KASH Boire Field Airport
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: KASH Boire Field Airport

KASH Boire Field Airport

In checking VATSPY this morning, I noticed atc at an airport I had not heard of before and when checked on AIRNAV was surprised it was small though is a controlled airport. I am having more fun lately creating than flying so I checked to see if it has been updated payware or freeware and did not find it for FSX/P3D. Anyone here done it or decide to do it "this week" so I don't spend time that could do a different one? Let me know. I have all my Google Earth photos. I was going to use the default buildings but they just don't do it for me so I will be doing custom hangers in Sketchup and have found out how not to be frame hogs. I have three of my own created airports and even with a lot of AI I did with AIFP3 I am getting in the high 40s with the default fsx. and 30's with a Carenado Kingair. I am watching this for replies.

I've started working

This afternoon I have begun working on KASH Boire Field, Nashua NH. I've got about 25% of the hanger models done in Sketchup. I used One-click Hanger and I really like it a lot. Experimented a bit with it this afternoon, too with scaling and got a good model I think of the FBO. Last one I did for today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBO Hanger.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	83355

Lookin' good! I'm just delving into Sketchup myself. It sure makes things easy!
    America never stopped being great.

Be sure to clean it up

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    Lookin' good! I'm just delving into Sketchup myself. It sure makes things easy!
    Google the "Clean-up" addon for Sketchup so that you can make your buildings Flightsim friendly. It makes a big difference once they are converted into bgl's with the frame rates.

The Tower Building

When I first started this project I just figured that an airport in Nashua NH with one runway and 5 taxiways can't be very complicated can it? THEN...I opened it up in Google Earth and it is really involved but I like the challenge. I started this yesterday and it needs a few tweaks but I wanted to be sure it worked in MDCx and then in FSX and not be surprised like I have been in the past. Here is a screenshot. There is lettering on the brick in the front but I can't read it. I telephoned the Tower but no one was there. I called the FBO and got a really receptive CSR there but he couldn't remember exactly what it said and couldn't leave the FBO unattended. He suggested that I call the tower on Monday and ask them for help. Then I will open it up - put on the lettering and the antennas on the top of the control tower. If you look closely you can see the coffee bar inside through the big glass wall. Its all done Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Tower Building.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	609.6 KB 
ID:	83371
    in Sketchup 2016 even adding the coffee bar. It was just too empty in there with all that glass. All of this is done by hand (except the coffee bar and the railings).

Is this the same tower?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

That is it

I looked and looked but couldn't find anything online just a lot of aircraft photos on their facebook pages. Thank you for that. I will add the type to the field side which this is. You don't happen to have nice shots like this of the other side do you? That is the blurry Google Earth parking lot side I need too.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I looked and looked but couldn't find anything online just a lot of aircraft photos on their facebook pages. Thank you for that. I will add the type to the field side which this is. You don't happen to have nice shots like this of the other side do you? That is the blurry Google Earth parking lot side I need too.
    I believe the other side simply says "Aviation Center". I could make out "Center" but the other word was blurred enough I couldn't figure it out, until I saw this pic.

Addendum: Here's a shot of the parking lot side and maybe I was wrong here. Looks like this side has nothing on the Tower:

Current System Specs:

Where are you getting these shots

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I believe the other side simply says "Aviation Center". I could make out "Center" but the other word was blurred enough I couldn't figure it out, until I saw this pic.

Addendum: Here's a shot of the parking lot side and maybe I was wrong here. Looks like this side has nothing on the Tower:
    This gives me a good shot of this side. I wish Google Earth had nice street shots like some do but no such luck. The shot I need is cut off from the left of this photo. It is on the brick wall that is part of the front not visible here. I do really appreciate you posting these. I will be doing updates today but I also think these shots are perhaps older than Google Earth has (2020). Any idea from your info where the airport beacon is located on the field? I could not find it on the architectural drawing which is really fantastically detailed dimensions and all. Every building is individually identified. I am going to call the field on Monday morning which the FBO said to do and ask them if you don't have any shots of that front parking lot side brick wall.

Street level images using Google Earth Pro (free download).

Current System Specs:

A few more, I did not see any obvious Airport Beacon, but it may be on the tower roof, I just couldn't tell for sure: The first image shows either an AWOS or ASOS (can never remember the difference, lol) I have one of what is pictured. . .made it for one of my airports.

Current System Specs:

Found this if it's any help...

Small letters may possibly be (I'm guessing here): "Nicholas N. Tamposi"

Large letters are: "Aviation Center"
    "Daniel Webster College"

The OMS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19432968-19432968.jpg  

Thanks Again

A few more, I did not see any obvious Airport Beacon, but it may be on the tower roof, I just couldn't tell for sure: The first image shows either an AWOS or ASOS (can never remember the difference, lol) I have one of what is pictured. . .made it for one of my airports.
    Just did some tweaks to the tower building and thanks to Old MSgt below I will see about the front of the brick. I may wait until Monday when(if) I get to talk with someone in the tower and see if now that Daniel Webster College is closed and sold if they are or have taken off some or all of the letters off the tower building. I'll post here on Monday if I can get an answer to that. Thank you all for your help and photos. I will continue to make the minor changes to the building that I have seen from these.

