danica's big hit - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: danica's big hit

Hey All,

I have never said Penske isn't a great guy and a man truly dedicated to motorsport. There is no question about that. I am simply pointing out that in NASCAR he has met his match - a motorsport in which he hasn't in 30 odd years even been able to match the one Championship won by Alan Kulwicki or Tony Stewart as an owner. This does not take away from the greatness of the Captain in motorsports in general - everyone has challenges in their field of endeavor they just could not overcome - yet. I really hope Brad Keselowski can win one for Roger - if any driver out there can it's Brad.

That the rest of the world doesn't follow NASCAR is their problem. I like watching Ute races and look forward to following the upcoming season. Who else in North America follows Utes?

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Who else in North America follows Utes?

-Ed-
    I don't know about Ute racing but if you check the forums, there are a lot of Americans who like the Ute in itself & would also like it brought to America as an El Camino. :mixedsmi:

SOH-CM-2024
    Utes are just foreign truck races, personally I think the NASCAR Truck series is the closest we come today to old time stock car racing. The vehicles look like what you buy. They can race in a pack on any track, and they don't make no never-mind when it comes to mixing it up a little.

Not the same animal Caz.
    An Aussie 'Ute' is built on a passenger car platform, the original concept being a vehicle that paired sedan comfort with carrying capacity for half a dozen Hay bales, a few Sheep, or a couple of 44 gallon drums of diesel.
    In other words, a vehicle aimed squarely at the 'man on the land', a 'Utility Vehicle'.
    When we were kids Utes were the popular means of hauling two dirt bikes, four surfboards, a pile of skin diving gear and a 'rib' with bonus sleeping and/or fornicating space!
    The nearest thing to an American 'Pickup Truck' was the 'One Tonner', a much heavier chassis with a plain flat bed, retaining the basic Ute cabin.
    Only Tradies and Farmers bought them.
    Today's 'Ute Racing' is pretty much the bottom of the food chain, the bulk of the grid is made up of drivers who never made it up to Level 1 or Level 2 in the Supercars, except for two reserve Supercar drivers who run a few races to keep their hand in, and who eat the regulars, along with people who can't get a drive in Supercup or GT.
    Originally intended as a basic 'fun' series for the less financial enthusiasts [similar to the mind numbing 'Kingwood' and equally boring 'Gemini' series] they were rapidly taken over by well funded but talent-poor Muppets.
    The present series are quite expensive to prepare, despite the sold rear end and road rubber, these cars are a long way from the road versions, but the Bogans love them.
    I tend to regard them as comic relief, if I want serious racing at lower levels it comes in spades with Formula Ford or the Aussie Legends [borrowed from the US Legends] series.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

nascar trucks are car racing chasis modified in the cockpit area to accept the truck body,but are the same basic "car chasis" as any other stock car...and we used to have El Caminos,ford rancheros...and my fav was the farily rare GMC sprint...

Interesting during the interview that Danica stated that quite a few fans asked her about the removal of her hands from the wheel in her accident. As she correctly stated, it's typical open wheel response. I just wish she would've mentioned a bit more of the "why" behind it (that is, how many Indy drivers have received broken wrists due to them not letting go of the wheel on impact).

I was thinking the same. She sort of alluded to it at one point but for the most part just said "it's an Indy Car thing." What has me a bit puzzled is why it shouldn't be the same for NASCAR cars. If you have the wheel turned hard when wall imapct occurs, seems like the same could happen, when the wheels are snapped around in a milisecond back the other way. Why are so many NASCAR people focused on this apparently unique behavior? They should all be doing it when in that situation, no?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

one of the things she said was...she should have probably tried to keep driving the car..which is what alot of drivers do...i never went 180+mph...but ive been to 160+ in a sprint car and i never took my hands off the wheel..ever..i was taught not to put my thumbs inside the wheel...ever..and to get my hands "paml up" and on the bottom of the wheel as fast as i could while flipping.or hitting the wall..otherwise i allways tried to "drive it"..i never broke anything...but i saw a guy in a sprint car lose a hand when he let go of the wheel and the wing bent just right..and the edge of the sheetmetel cut his hand off,i dont know makes the currant wings..but in my day ( so to speak) we had the local sheetmetal shops ( people call'em HVAC shops nowadays?) buidling them from sheet aluminum

Hey All,

It also seems to me that steering wheels doing severe "jerky jerky" would be much more of a hazard in a car with no fenders compared to one with. A crumpled fender can reduce that motion.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Removing one's hands from the wheel has been a basic rule [open wheeler, tintops, whatever] for as long as I can remember, and that goes back to the mid-60s when I started club racing my road cars.
    Envelope bodied cars might have been less of a problem glancing off a wall at an oval years ago, but I doubt the tin can shells on the curent cars would do much.
    I'll qualify that by saying once your drive has [in one's judgement] gone past the point of saving self preservation is the be all and end all, adopting the foetal position is almost mandatory.
    Similar common sense applies to bikes, if it's going out from under you [and you have time] then the hands go under arm pits and the arms are crossed over the chest.
    Attempting to hold my RSV4 cost me a little finger last year.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Too bad she and all the others got caught up in that needless 2nd lap incident....

I must give the girl credit Ed, way behind but she at least got back in the car.
    Not that I'm a 'Fan'.....yet.