say is WOW...

Salutes to everyone involved for what is an absolute gem out of the gate- It's plain to see that the model and all of the liveries were made with love for what you do...

Milton, Milton, Milton... just how do you think you're going to top this?

Congrats to all- Mike Z.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezola View Post
    What??? No pack of Camels on the dash?? JUST KIDDING- All I can say is WOW...

Salutes to everyone involved for what is an absolute gem out of the gate- It's plain to see that the model and all of the liveries were made with love for what you do...

Milton, Milton, Milton... just how do you think you're going to top this?

Congrats to all- Mike Z.
    LOL Thanks Mike.

I will not be able to top this.

My days of new projects have finally ground down. The A-20 Havoc and B-26 Marauder are my last two new projects on the list and they are now released.

My focus now will be on converting some 40 of my older projects to FSX native.

I started this process last Winter and am well into it now with the Aero Commander series done (except for the Wood panel 500), the Spartan Executive, the D18S, AT-11, one of the Avia series, the S2A CDF tanker, the Grumman Mallard TP, and now working on its radial big sisters.

I have enough to keep me busy for a few years, if my eyes hold up.

Fortunately, other people have helped with the Dash7, several of the Trackers (thanks Euroastar350), the Howard 500, and the Spartan (but I wanted to do that one as well).
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Well Milton, I am one person that really appreciates your efforts, and everyone else's. My grandfather has been gone for over a decade, but, I still hold dear hearing his stories of being in the Marauder. "once a day in the bay", "Baltimore W####", and other colorful nicknames that plane garnered.

I'm gonna see if I can get a decent scan of him standing in front of the nose art. His plane was Ol'Smokey and had a guy pushing a lawnmower with a caption that said "thanks a lot bub" if I recall correctly. I may be off a smidge.
    Thanks again to the Marauder team for keeping up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by BrittMac View Post
    Well Milton, I am one person that really appreciates your efforts, and everyone else's. My grandfather has been gone for over a decade, but, I still hold dear hearing his stories of being in the Marauder. "once a day in the bay", "Baltimore W####", and other colorful nicknames that plane garnered.

I'm gonna see if I can get a decent scan of him standing in front of the nose art. His plane was Ol'Smokey and had a guy pushing a lawnmower with a caption that said "thanks a lot bub" if I recall correctly. I may be off a smidge.
    Well, thank you Sir; it's great to hear from you. If there are pics out there, maybe someone will have the heart, interest, and talent to get that paint done.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Very easy to upset a plane moving backwards. Many of the planes I flew were prohibited from backing up using reverse thrust, DHC7-B737-B-747 etc. One could use forward thrust to stop, but not any brakes whatsoever. The chances of fat fingering the procedure was just way too much.

Is there a way to reduce the deceleration at the end of the pushback?

Well, thank you Sir; it's great to hear from you. If there are pics out there, maybe someone will have the heart, interest, and talent to get that paint done.
    There is some good reference material out there for Ol'Smokey. I'd be happy to do a paint for this one if no one has already done it or started it.

Steve
    Duckie

Interesting that push back was an issue for you. I must have used that 12-15 times in the last 2 weeks and never had an issue.
    The main gear is well behind the CoG, like over a foot.
    Do you recall your load-out at the time? Empty, full, etc. ? I'll try to duplicate that problem.
    Hi Milton,

I don't think the problem is caused by pushback decelleration itself.
    On a flat runway, I don't have a problem too.
    But I have a runway with a grass surface behind it.
    If I now do a pushback and the surface changes from concrete to grass (and still going backward) , at exactly that point the B26 tumbles over backwards.
    This is in FSX-Accel, with full (initial) payload and all tanks full.

The solution is simple though: if I move the contactpoints for the main gear (point.1 and point.2) back two feet or so, the problem is gone.

And as to new projects ...LoL : how about making the Bounty working in P3Dv4 (64 bit) ??
    My "controls" and the sounds shouldn't be a problem (there are 64-bit gauges for that now), but the mdl should be native FSX. (which it isn't I guess, since it's made for FS9 ??)
    If you're interrested, drop me an EMail ...

Best regards, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Hi Milton,

I don't think the problem is caused by pushback decelleration itself.
    On a flat runway, I don't have a problem too.
    But I have a runway with a grass surface behind it.
    If I now do a pushback and the surface changes from concrete to grass (and still going backward) , at exactly that point the B26 tumbles over backwards.
    This is in FSX-Accel, with full (initial) payload and all tanks full.

The solution is simple though: if I move the contactpoints for the main gear (point.1 and point.2) back two feet or so, the problem is gone.

And as to new projects ...LoL : how about making the Bounty working in P3Dv4 (64 bit) ??
    My "controls" and the sounds shouldn't be a problem (there are 64-bit gauges for that now), but the mdl should be native FSX. (which it isn't I guess, since it's made for FS9 ??)
    If you're interrested, drop me an EMail ...