This gives me a good shot of this side. I wish Google Earth had nice street shots like some do but no such luck. The shot I need is cut off from the left of this photo. It is on the brick wall that is part of the front not visible here. I do really appreciate you posting these. I will be doing updates today but I also think these shots are perhaps older than Google Earth has (2020). Any idea from your info where the airport beacon is located on the field? I could not find it on the architectural drawing which is really fantastically detailed dimensions and all. Every building is individually identified. I am going to call the field on Monday morning which the FBO said to do and ask them if you don't have any shots of that front parking lot side brick wall.
    Beacon is near/on the very last building at the south end of the airport near the threshold of Rwy 32.
    Link to the FAA airport diagram (pdf) also shows the height: http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2106/05036AD.PDF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KASH Beacon 2.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

SOH-CM-2023
    If I had something to drive other than my company work truck, and I had the time this weekend for a road trip, I'd go get you some shots. Nashua is about 3 1/2 hours from me.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Yep, found it!

Current System Specs:

OK and thanks both

Thank you for both of those photos. I went back to the Jeppsen Airport Chart and I can see a "star" at the last building by Runway 32 and a height of 245 which is 45 feet higher than airport elevation so I would say that tower is 45 feet high. You can see a tower in Google Earth but again blurrys. I will add that later to the ADEx layout. Keep the "cards and letters" coming and this will be as accurate as we can make it and I will be sure to share here. I am going to Office Depot on Monday and get a decent copy 17x22 of the architect's drawing.

that is above and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    If I had something to drive other than my company work truck, and I had the time this weekend for a road trip, I'd go get you some shots. Nashua is about 3 1/2 hours from me.
    Thanks for you offer. I am going to see if someone at the airport will take some "phone shots". I did a West Virginia airport a few years ago and a very nice young lady in the FBO shot a dozen for me of the back of the buildings not visible at all on Google Earth. Sometimes Facebook pages give really good shots but the flight schools just shot their planes and grinning "solo's". If the person you call is not grumpy that day they are usually amazed with what we do.

Finally got an answer

Yesterday with the exception of the lettering on the tower building I completed it and was able to create a bgl for ADEx. It looks great on the field IMHO. I also went to Office Depot in town this morning and got the pdf of the architectural plan enlarged to a bigger size to be able to read it and start with placing the hangers I have done so far.

Well, this morning I started my quest about the letters on the tower building. The first call to the Airport director still got no answer so I left a message but I am too impatient so I started looking for links on their website. There are 18 businesses at the airport listed with telephone numbers and I started at the top. After 6 "no answers" I got a very helpful pilot at Nashua Jet Aviation to give me a definitive answer: "with Daniel Webster College closing, all the lettering has been removed from the tower" so with my tower now complete it is ready for final placement on the airfield.

Name:	KASH Tower Front From Parking Lot.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	83421

Name:	Tower Bldg Back Side.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	83422

I want to thank all of you who took the time to help with this and I am off to the "construction site" to work some more on Nashua Boire Field buildings.

Today's Update

I got a telephone call this morning from the airport manager. He confirmed that they DID remove the Daniel Webster College lettering but he was not sure if anything else was put up and is going to send me some photos. I found this photo on a news site so this may be what is up there now:

Name:	AirportA-1100x733.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	83437

I am going to leave it blank until I get visible confirmation of what is actually on the tower as of now.

Finished up 8 hangers and the FBO Hanger after dinner. Here is a shot on FSX of them. Tomorrow I will do the rest of the FBO and the East Coast Aero Club building which is attached. I found out how to get "on the ground" with photo quality not the blurries that Google Earth does on the street and took 20 shots of so of everything I could for reference.

Name:	Image_210628_202941.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	505.0 KB 
ID:	83438

Also created a photoreal background under the airport with SBuilderX (64bit) which is really cool. I used it a year or two ago and had to refresh my memory how. When I added it to the FSX airport scenery for KASH, top down showed that the airport co-ordinates in FSX were a bit off so I corrected that with a background shot in ADEx and now the runway/airport is exactly where it belongs aprons, taxiways and all. I did the photoreal background because Google Earth shows all kinds of residential areas and FSX is nothing but forest all around the airport. Looks so much better I think now. I am looking forward to sharing this with everyone. Creative juices are flowing again and its fun.

Infinity Aviation and East Coast Aero Club

Had to do some work on these and redo the logos from images into textures but now there is no flickering whatsoever AND frame rates are still high 30's and low 40's in the default C172 FSX. Here are a couple of shots. If I get the chance to work tomorrow I am going to tackle buildings 111 CR Helicopters and 113 and 114 rental hangers behind CR Heli's. Got a lot of good shots of their helicopters so I may try some repaints on the R22 and R44. When this is all done I am going to create some R22 AI for sure along with a few GA aircraft. Here is Building 117:

Name:	Infinity Aviation.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	83473

Name:	UZL5FKSa_o.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	83472

C-R Helicopters Building

Well slowly I am adding buildings one at a time to Boire Field KASH. Here is The C-R Helicopters Office and Hanger building from a few photos and Google Earth. Again it was created from scratch in Sketchup 2016 and converted into a bgl in MDCx. Thanks Arno. I also added the perimeter fence from the architects drawing where it is located. I didn't do any gates but I have photos of them and where they go so if I feel "froggy" I may add them when everything else is done. I have a Sketchup gate that is very close to the photos I have from Google Earth. I am still getting great frame rates by using the "Cleanup App' in Sketchup before exporting them.

Name:	CR Helos 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	544.6 KB 
ID:	83483

Name:	CR Helos 2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	83484

Name:	CR Helos 3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	445.9 KB 
ID:	83485

Haven't tabled this

I will post an update of a few more buildings today as this progresses I think nicely. With BOB! from ORBX my framerates are still in the high 30's to the 40's in FSX on my 5 year old laptop so I am sure that youse guys with better computers will do even better. "Cleanup" in Sketchup is fantastic! I just may revisit NAS Alameda when this is all through and run all of my buildings through it and get rid of the thousands of "poly's" which are the "frame-hogs". As I work on more and more scenery, I learn so much more which to me makes it a lot more enjoyable to work. The biggest advantage of working at Nashua is Gale Architecture Airport Property Information scale drawing which I converted from a PDF to a JPG and laid it under everything in ADEx. It is so much more accurate than Google Earth for that. It EVEN shows the exact location of the boundary fence and gates which I have all placed. Here is what it looks like in ADEx:

Name:	Image_210717_100004.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	542.1 KB 
ID:	83627

I wish I could find this kind of information every time I want to do an airport don't you? It is exact to scale 1:600. My runways and taxiways are ecactly placed (gray); aprons and ground polys green and finished building bgl's yellow. The numbers on each building is its address on Perimeter Road and can be exactly located in Google Earth for photographic details even a lot on the ground that can be panned. Such a joy to work in. I would like to reduce textures but when I try and do "drawcalls" in MDCx V1.6 I get all kinds of errors in compiling to a bgl but when I just convert the bmps to dds's there is no problems at all. Anyone else have this problem or a solution? I have also been converting buildings to 3ds for GMAX which I am using FSX version but some of the buildings are too big so I can't convert them to mdl's. It helps fps's too a lot. A lot of new things learned one scenery at a time. Looking for any comments on the drawcalls issue or GMAX hints.

. . . . . .I would like to reduce textures but when I try and do "drawcalls" in MCX V1.6 I get all kinds of errors in compiling to a bgl but when I just convert the bmps to dds's there is no problems at all. Anyone else have this problem or a solution? I have also been converting buildings to 3ds for GMAX which I am using FSX version but some of the buildings are too big so I can't convert them to mdl's. It helps fps's too a lot. A lot of new things learned one scenery at a time. Looking for any comments on the drawcalls issue or GMAX hints.
    I haven't done any scenery in ages, but I did use MCX for "Drawcalls". I never got errors (pop-ups stating there was a problem), however from time to time I would find that after running drawcalls there would be misaligned textures in the building. I would eventually have to do that building as individual textures. Ideally, what you're supposed to do (based on the payware things I've seen) is to build your own texture sheets and use those when texturing your buildings either in Sketchup or GMAX. It's time consuming, boring work and I don't have the patience for that, lol. Using the drawcall option in MCX has always worked for me and my scenery is always framerate friendly (at least on my system). I also use the "Cleanup" plugin.

Current System Specs:

Both Versions

I haven't done any scenery in ages, but I did use MCX for "Drawcalls". I never got errors (pop-ups stating there was a problem), however from time to time I would find that after running drawcalls there would be misaligned textures in the building. I would eventually have to do that building as individual textures. Ideally, what you're supposed to do (based on the payware things I've seen) is to build your own texture sheets and use those when texturing your buildings either in Sketchup or GMAX. It's time consuming, boring work and I don't have the patience for that, lol. Using the drawcall option in MCX has always worked for me and my scenery is always framerate friendly (at least on my system). I also use the "Cleanup" plugin.
    Just "for giggles" ( I have both versions of MDCx on my system V1.3 and V1.6) I tried and I found out that I CAN use drawcalls in V1.3 successfully and also that sometimes it compiles bgl's when V1.6 will give me an error who knows why. Even Arno has scratched his head when I have something glitch. It could well be just my ACER laptop's funny way. Anyway, I got another building done WITH drawcalls for some of the bmps and then the rest of them as dds and it works. Onto the next one next week. I take Sunday's off for church and for a day of rest. Thank you for your insight.

Members who have read this thread: 1