Best regards, Rob
    Hi Rob,

Obviously, moving the main gear back prevents the problem but it also creates new ones - ability to rotate properly, ability to hold the nose up on a main gear landing as is recommended, changes the rotational pivot in a turn, and moves the wheels/dust effects back to the new contact point area behind the wheels. :-)

The gear is currently 16.284" behind the FSRef/25% MAC and 17.4" behind the CoG which should be more than enough to deal with the issue as the CoG is at about 24% MAC. This is not a major issue in my view and hope it is not for others. A more appropriate adjustment would be to move Bomb weight forward by .2'. This would change the CoG just slightly (from 23.92 to 23.84% MAC), would not affect takeoff rotation, and have no affect on landings. Here is the solution for the aircraft.cfg Station loads section:

station_load.7= 3000, 0.200, 0.000, 0.000

HMS Bounty: Thank you for mentioning the Bounty. It is on my conversion list and I look forward to getting into that one. You may recall I had to do major surgery to remove lots of parts and polys in the two decks below and also the main deck. Maybe I can put some of that back. :-) I will contact you when I get started on that one. Thank you
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

BrittMac, found this online......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ole smokey.jpeg  

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Hi Rob,

Obviously, moving the main gear back prevents the problem but it also creates new ones - ability to rotate properly, ability to hold the nose up on a main gear landing as is recommended, changes the rotational pivot in a turn, and moves the wheels/dust effects back to the new contact point area behind the wheels. :-)

The gear is currently 16.284" behind the FSRef/25% MAC and 17.4" behind the CoG which should be more than enough to deal with the issue as the CoG is at about 24% MAC. This is not a major issue in my view and hope it is not for others. A more appropriate adjustment would be to move Bomb weight forward by .2'. This would change the CoG just slightly (from 23.92 to 23.84% MAC), would not affect takeoff rotation, and have no affect on landings. Here is the solution for the aircraft.cfg Station loads section:

station_load.7= 3000, 0.200, 0.000, 0.000

HMS Bounty: Thank you for mentioning the Bounty. It is on my conversion list and I look forward to getting into that one. You may recall I had to do major surgery to remove lots of parts and polys in the two decks below and also the main deck. Maybe I can put some of that back. :-) I will contact you when I get started on that one. Thank you
    Hi Milton,

Yes, you are right on all counts of course .....
    I'll try the new setting ...

As to the Bounty... just give me shout when you are ready for it ...

Cheers, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    BrittMac, found this online......
    Wow, never new there were pics online of her. Let me email some fam and see if they have his pic standing by the nose. Awesome find!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    There is some good reference material out there for Ol'Smokey. I'd be happy to do a paint for this one if no one has already done it or started it.

Steve
    That is most generous, and I will not turn down the opportunity! I can't believe I never googled his plane. I'll get on that right now. May even find his pic. I'm sure my mother had posted it on the Marauder site at some point, which would explain the reference material I suppose.

Awesome guys, thank you so much for even looking into this.

O.K., then. I'll assume that since no one has claimed a start on Ole Smokey, I will. Yeah, I know, "ASSUME", but if I'm wrong then we'll have two of Ole Smokey!

Interesting paint scheme with some Mottling on top surfaces and engine nacelles in the same color as the mottling.

Steve
    Duckie

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    O.K., then. I'll assume that since no one has claimed a start on Ole Smokey, I will. Yeah, I know, "ASSUME", but if I'm wrong then we'll have two of Ole Smokey!

Interesting paint scheme with some Mottling on top surfaces and engine nacelles in the same color as the mottling.

Steve
    It is really neat Duckie. The pic of my grandfather is when the nose gear door is not so weathered. I've found a couple pics now (thanks to you guys looking into it, and thus me too), and the other pics are REALLY weathered. I found a side profile of Ole Smokey from Markstyling's aircraft illustration website. It's awesome. There is a paragraph under the side profile that lists the crew, and sure enough, my grandfather is listed. Lt. Clifford Bailey. Really, not trying to be a dork, but I kinda teared up a little.

Aaaanyways. Good times. I'm gonna email the illustrator and see if he would do a commission for me, with my gpa pictured to the side of the paragraph. I'm really excited about all this. You guys rock. Thanks for reigniting this flame!

Great to hear you've found some photos. Nothing dorky about being proud of family!

Here's a progress shot early in the process.

Duckie

Awesome! Long story short, I found artwork of his plane, including a crew list (that has my Gpa on it! I know I said this earlier, but, its really cool to me). But, I don't want to throw that up on a public site. I'm gonna email the person with a request to add my Gpa's pic to the profile as a commission. The pic shows the prop spinners in blue, like the wording for Ole Smokey, but, there is more to it. I'll help in any way I can, but, I don't want to step on the profile artists toes. It looks great btw!

I've reached out to my sis and mother to get better pics of my grandfather in front of Ole Smokey. I have looked and looked on my HD's and can't find the pic I thought I had. So, I'll update this as soon as I can.

I know the profile you're speaking of. Any help with nose art and other particulars that may vary from the available profile would be most appreciated.

Steve
    Duckie

Just a few words in French ... "Chapeau bas Messieurs"

Nose art and fuselage mottling is done...

Duckie

Fantastic work Steve, a definite download for me.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Exquisite work Steve...!

I look forward to adding this to the growing collection of your paints.

Members who have read this thread: 3